Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spring 2020 Online Tournament

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

It is time to hold another online tournament.

We’ve been talking about it for awhile.  I, like many of us, have been busy with other things.  But this week with everything going on I got back out my camera and played a few games on Skype.  It felt good.  So like Kiramode organized a couple years ago, lets have a structured format for online games during these trying times!

Format

Alternate formats have been what’s kept me interested in the game since it stopped being officially supported.  After discussions with other Council members I’d like to use this tournament as an experiment of what the game feels like with a greatly reduced card pool.  Think of it as Core 2.0.

Only official FFG cards

No replacement cards

No special affiliation cards

Only 10 pods per affiliation in the pool

This will let players enjoy the game without having to print out fan made cards, or feel the stale environment of 2018 worlds decks.  The 10 pods per affiliation will be chosen to provide players with a decent resource base, mains and edge tricks.  Most importantly: it’s an entirely new environment with the cards you already have.

Tournament

Like the last Online Tournaments, this one will have a Group Round and then an Elimination Round.  Players will be allocated to a Group to try to best accommodate player availability.  Players within the Group are responsible for coordinating their match times, playing and reporting the games, before the end of the Group Round.

Group Round will last 1 week per match-up players need.

Decks can be changed during the Group Round.  (It’s a new world)

Scoring: Like last time we did an online tournament, there is a tie-breaker system players will need to report on.  A win is considered 12 points.  DS gets points based off the Death Star Dial when they lose.  Ex: losing with the dial at 10 results in 12 points for the LS player, 10 points fo the DS player.  LS tie breaking points are based off objective progress.  4 points for each objective in the LS victory pile + 1 point for every 2 points of objective damage on the board, rounded down, the a maximum of +3.  Ex 1: LS loses with 2 objectives destroyed and 3 damage on the board.  LS gets 9 points.  Ex2: LS loses with 1 objective destroyed and 2 objectives at 4 damage on the board and another at 3.  LS gets 7 points.  Yes, this does incentivize certain decks, we’ll just have to make our peace with that.

At the end of the Group Round the top 2 players in each Group will advance to the Elimination Round.  If there is a tie, points will be examined, if there is a tie there, direct match up between those players will be examined, if that was a tie there will be a play in round.

Elimination Round

Entering the the Elimination Rounds qualifying players will need to lock in their deck lists!  Once all lists are provided they will be posted on Cardgamedb for all to see.  This will let players plan their strategy and also let the rest of us watching place our bets!

Elimination Round will be single elimination best 3 of 5.  Previous tournaments went too long trying to organize games with a double elimination.  Single elimination best 3 of 5 should keep the momentum of the tournament while providing enough chances for your decks to perform.

In the first round the higher seeded player from their group will have the choice of what deck to play first.  In all later rounds it will be decided by coin flip.  Players will alternate playing LS/DS. If a 5th game is needed the player who has more points accumulated during the first 4 games of that one-on-one match up may decide which deck to play in the 5th game.  So keep track of the dial and objective damage in these games too!

Hopefully we’ll have some really exciting games, maybe we can get a video of the final.

And the prize for all this: Community!  Fame -the fortune.  Fame minus the fortune…

Next Steps

A number of things I’m still going to need to figure out, but I think the format of the tournament is clear.  Cardpool will be announced when Groups are published.

If you are interested please respond below by March 31 and include the times that would be best for you to play and your time zone.  If you have questions please let me know!

Ex:  MacRauri.  Weekday 4pm-9pm.  Weekend all day.  CST.

EDIT:  The Cardpool!

mnyXf3I.png

• scwont, AussieJedi, yodaman and 2 others like this

Thaliak

Thaliak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Can you expand on the goal behind limiting each faction to 10 pods? Is the idea to create a format with weaker decks so players can experiment with rarely-seen cards?

• yodaman likes this

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Certainly!

I a nut shell, yes: decks will be weaker and wouldn't be competitive in the 2018 meta, but we'll be playing with interesting pods that never really saw their moment to shine.

We've been drafting in MN for awhile, and the games we've had have been really fun and interesting.  At the same time, it's different than thinking about building a competitive deck.  By reducing the pool of cards to 60 pods of roughly equivalent power level, there should be enough room to build and see pods shine that were permanently eclipsed by other cards available at the time.  Imagine Core if there hadn't been 4 Force Chokes running around.  Or how many of the pods in the last two cycles seemed incredible, but just couldn't be fit in due to how tight the builds already were.

