Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jabba's Palace Theme Deck

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

jc1138

jc1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Does anyone have advice on how to make a decent Jabba's Palace themed deck?  I'm looking more for a fun, thematic, and yet still viable deck, but obviously it won't be optimal.

I'd like to start with a base of 2x New Jabba and 2x Jabba's Orders (for the awesome Jabba's Palace enhancement). 

I want the deck to be only things that are thematically appropriate to the first act of RotJ, so no Xixor, Doole, IDLYE, and so on.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Before the new Jabba I used to play 2x Salacious, 2x Core Boba, 2x, Hunters, 2x Xizor, 2x Jabba, so maybe switch out the last two.

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Here's an old mono-Scum deck that I used to run:

x2 New Jabba, Xizor, Dengar, Pilot Boba

x1 IDYLE, Hunters

Honestly I think you may be limiting yourself a bit too much by that thematic restriction because Xizor is one of the best Scum pods in the game and I'm a huge fan of IDLYE as well. To start, I'd take the above deck and swap out the two one-ofs with Jabba's Palace.

So the tricky problem with Scum is that they have a weird resource curve; good pods with 1/1 resources aren't easy to come by in mono-Green decks and in the deck I recommended you don't have any at all. I've always gotten around that by cramming my deck with lots of 2-resource objectives. Having four more or less guarantees that you'll draw into at least 1 on the objective flop while having six guarantees that you'll draw into at least 2. Six resources means you can play a 2/1 resource and an Elite 5-cost unit (Jabba or Xizor) on T1. If you can get the big guys out then you don't need a lot of resources on your second turn (remember, Captured only costs 3).

In terms of synergy, Pilot Boba is kind of the odd one out but thematically he's a definite inclusion. But doubling up on him gives me two more 2-resource objectives, 2 more uniques I can use for Scheme, more resources, a high edge count and Boba is versatile as both a unit and a pilot.

Also, I'd totally recommend using the Replacement cards here. I'd swap the Debt Collector in Xizor's pod with It's Beautiful and the Weequay for Aurra Sing. The Debt Collector is garbage (and having eight 2/1s is really too much) and I've had a huge amount of success using It's Beautiful in its place in another deck I've been using. As for Aurra, unfortunately while you're right in that Jabba's Palace is an extremely powerful enhancement it's in a pretty poor pod and even if you're running a Capture-oriented deck you really don't need 4 Weequay Elites. Aurra isn't a great T1 unit but she gives the pod a bump in pips that it drastically needed and she's a versatile closer.

So yeah, there's a thematic deck with a good amount of Capture synergy. What do you think? Also, please keep your posts coming because it's great to talk about the game! I hope you make more topics soon.

• jc1138, Rio and Thaliak like this

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Here's an old mono-Scum deck that I used to run:

x2 New Jabba, Xizor, Dengar, Pilot Boba
x1 IDYLE, Hunters

Honestly I think you may be limiting yourself a bit too much by that thematic restriction because Xizor is one of the best Scum pods in the game and I'm a huge fan of IDLYE as well. To start, I'd take the above deck and swap out the two one-ofs with Jabba's Palace.

So the tricky problem with Scum is that they have a weird resource curve; good pods with 1/1 resources aren't easy to come by in mono-Green decks and in the deck I recommended you don't have any at all. I've always gotten around that by cramming my deck with lots of 2-resource objectives. Having four more or less guarantees that you'll draw into at least 1 on the objective flop while having six guarantees that you'll draw into at least 2. Six resources means you can play a 2/1 resource and an Elite 5-cost unit (Jabba or Xizor) on T1. If you can get the big guys out then you don't need a lot of resources on your second turn (remember, Captured only costs 3).

In terms of synergy, Pilot Boba is kind of the odd one out but thematically he's a definite inclusion. But doubling up on him gives me two more 2-resource objectives, 2 more uniques I can use for Scheme, more resources, a high edge count and Boba is versatile as both a unit and a pilot.

