Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing ally & attachment vs actions timing in planning phase

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Courchevel

Courchevel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,
I have some issues understanding if i can play cards (ally / att) then do some actions and then play again ally & attachments during planning phase.

Example, i have 2 ressource on Gloin, can i play steward of gondor on him then produce 2 ressources with steward of gondor and then play hardy leadership with the 2 ressources just produced by steward of gondor ?

Sorry for my first post at the wrong place ....
Mike

Hastur360

Hastur360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Hey Mike,

Yes, you can do exactly as you like in your example during the planning phase. If you look near the back of your rulebook there is a two page spread (pg. 30-31) with all the phases of the game. Every area marked in Green is a chance for you to take an ACTION. Now there will be certain cards that will refer to certain phases such as Quest Action, Combat Action, Refresh Action and so on. These can only be taken during those phases but can be played at any chance to play an action during those steps. Hope that helps if not I break it down further.

Courchevel

Courchevel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Hastur360,

Thank you for your kind replys to all my questions. It is more clear and moreover much more logical.

However, I must insist, here in Paris other players keep telling me that actions (even the one of the player whose planning phase is on-going) can only be played only after in a separate block after ally and attachment as specified in the rules. In fact they do not care about the colour (and the meaning of the color) of the box of the turn sequence rule section.

Can you confirm they are all wrong and I am right ? Sometimes, it is difficult, even though it is written and logica,l to convince people using the rules of the game for longer than you that they were doing it wrong !
Mike

Hastur360

Hastur360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
You are doing it right. The planning phase breaks down as such; First player is allowed to play any ally and/or attachment cards he wishes too, also at the same time ANY player can play ACTIONS (i.e. Hero Actions, Ally Actions, Attachment Actions or Events (which would generally be an Action, though a majority of events have to be played at appropriate times.). The breakdown on who gets to play first Action and so forth is based on the turn order beginning with first player.

Then once the First player is done playing his cards to the table, i.e. Allies and Attachments, and players don't want to play any more actions. Then the Second Player can now play his/her cards to the table, again i.e. Allies and Attachments, and again players can play actions based on order.

This is because there are Steps to a Phase. And in the Green box it states = Any player can take actions generally, or
between the game steps stated in the rules.

I see it as giving the players the utmost in flexibility to prepare themselves for the coming Quest and Battles. I would again stress to the players around you this is a cooperative game and not a competitive one and it seems counter intuitive to restrict yourselves during these steps as the game actually allows you to do these things.

As further example this excerpt is from Actions on page 23. "Actions are always optional, and can be triggered
by their controller during any action window in the
game sequence."

Note the first window on page 30 under the planning phase is • First player plays ally and attachment cards. and it is colored Green.

If I am wrong I would love for someone to come in here and set me straight but this is how I have played since the beginning of this game.

Ketaros

Ketaros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Indeed.. had the same problem here.. the main thing is that what was made to help, the break-downs can be read as separate blocks of what we can do, like:

a) Player 1 - Play Allies/Attachments
b ) - All can do Actions.
c) Player 2 - Play Allies/Attachments

It doesnt seems that from step b we can go back and continue doing a.

Would solve this if the text of the block was writen:
"First player plays ally, attachment cards and do actions freely."

Oh well..

Ket

chiller087

chiller087

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
*EDIT* Nevermind, the answer is at the top of page 30. If the item is red, you can't take actions. If the item is green, you can take actions. Done.

Courchevel, you are correct, and your buddies are wrong. Page 30 clearly says that actions can be taken during ANY frame step that is colored Green. Only in the red can no actions be taken.

Micah

Smudgethis

Smudgethis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I had the same question and found the answer on page 12 of the rulebook. 

"Phase 2: Planning - This is the only phase in which a player can PLAY ally and attachment cards from his hand"

This wording suggests that a standard 'action window' does not allow for the playing of allies and attachments. Therefore once player 1 moves onto the standard action window in the planning phase, they can no longer go back a step and play more allies and/or attachments. 

My understanding of it and how I play, if I am wrong then please do let me know.