Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Game Images and Play overview

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts
So I got to play the Star Wars LCG at Gencon today and I quite liked it, perhaps even more than Lord of the RIngs.

Two demo decks were available. The game starts off drawing a hand of 7 cards. You then may play 7 cost worth of cards out to one of 4 zones.

The space zone holds your ships, ships are also the cards which produce resources, defend against imperial space attacks, and attack the encounters ships

The Reserve zone has cards which are generally support in nature the most frequent ones you play will draw you extra cards.

The Mission zone holds the characters which go on the mission to try to get progress tokens to advance to the next stage.

The Combat zone holds your attackers which you use to attack the encounter deck's characters.

Once you have played your cards you draw back up to 7 and begin with the first phase Draw. You draw 1 card off the top of your deck and may exhaust any cards at this time in your Reserve zone which allow you to draw extra.

Phase 2 is Mobolize. You play your cards from your hand during this phase and my place one development under your base. Each development under your base allows it to generate that many resources. In addition you can exhaust your ships to produce more resources.

Next is the Encounter phase. Each player reveals 2 cards off of the top of the encounter deck and adds them to the appropriate area.

Phase 4 is the strategy phase where a random Imperial strategy card is revealed. This card leads to phase 5 the Conflict phase.

The Conflict phase is where most of your combat happens, each strategy card will tell you the attacks and the order they are to be made in. Imperial characters are broken up into 3 groups. The names of the groups excape me but the first conflict is always the imperials attacking one of the rebel zones. The Players defend as a group and must assign the damage the imperials deal as they see fit. The next conflict is rebels attacking the zone of their choice.. Once that attack is done the Imperials get another attack and finally the rebels get the chance to go on a mission as the last conflict, being opposed by one of the imperial groups.

After Conflict is done you reach the last phase Regroup. In this phase you ready all cards, move the time counter up by one, each player may move one character to a new zone, and first player gets passed.

I've taken some bad pictures of various cards attached below.

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo Aug 05, 10 53 30 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 05 27 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 01 30 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 01 33 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 01 51 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 02 14 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 02 18 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 02 56 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 03 53 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 04 01 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 04 07 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 05 18 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 34 36 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 11 27 11 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 05 38 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 06 02 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 1 06 10 PM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 33 08 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 34 24 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 35 55 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 37 29 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 37 38 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 37 57 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 38 31 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 38 38 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 38 45 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 38 54 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 39 46 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 40 16 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 40 37 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 40 46 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 40 55 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 41 03 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 41 11 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 41 20 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 41 31 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 42 20 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 53 14 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 53 18 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 53 24 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 10 53 37 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 11 01 41 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 11 09 00 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 11 09 06 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 11 16 43 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 11 17 19 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 11 29 39 AM.jpeg
  • Photo Aug 05, 12 59 58 PM.jpeg

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts
another image I found
chewe.jpg

paranoyd

paranoyd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't know what I was expecting, but I don't really care for the look of the cards. They feel very 15 years ago.

Vase

Vase

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I agree that the cards seem old-fashioned...but since this is Star Wars we're talking about here, old school is cool. I like them. The art is phenomenal as usual. I just wish we could get some news about this game. I want to GET IT....!!!

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts
Well they narrowed it down some to the first half of this year :( Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Well they narrowed it down some to the first half of this year :( Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

what that long? Man I thought late jan :( your talking like may or somthing

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts

what that long? Man I thought late jan :( your talking like may or somthing

Originally I think they were shooting for early this year but as of the last thing I've seen on BGG from Christian Petersen says "We stand by our estimate of early 2011 (sometime in the first half of the year)."

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
omg... I am so looking forward to this game... !!! Wish it was out now.

wormiespice

wormiespice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
it now looks like we wont see this game till holidays of 2012

dcdennis

dcdennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
ok so this thread singlehandedly just won me over. awesome report. even if the info is old and likely no longer relevant, i applaud the effort. was really fun to look at all the images. well done.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts
Thanks, unfortunately it is way out of date, especially in light of them supposedly redesigning the game. I'd guess that some elements will carry over but if they change it to PVP who knows what will change.

Keggy

Keggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
They're working on releasing something similar to the new Hobbit saga pack for LOTR, except you get Jar Jar following the first player.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

if they change it to PVP

That is a big massive HUGE if.... there is no evidence that it will move to pvp .. nothing but smack talk a FFG forum, and with Netrunner coming out as a duel pvp scifi theme game. I personally think its safe to assume that this is still going to be pve

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts
Well there is some evidence
The mockup box art which was originally released as this

original.jpg

as of ToyFair this year after the delay was changed to this

toyfair.JPG

Now that doesn't mean that it is PVP now but I'd say it is a strong indication that it is.

