Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Meereen

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 14 September 2018 - 03:17 PM

Meereen says: "...if Meereen leaves play, discard your hand and return each card you placed under Meereen to your hand."

I'm not sure how cards *under* a card would normally behave if the host card leaves play, but thankfully Meereen's text instructs us on what to do in that situation, overriding any default behavior (whatever it would be).

Delayed effects resolve after their condition occurs, so Meereen's delayed effect resolves after Meereen leaves play. Transition between areas is simultaneous, so there is no point in time at which Meereen is no longer in play but not yet in your hand. Therefore, it goes like this:

- Scaling the Wall resolves, Meereen leaves play and enters your hand

- Meereen's delayed effect resolves, you discard your hand, and return cards that were under Meereen to your hand.

The whole interaction is somewhat awkward timing-wise (there is a point in time at which Meereen is no longer in play, but the removed cards are still "under" it), but this is the only interpretation that seems plausible to me in view of Meereen's own wording.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

GetBackBaby

GetBackBaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi all,

My opponent play a Scaling the wall by exemple and chose to return Meereen in my Hand. 

Is Meereen return in hand before or after applying it delayed effect? Important to know if it will be discarded from my hand.

And what happens about the cards under Meereen? Did they be discarded (like tokens, elements on a card, ...) when Meereen leaving the play area (due to the words "under Meereen") or just stayed in their out of play area? In other words, can I recover these cards to my Hand in this situation?

Thx in advance for answers.

Best regards,

GBB.

• mplain and GetBackBaby like this

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
✓  Best Answer

Meereen says: "...if Meereen leaves play, discard your hand and return each card you placed under Meereen to your hand."

I'm not sure how cards *under* a card would normally behave if the host card leaves play, but thankfully Meereen's text instructs us on what to do in that situation, overriding any default behavior (whatever it would be).

Delayed effects resolve after their condition occurs, so Meereen's delayed effect resolves after Meereen leaves play. Transition between areas is simultaneous, so there is no point in time at which Meereen is no longer in play but not yet in your hand. Therefore, it goes like this:

- Scaling the Wall resolves, Meereen leaves play and enters your hand

- Meereen's delayed effect resolves, you discard your hand, and return cards that were under Meereen to your hand.

The whole interaction is somewhat awkward timing-wise (there is a point in time at which Meereen is no longer in play, but the removed cards are still "under" it), but this is the only interpretation that seems plausible to me in view of Meereen's own wording.

GetBackBaby

GetBackBaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Ok!
Thanks for the answer, mplain.