Also, I'd totally recommend using the Replacement cards here. I'd swap the Debt Collector in Xizor's pod with It's Beautiful and the Weequay for Aurra Sing. The Debt Collector is garbage (and having eight 2/1s is really too much) and I've had a huge amount of success using It's Beautiful in its place in another deck I've been using. As for Aurra, unfortunately while you're right in that Jabba's Palace is an extremely powerful enhancement it's in a pretty poor pod and even if you're running a Capture-oriented deck you really don't need 4 Weequay Elites. Aurra isn't a great T1 unit but she gives the pod a bump in pips that it drastically needed and she's a versatile closer.

So yeah, there's a thematic deck with a good amount of Capture synergy. What do you think? Also, please keep your posts coming because it's great to talk about the game! I hope you make more topics soon.

Words!

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
My Tatooine deck was this

2x New Jabba
2x Feeding the pit
2x good Dengar
2x Ponda
1x Rancor (or Doole)
1x Pilot Fett

Sarlaac pit can go on everything and Jabbas objective can grab Spice Visions (it was much better before the errata), another fun trick is that pilot Fett can cost 1 to play on foot if you get Jabba and the pilot enhancement out. Personally i likeOG Jabba better, but he only really works with the new duel faction cards. I did run a removal themed deck mono Scum before.

2x OG Jabba
2x Dengar
2x IGB
2x Ponda
1x Ephant Mon
1x Rancor

May not be completely Jabbas palace themed.

jc1138

jc1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Great replies here, thanks!  

For me it's often a continuum with "fits 100% with theme" on one side, and "can actually win games" on the other, and it can be very difficult to get a deck that works with both.  Theme usually wins for me in how I make most of my decks, but if they aren't decently mechanically sound then they are a bust to play because they can't compete.  I recently played (against myself as always) with a "ANH heroes" (strongly themed around including Luke, Obi-Wan, Han, Leia, Chewie, 3P0, and R2 in the same deck) against a Sith Events deck.  Needless to say the Sith Events deck brutally crushed the LS.

As far as this deck goes, how about No Disintegrations Boba?  He has the 1-1 resource and he is great at one-shot-ing objectives, and fits with the Jabba's palace theme, but doesn't really gel with the capturing mechanic that so many of the other sets around Jabba's Palace have.  Pilot Boba's set is pilot-centric with all of the cards except for the objective itself, but I can see how it could have a place, maybe with Jabba's Sail Barge or the skiff or some other scum vehicles for Pilot Boba to do his thing.

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

In terms of thematic quality, how do you feel about the Hunters? Boushh is canon but Snoova isn't so that's a bit of a conundrum.

I've honestly never been too big on that Boba and not a lot of others are either. Yes Boba is a dependable hitter (although he's not great T1) and he does have a 1/1 but everything else is pretty mediocre/situational. At least the Flamethrower has two pips. I really think the best pod with a Prized Possession is I Don't Like You Either (I really think the only downside to that pod is a situational objective). 

To be honest with you I don't think the core Boba and Slave 1 are that bad of sets but they just didn't age well with the meta. Pilot Boba is a lot of power in one pod and the nice thing is it doesn't really need to play to it's Capture synergy because it has so many tools...

Boba himself is great on foot if you don't end up playing him as a pilot. You're right though that there aren't many Scum vehicles to go around but that also gives more weight to the Headhunter in Xizor's pod because you can play Boba on that unit to trigger a capture and purposely sack the Headhunter to get Boba into the discard pile so he can be replayed with Stay on Target. Slave 1 isn't outstanding by any means; he's solid as a late-game closer but he's also 3-pips otherwise. The discount with the resource is situational but at the same time it's a resource and you can afford to play it with all of your 2-resource objectives. Finally, Stay on Target has value in an edge stack regardless if you can trigger it or not since it has 2-pips. With all of these perks, I don't mind having Bail Out as a dead card. 

