Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Ruling] Assault from the Shadows

- - - - -

Best Answer mplain , 27 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

If I use Assault from the Shadows to put The Hand's Judgment into shadows, can I then play HJ for free to cancel any event, regardless of its printed cost?

This is correct. Hand’s Judgment will gain Shadow(0) because the X from Assault’s ability is defined based on Hand’s Judgment’s printed cost, which is an undefined X value that defaults to 0. The “X is that card’s printed cost” aspect of Hand’s Judgment will be irrelevant when playing HJ from shadows, since that X refers to Hand’s Judgment’s gold cost and has no relationship to its shadow cost. Therefore Hand’s Judgment can be played from shadows to cancel an event with any cost.

And if I use the agenda to put The Things I Do For Love into shadows, I can only play it at a 0-cost character, correct?

Correct. Like Hand’s Judgment, The Things I Do For Love will gain Shadow(0). However, the targets of TTIDFL are restricted based on the value of X, as defined by its gold cost. Because you are not paying the gold cost for TTIDFL when playing it from shadows, X will be undefined and default to 0, only allowing you to target 0-cost characters.

[Danny Schaefer, 27.10.2018] Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

If I use Assault from the Shadows to put The Hand's Judgment into shadows, can I then play HJ for free to cancel any event, regardless of its printed cost?

And if I use the agenda to put The Things I Do For Love into shadows, I can only play it at a 0-cost character, correct?

mplain

mplain

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1442 posts
✓  Best Answer

This is correct. Hand’s Judgment will gain Shadow(0) because the X from Assault’s ability is defined based on Hand’s Judgment’s printed cost, which is an undefined X value that defaults to 0. The “X is that card’s printed cost” aspect of Hand’s Judgment will be irrelevant when playing HJ from shadows, since that X refers to Hand’s Judgment’s gold cost and has no relationship to its shadow cost. Therefore Hand’s Judgment can be played from shadows to cancel an event with any cost.

Correct. Like Hand’s Judgment, The Things I Do For Love will gain Shadow(0). However, the targets of TTIDFL are restricted based on the value of X, as defined by its gold cost. Because you are not paying the gold cost for TTIDFL when playing it from shadows, X will be undefined and default to 0, only allowing you to target 0-cost characters.

[Danny Schaefer, 27.10.2018]

Lohn

Lohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
And what about rituals of R'hllor?

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Like The Things I Do For Love, the X will be undefined and default to 0, letting you target 0 characters. But that means it won't affect the game state, so you cannot play it from shadows at all.