Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Edge of Darkness Deluxe expansion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I am so stoked for this. I suspected Smugglers was my faction and now that we've seen more cards I'm certain of it. I can't wait for this to drop, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have planned on Smugglers being my faction of choice as well and this just reinforces that fact. Already waiting for Hoth pack 3 and 4 to add some OSets to them but this box will be awesome. I am hoping it drops in May or June even if that means there might be two releases for Star Wars in that month.

And yet Scum and Villainy I still have no interest in for some reason. Other than playing Jabba so I can do his laugh everytime I add a focus token to an enemy unit. :lol:

MercyStreet

MercyStreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

How so? Would you rather get half as many new cards, just so there would be two copies of them?

Yes. For me anyway. Yes.

I really want to play and be involved and support the game, but finances are tight. I'll probably find a way, I had just hoped I wouldn't have to. sigh...

feeweasel

feeweasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't mind having to buy two copies of the expansion. From the previews I want two copies. Hoth hasn't even hit and now this, good times indeed.

MercyStreet

MercyStreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Don't get me wrong, I think it's exciting and I can't wait to play them. I'm just being selfish and cheap ;-)

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
You guys are totally missing the point.. It isn't lame cause you get 1/2 the cards.. (though it is). The real problem is how this effects the longevity of the game. The marketing decision about splitting the packs is just a retarded and total screw up at FFG corporate.

Here is why...

We all like this game, we all want the game to have a life for years to come, and we all want new players to be able to jump in a few years from now.. right? Well this screws that up. Years from now when prints are hard to get (see aGoT major expansions to see what I am talking about) A player who wishes to build a competitive deck or fill a collection has to now track down 2 copies of a set rather than one. In the future it is no longer the case that you can find a old and rare copy of a pack, you have to find 2. This means that it will be exponentially harder for newer players to enter the game. Now we need to wait for full reprints, as if you go to Ebay or a game store you need them to stock 2 at a time instead of 1. If they released them like any normal person would all you ever need to track down is a single copy at any given time when the packs are rare, and this will happen. Anyone can jump into the game look up and/or design a deck they want and track down the cards a billion time easier. The splitting of the packs just makes it harder for collectors and harder for new players to join the competition.

Then don't buy two. You don't NEED to do anything.

Apart form completely missing the point (see above) this is a total load of bullshit. I would bet the vast vast majority of players will buy 2 copies. How many copies of the expansion are you going to buy? Anyone that wants to make competitive decks will get 2 copies. Any OCD collector (oh right that is like 90% of card game players) will get 2 copies.
What this really means is that people with less money will have less powerful decks. Like say I am a broke guy that has just had a new kid or something and things are a little tight... a new pack comes out that has a POD I wish to add to my collecting for a deck I am thinking of.... now I need to buy 2 copies (as pretty much everyone will) and get more cards I am not interested in and basically spend twice the cash.

If there was 2 boxes released at same time, or in short succession but each box was a contained complete set then there would be no such problems for people with less disposable income, there would be no problems with the longevity of the player game due to collection issues and their would be no jumping in issues for new players in later years and it wouldn't have pissed off 1/2 the community. It was juts a douche greedy move from FFG.

Sithborg

Sithborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
To expand on my disapointment, it sort of goes against what I was expecting, and what most of the other LCGs have been producing. I feel stupid now for trying to sell that the core is the only product you have to buy twice.

Again, thinking about it, due to the nature of the pod based deck building of this game, it is definately better to release more sets than to cut it in half. The game is already going to be slow in evolving, in terms of deck diversity, since the Force Packs are only going to have 2-4 sets per side. And most likely, some factions are going to get screwed out of some packs. And it probably is easier to swallow than two different big boxes releasing at the same time.

Still extremely excited, but there is still some annoyance at this.

Bomb

Bomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
I think I am someone who is completely missing the point. As a new player who does not wish to currently expand my reach into competitive play, buying a set with 2x cards that I do not know may need yet would be more deterring than having the option to buy 1x of each card to see if I want to go into the direction of more competitive play. I am currently in a position to be completely all about spending the money on a deluxe box that will get me the remaining objective sets I would like to build a dedicated Smugglers and Spies and a Scum and Villainy deck. If they split those up into 2 separate deluxe boxes where each had 2x cards, I'd be less inclined to spend that money.

My personal preference is to get into the game at a slower pace than to make sure I have 2x of each objective set. At least with this structure, competitive players still have the option to buy 2x deluxe boxes while more casual players can enjoy all affiliations using 1x box... then buy 1x more if they feel that would help them enjoy the game more.

Maybe in the future, splitting the box up between the affiliations(and having 2x of each set) would be a good option along side having the current deluxe box. I don't know.
  • Jhaelen likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

You guys are totally missing the point.. It isn't lame cause you get 1/2 the cards.. (though it is). The real problem is how this effects the longevity of the game. The marketing decision about splitting the packs is just a retarded and total screw up at FFG corporate.

It is just this one expansion box. Force packs you get complete sets. This is basically a second core set for Smugglers and Scum to give them their "starter decks".

