Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The shorter rotation cycle that SWLCG needed

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

So, in today's L5R LCG article FFG announced that they have shortened the card cycle rotation. So instead of rotating out older cards when the 8th card cycle is released, it has been shortened to the release of the 5th card cycle.

As many others do, I firmly believe that if they had done this with the Star Wars LCG the game would have lasted much longer, as it would have been easier for new players to buy into the game. Plus, certain broken combos would have cycled out much sooner. But instead, the SWLCG got canceled before we got even one rotation.

One can only hope that in the future, we'll see a second edition of this awesome game. I miss playing it. I still have the whole collection, but now my binders just collect dust. 😞

https://www.fantasyf.../mono-no-aware/

• Sergonv likes this

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

MTFBWY should also (probably) not have been released  :P

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

MTFBWY should also (probably) not have been released  :P

Agreed. Or at least it should have been errata'd to include "Limit 1 per objective deck." One might say that that would mean that the "Join Us Or Die" force pack would effectively come with 6 fewer cards than advertised. But they did it to "Along the Gamor Run" from the "Knowledge and Defense" force pack.

stevecat

stevecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Getting rid of MTFBWY is the only real argument for having an earlier rotation; the majority of the first two cycles cycled themselves out of the meta.

• Nuhring likes this

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Getting rid of MTFBWY is the only real argument for having an earlier rotation; the majority of the first two cycles cycled themselves out of the meta.

I have a Sith deck that uses stuff from the Hoth Cycle, and it was extremely effective all the way to the end.

Rio

Rio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2216 posts

I have a Sith deck that uses stuff from the Hoth Cycle, and it was extremely effective all the way to the end.

I still use Killing Cold, but that and Executor are the only Hoth sets worth playing.

Arkard

Arkard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

FFG has a pretty crappy track record of keeping these games going, so I wouldn't put much thought into some rotation plan that might not ever even happen. Although I guess they do own the L5R license, so maybe that will remove some potential issues.

MarioFanaticXV

MarioFanaticXV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I really don't think that rotation was what hurt the game- really, I think the main problem was that FFG never really seemed to advertise the game much. I hadn't even heard of the game until the Opposition Cycle was winding down, and FFG is one of my favorite tabletop companies.

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

...FFG never really seemed to advertise the game much...

There is a lot of truth in that. In fact, I often felt the same way, that there were too many people who had never heard of the games years into its run.

Perhaps doing both a shorter rotation schedule AND more advertising would have made the game hugely successful for many, many years. Maybe changing just one or the other would not have made enough of an impact.