But besides getting my copy of Netrunner and Smash Up this is the first thing I'm going to try to see if there is any more info about at Gencon so I'll make sure to post any updates ASAP.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts

with Netrunner coming out

One other thing to note, and this is just idle speculation. The Decipher CCG still gets a massive amount of love from people. With Netrunner as a precedent I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Decipher was willing to license the mechanics of the original Star Wars CCG.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
very possible... as long as the "Kissed First" cards are re-printed I will be happy! Luke = 1, Han = 1, Chiew = 0;

But yes I have seen this image of the box.. but at the same time the text on the front page of the game still hasn't changed... so what do you believe? I just think that speculation is a waste of time.. though I personally hope for PvE and think this is more likely.. but long drawn out conversations on it are just silly... there is no real evidence on either side, both has "hint" but both sides see what the want to see.

Either way we will find out.. but if it is PvP I will not be playing it I am pretty sure :( as I already collect 1 PvP LCG that I have literally has nvr once even used, as I have no one to play with.. but a co-op game.. hits the table all the time and i can play solo if I want.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,548 posts
Well I'm firmly on the PVP side of things as I'm not a big fan of solo games, and co-op can be fun but I already have LotR for that. However what I'm hoping for is an all of the above approach.

I've said this on BGG before but The World of Warcraft TCG was originally designed as a 1v1 PVP TCG but it has since been expanded to have very fun multiplayer vs 1 boss player and solo/coop player vs encounter deck. If the WoW TCG can do it when the game was originally designed as PVP then I think it can be done even better when you design the game with this in mind. Other than relaunching the Star Wars CCG I can't think of another reason why they would have to take the game back to the drawing board for a full year. I think this would be the best of all situations and really give the Star Wars LCG a unique feel compared to the other LCGs.

In my dream world they would release a Star Wars Core set that was 2 player pvp. Simultaneously they would release a print on demand scenario for solo/co-op PVE. Each months chapter pack would only have player cards in it and periodically they would release new scenarios as POD expansions and/or free download print and play.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

The World of Warcraft TCG was originally designed as a 1v1 PVP TCG but it has since been expanded to have very fun multiplayer vs 1 boss player and solo/coop player vs encounter deck. (snip) In my dream world they would release a Star Wars Core set that was 2 player pvp. Simultaneously they would release a print on demand scenario for solo/co-op PVE. (snip)

Yeah cool.. I have not played the WoW game but I have heard it has a very fun "raid" encounter variant for co-op... and I think if Star Wars manages to have both PvP and PvE then of course it will be just win/win.

The problem here could be the LCG format.. though I guess it might change with the move form small 6x cycle packs to one larger expansions... BUT.. if the game is going to be PvP and PvE, as you say, you need a PvE deck to play against, so we have the factions for player cards, and the PvE cards... as we have seen in LoTR this means only 1 or 2 player cards per faction per pack.. witch will be frustrating for the PvE players who buy a pack that is 1/2 unused.

PoD I do not think will be an answer as there are quality issues with the PoD versions and if you advertise the game as PvE enabled then people (such as I) will expect PvE, so the only real thing to do would be to have released like LoTR.. a pack (or expansion) that has player cards and PvE cards. If you split them you will be annoying the competitive PvP players as they will have to buy a PvE pack to get "that 1 awesome player card" that is placed in there for just that reason, and the PvP players will not be happy about buying a PvP only pack that is nothing but player cards. The reason for that is that while, Yes a player card pack may very well be attractive to say a LoTR player, but what makes the scenarios work is in addition to the game play itself is how they construct the player cards to compliment the quest and visa versa, making a great contained game scenario that feels constructed.. not just .. here is a random deck.. play against it.

I am not sure that they can make both sides of the fence happy, and as Netrunner is a PvP scifi game.. I think that there is an FFG product that could be appealing to PvP players who like science fiction. Though Star Wars is a league of its own.. well it used to be. One of the great selling points of this game for me is that it is Original Trillogy ONLY. If it was the entire universe I defiantly would not be interested.. I just pretend everything else dose not exist!!

So yeah I see where you are coming from.. but in truth I am in the exact opposite camp. I want and hope it will be a themed co-op / solo game with strong relationships of cards and scenario decks.. and IF they can get pvp to work.. I am cool with that.. though I really do not care if they don't