• Rio likes this

jc1138

jc1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I wouldn't have a problem with Hunters in a Jabba's Palace deck, since it has Boushh (fits right in with theme), and Snoova is not really out of place, IMO, and does not detract from the theme. 

Xixor, at least the way he is in Shadows of the Empire, on the other hand, is more of a thematic break for me because his criminal dealings are presented as very different than Jabba, as Xixor is on Coruscant and speaks with Palpatine directly.  Xixor is stylish and uses fancy-pants ships, droids, and sleek accoutrements, where Jabba is the debauched despot of an underworld cess-pit.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
I think Droid Revolution is stealthy the best Prized Possession set. :) But I'm extremely biased towards it. However Second place is Ponda. Both add the punch of BTS Fett without the extra weight.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

I actually consider core Boba to be much better than BTS Boba. Both sets have a ton of useless cards, but the armor is nice and most of the times you'd rather want the defensive Boba that can actually create some pretty nasty situations for the attacker. Sure his health sucks, but otherwise he can do some stuff on the defence. I wouldn't play pilot Boba without at least Xizor, but that is clearly the best Boba set.

I think the most fun (your mileage may vary) scum deck revolves around capture effects (and chain effecting them), and most of them come from Jabba themed sets. You kind of need Xizor there too, to play that defensive game, though.

jc1138

jc1138

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

I actually consider core Boba to be much better than BTS Boba. 

This is interesting, and surprises me as it seems like many people really deride core Boba.  I do really like Mandalorian Armor, and wish some of the other character-specific equipment was so strong on their matching character (+3 health and targeted strike).

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

It wouldn't take that much tweaking to make Core Boba a bit more viable.

-Boba himself just needs another health and the same could be argued for the chud (although it's a bit more flexible with the chud because of his solid text)

-The Mandalorian Armor's +3 health is huge but at the same time paying 2 for an enhancement is a hefty price. I'm much more a fan of Sabine's Armor which gets the same job of buffing a character for a minimal price. I'd knock the cost down to 1 and make it +2 health.

-Bounty Collection just needs another pip.

The lack of resource makes it a hard sell as a two-of but it would still be solid. I feel like Ephont Mon was FFG's attempt at remaking Core Boba but unfortunately that pod is kind of a dud as well.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

It wouldn't take that much tweaking to make Core Boba a bit more viable.

-Boba himself just needs another health and the same could be argued for the chud (although it's a bit more flexible with the chud because of his solid text)

-The Mandalorian Armor's +3 health is huge but at the same time paying 2 for an enhancement is a hefty price. I'm much more a fan of Sabine's Armor which gets the same job of buffing a character for a minimal price. I'd knock the cost down to 1 and make it +2 health.

-Bounty Collection just needs another pip.

The lack of resource makes it a hard sell as a two-of but it would still be solid. I feel like Ephont Mon was FFG's attempt at remaking Core Boba but unfortunately that pod is kind of a dud as well.

Ephant Mon might be even worse. That's a great example of a pod where the main is super good, but the rest of it is cards I almost never want to play.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

The lack of resource makes it a hard sell as a two-of but it would still be solid.

Pssst Bounty Collection IS a resource. You love It's Beautiful, and Bounty Collection is the same thing. ;)

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Pssst Bounty Collection IS a resource. You love It's Beautiful, and Bounty Collection is the same thing. ;)

Hardly. I think Bounty Collection is a decent card but it's got a pre-requisite of needing to capture something which most likely means you're having to pay the cost of another card to trigger it. Sure it can nab you a free Capture but that also means you'll be down 2 cards in edge. 

It's Beautiful has no requirement; you just drop it and get an immediate boost. 

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2211 posts

Hardly. I think Bounty Collection is a decent card but it's got a pre-requisite of needing to capture something which most likely means you're having to pay the cost of another card to trigger it. Sure it can nab you a free Capture but that also means you'll be down 2 cards in edge. 

It's Beautiful has no requirement; you just drop it and get an immediate boost.

Like Vast Resources?
  • CoDameron likes this