Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Archmage, Arcanis

Archmage Arcanis Domains Resources

3 replies to this topic

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Hi all,

I do not quite understand the design behind The Archmage, Arcanis (Mark of Madness expansion).

It says:

When you play The Archmage, Arcanis, lower the cost by 1 for each neutral resource attached to the domain drained to pay for him.

What is the point? When I drain the domain used to pay for him, even if I have a lot of neutral resources in there, I don't benefit from any cost discount anyways..........the domain remains drained! I still had to stack my domain with those neutral resources, so I don't see how I can get The Archmage to hit the board faster.

So how does this ability make him cheaper to play? Am I missing something here?

Thanks

RichardPlunkett

RichardPlunkett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

The benefit is that you can play him from a smaller domain, and thus likely earlier in the game.

Arcanis has a printed costs of 4, so you could typically only play him using a domain with four resources attached. This would typically be in round three at the earliest.

But as you note, his text says "When you play The Archmage, Arcanis, lower the cost by 1 for each neutral resource attached to the domain drained to pay for him."

In CoC, you don't need to drain a domain that covers the printed cost of a card, only the actual cost. There are plenty of cards that adjust costs of cards out there. A large number of them adjust the cost of "the next card you play" or all cards of a certain type, this one just adjusts the cost of itself, which while rare isn't new (refer to Core set Yog Sothoth).

So, if you had a domain with two Agency resources and one Neutral resource, then you could drain that domain to pay for The Archmage, Arcanis, even though it only has 3 resources.

I concede this is a little weird, since according to the 'Action Window in Detail' section from the FAQ. you are suppose to determine costs before you pay the costs and in the above case you arguably don't know that he costs three until you have already paid that three from that domain. But it is also pretty simple golden rule territory, this card text would be useless if it couldn't actually lower the cost to play the card, so we have to grant it the minimum power needed to do that. The simplest way to grant that power is probably to have the declaration of intent that starts the play action include a declaration of intended domain allowing the correct cost calculation to be made.
But, in practice you more likely just drain a domain, declare the card you are playing and confirm the domain was enough (or rewind with embarrassment if you were wrong).

• Saint7x likes this

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

So........excluding the use of Neutral Transient cards............the earliest I could ever play this card is turn two?

RichardPlunkett

RichardPlunkett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

No, you could play him on turn 1.

You start the game with 1 resource under each domain. On turn one you resource a card.

It would not be normal, but at this point you could have a domain with 2 neutral cards under it, using that domain would reduce his cost to 2, thus that domain would be enough to pay for him.

He is a very respectable body to be playing on turn 1, but having too many neutrals in a deck usually goes badly, as does resourcing too many neutrals, so I doubt this potential for a strong opening play would present any real imbalance to the game. And frankly, it pales to the first round Nug openings Shub-Niggurth can cough up.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Archmage Arcanis, Domains, Resources