Also, if this is fun and people like it, it can be a model going forward for season play or introducing fan-made content.  The Legends and Frozen in Carbonite pods are really fun to play with, but I don't know how many would make the cut in a 2018 environment.  If the cardpool is reset those pods have room to breathe and players can see the tricks they're capable of.  I want to note: this tournament will be with ONLY FFG cards.  But should people enjoy playing in a fresh environment this could be a good way to introduce new cards.

• yodaman likes this

jollyroger

jollyroger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I'm available to play pretty much weeknights after 8:30 and anytime on the weekends. CST

• yodaman and MacRauri like this

sdrewthomson

sdrewthomson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

I'll play! Currently I'm available all day, every day, except Sundays.

Once things get back to normal I'll be available on Saturdays and most weeknights after 7 PM Eastern.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2768 posts

Count me in.  Since my college has converted to online teaching for the rest of the semester, I'm just going to be home all day doing my teaching, and can pretty much make any time after 1 PM Eastern work except for the occasional online meeting I may have at different points in time. 

Thanks for organizing this, Mick.

• MacRauri likes this

CoDameron

CoDameron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

I'd be interested in participating but don't have access to cards right now. Will there be discussion forums for which pods will be in each group? Or is that being decided on by the council?

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1598 posts
I'm in

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

I'd be interested in participating but don't have access to cards right now. Will there be discussion forums for which pods will be in each group? Or is that being decided on by the council?

Sorry for the confusion: there will be ONE pool of cards.  All groups will be building from the same pool for the duration of the tournament.

Since this is a proof of concept run I'm selecting the cardpool, but in the future it could be something that the Council takes over.  Or other tournament organizers.  I'd be interested in seeing what sort of environments other people cook up!

I hope you'll be able to participate!

Nuhring

Nuhring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

im down

AussieJedi

AussieJedi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Yes sir. I am in. Great job Mick to organize this. Keep us sharp while we are in isolatio or just in general lockdown.

I hope everyone is doing well. Remember to reach out to loved ones if the pressure of having to stay in the house is getting to you.

The Force will be with us. Always

TheNameWasTaken

TheNameWasTaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

I'm in! And I love the idea of a limited cardpool - ever since Logray came out I've had difficulty playing anything but ewoks, this will surely get me thinking in a different direction!

I think I should be available just about every day from 5AM to 11PM UTC (come tournament, I'll be on UTC+3 and home pretty much all day every day).

RoyalAegis

RoyalAegis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

I'd be interested in playing but I really want to see the pod list first.

I think it's a great move to limit this tournament to FFG only cards (for accessibility purposes) and to ban special affiliation cards because I would not be excited going against refresh Energy Spiders and Ewoks again, but the decks I've made recently are decently strong and have too many of the usual suspects I presume. I'm not clamoring to play with Honor Among Thieves or anything.

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

mnyXf3I.png

Ok, I think I finally got this copy image thing down...

Hopefully this Cardpool is enough to entice you RoyalAegis!!

• yodaman and jeremiah1988 like this

Kylar

Kylar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

I'm in! Let's represent Spain in this new tournament  :D  right now, with all the Covid situation, I'm free most of the time. Let's narrow it down to 10h-19h CST (Sun to Thu) and maybe a couple hours more in the weekend.

One question, will we play via Skype, octgn...?

Thanks for the initiative!! 

Kylar

Kylar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Oh important, do last FAQs apply?

MacRauri

MacRauri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Oh important, do last FAQs apply?

Excellent! Glad to have more international participation!
Yes, the last FAQ is in effect. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about regarding the restricted list, but the last errata and rulings are still in effect.

AussieJedi

AussieJedi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

hi Mick,  something to check;

Can you edit the image to have the pod numbers next to it?

It will help a little when looking through my six binders to find my cards

• Kylar likes this

AussieJedi

AussieJedi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

I forgot to enter my availability. every night 8pm eastern till late

Kylar

Kylar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

hi Mick,  something to check;

Can you edit the image to have the pod numbers next to it?

It will help a little when looking through my six binders to find my cards

Yeah, +1 to this! A lot of of never-used sets in the pool lol