Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Ruling] Balon Greyjoy (KotI) / Old Wyk

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 20 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

Balon Greyjoy (KotI)'s ability creates a delayed effect ("shuffle into owner's deck") that does not say "if that card is still in play", unlike all other similar effects. It appears that the delayed effect is not based on the initial effect at all. Thus, it seems that I can trigger Balon, kneel my faction card, and choose an event in my opponent's discard pile (or a copy of a dead character), fail to put it into play, and then at the end of the phase shuffle it into the opponent's deck from the discard pile. Does it work like that? Might be a tool to combat recurring events (e.g. Dragon Is No Slave).

The same issue applies to Old Wyk. It would seem that if I trigger Old Wyk while Barring the Gates is revealed, it would fail to put a character into play, but when I win/lose the challenge it would still bounce the character from the dead pile to my hand/bottom deck. Does it work this way? Or is the delayed effect somehow dependent on putting a character into play?

The delayed effect on each of these abilities will apply only if the affected card enters play. This will be further clarified in an upcoming FAQ.

[Danny Schaefer, 20.08.2018] Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts

Balon Greyjoy (KotI)'s ability creates a delayed effect ("shuffle into owner's deck") that does not say "if that card is still in play", unlike all other similar effects. It appears that the delayed effect is not based on the initial effect at all. Thus, it seems that I can trigger Balon, kneel my faction card, and choose an event in my opponent's discard pile (or a copy of a dead character), fail to put it into play, and then at the end of the phase shuffle it into the opponent's deck from the discard pile. Does it work like that? Might be a tool to combat recurring events (e.g. Dragon Is No Slave).

Balon Greyjoy (KotI)

Action: Kneel your faction card to choose a card in an opponent's discard pile and put it into play under your control. At the end of the phase, shuffle that card into its owner's deck.

The same issue applies to Old Wyk. It would seem that if I trigger Old Wyk while Barring the Gates is revealed, it would fail to put a character into play, but when I win/lose the challenge it would still bounce the character from the dead pile to my hand/bottom deck. Does it work this way? Or is the delayed effect somehow dependent on putting a character into play?

Old Wyk

Reaction: After you initiate a challenge, kneel Old Wyk to put the top Drowned God character in your dead pile into play knelt, participating as an attacker. If you win the challenge by 5 or more STR, return that character to your hand. Otherwise, place it on the bottom of your deck.

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
✓  Best Answer

The delayed effect on each of these abilities will apply only if the affected card enters play. This will be further clarified in an upcoming FAQ.

[Danny Schaefer, 20.08.2018]