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
no it isn't. Might look like that now but then when there is like 5 or 6 out in 2 -3 years they are just like a booster only bigger

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
You have no basis in fact for believing that future deluxe expansions for this game will also come with one of each objective set in them.

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

You have no basis in fact for believing that future deluxe expansions for this game will also come with one of each objective set in them.

What? Are you kidding?

Keggy

Keggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
No point arguing. EoD will require two purchases for playsets, and there is no way of knowing what future deluxe expansions will contain.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

What? Are you kidding?

No. It is a fact that there is not enough information to support either as the future distribution model for deluxe expansions for this game.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Well there is pretty heavy precedent.

Every single other game FFG makes, even beyond the LCGs but clearly in the LCGs follows a pattern in the releases. Pick any LCG and the first pattern you see in the packs and this is how they are all released for the entire run of the game. Apart from CoC that switched to faction expansions recently after being out for 4 years. So while yes there is no "proof" I feel there is a pretty strong indication that it will follow suit and would be very surprised if there are any changes in future releases.

Just sounds like wishful thinking on some people on this thread to expect any kind of change... president just doesn't support it, and in fact indicates that this is how it is going to be. Still you never know.

No point arguing. EoD will require two purchases for playsets, and there is no way of knowing what future deluxe expansions will contain.

True.

Would I have personally preferred single packs? Yes.

Will them not being in single packs make any impression on me? No.

I simply do not care.

DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Not that FFG isn't concerned about the longevity of the game, but I really don't think they should be expected to base their current retail strategy on who might be trying to buy the game when it's out of print/hard to find. They're much more likely to sell an Edge of Darkness with one set of cards for $29.95 than one with two sets of cards at a higher cost. It would probably make the expansion cost more than the core game ($39.95 for 240 cards vs. ??? for 262), which I could see turning a lot of people off.

drfaustus420

drfaustus420

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is just killing me. People whine about everything... it's roughly the same cost as if you got 4 x Force Packs as if you bought 2 x the Expansion packs and you are getting a similar number of PODS (22 instead of 24). If the argument is that you have to buy 2 of the Expansions to be competitive, my argument is that you would need to buy all 4 of the Force Packs to be competitive as well, if they decided to break them up that way. There's gonna be that one GOTTA HAVE Pod in each of the packs. My point is this, I am thrilled to have an expansion coming so soon, you get a huge dump of 4 Force packs worth of cards in one release adding needed depth to the game. I wish it was out today so I could shove my money into the hands of my FLGS.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

I think I am someone who is completely missing the point. As a new player who does not wish to currently expand my reach into competitive play, buying a set with 2x cards that I do not know may need yet would be more deterring than having the option to buy 1x of each card to see if I want to go into the direction of more competitive play.

Ditto!

With every new LCG and every time FFG decides that a box without three copies of every card (or whatever number of copies is the maximum allowed in a tournament-legal deck) the same old rant comes up. Let's just stop flogging that deader-than-dead horse. I'm confident FFG employs a couple of bright people who know way better than Joe Forumposter what kind of expansion configuration will sell best. And if sale numbers should suggest they erred, they'll be sure to be quick to change it.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

With every new LCG and every time FFG decides that a box without three copies of every card (or whatever number of copies is the maximum allowed in a tournament-legal deck) the same old rant comes up.

Maybe they should start taking the hint and pleasing the customers rather than upsetting vast amounts of the player base?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Maybe they should start taking the hint and pleasing the customers rather than upsetting vast amounts of the player base?

Maybe the vocal minority should not assume they speak for "vast amounts of the player base". I am fine with buying multiple sets of this. If I can only afford one at first that is fine as at least I get a copy of every single set to play with until I get the next one, or I buy two the day they come out. Either way same end result.

If they made two releases, one for each affiliation, with two of each set it would cost the exact same as buying two copies of the set with one of each set. So what difference does it make ? Absolutely squat.

In our local LCG group only one person was at first confused about why they "needed" to get two of this expansion. Once two of us explained to him what it came with he said "Oh cool, I'm good now." And that is a group of 27 local area players. So that is 3.7% of our group. Assuming a ratio of 5% holds across the board I don't see that as "vast amounts of the player base". (And yes that number might not hold. There really is no way short of polling LCG players worldwide to figure out what the actual percentage is.)

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Anytime some fan hears criticism they say it is the "vocal minority".. witch incidentally is a political term to spin bad press away form a campaign. Just in the same way I can say people belligerently accept anything agreeable by a company because they are fan boys.. both statements are completely ridicules. Still regardless of your, or my opinion and regardless of if you think you are in the majority or not.. there is a big stink in the fan base every time FFG do this and they could simply avoid it with a release that doesn't upset people as doing it as people have suggested would upset no one.

As I said before I have no real opinion on it, I collect complete sets of all the LCGs. (I have 3 copies of ANR:Core for those 5 cards or w/e it was. This isn't an issue for me. I just hate the way the boards light up about this issue every time, and it "is" an issue to many people, and both sides seams to try and pretend that the other side is being ridiculous. When both sides have valid point. Still as I said.. FFG could stop all of this and make a more solid and fun community by just making multi purchases a non issue and this in turn woudl do nothign but make the community stronger and more fun and earn a larger player base from casuals.