Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rumors of New LCG based on VTES

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
Well there seems to be a big rumor growing steam that FFG is making a new LCG based on the Vampire the Eternal Struggle license. I have quoted the relevant "info" below.

http://boardgamegeek...651779#11651779
http://www.vekn.net/...iving-card-game

Anonymous Thu Mar 07 22:40:52 2013 No.23558827
Now that we know there is going to be a World of Darkness Living Card Game from FFG lets speculate about what they are doing with it.
What we know:
The game heavily influenced by V:TES.
Core set will focus on Vampire, Hunter, Mage, and Werewolf.
Politics will make a return but players will gain titles in place of characters having them.
Combat is being fully rewritten.
The Core set will be designed for 2-4 players with a single box, rules are written for unlimited players.
V:TES's Predator/Prey system for multiplayer will make a return.

Rumors:
Each faction is going to have 4 "disciplines" for a total of 16 in the Core set.
The Blood system from V:TES is returning and be reflavored as fighting over the power in a city. Bleeding will become Draining, Hunting will be Gathering, etc.

Anonymous Thu Mar 07 22:44:53 2013 No.23558865
Reports from last nights playtest a FFG Event Center:
Each player gets a faction card that has an extra power related to your group. Vampires get +1 Drain (Bleed) on their first Drain action on their turn, Mages get to discard an extra card before drawing. Hunters and Werewolves did not get tested.

Votes for political actions are gained from your faction card and characters that grant votes, titles are power cards you put into play that give a set number of votes and an extra effect you can use in a referendum.

Actions still work on stealth and intercept but each time you target a player with an action in a turn they get +1 intercept for the rest of the turn.

Vampires seem to be Drain focused using stealth and bonus drain.

Mages used a bunch of combo actions that lead to killing resources and locations that slowly build them power.

The game seemed to be over all in early beta so we might not see anything official for awhile but I will be keeping an eye out for more playtest reports as it sounds like official FFG stores are going to be getting playtest events soon.

Anonymous Thu Mar 07 02:32:47 2013 No.23542840
Ok I just talked to a guy in my Dark Heresy group who works at FFG (We play at the FFG Event Center) and he said they are planning another one of those surprise playtests that guy talked about last night today.

If you are in the twin cities area then head down there today (they open at 4 PM). It is at 1975 Oakcrest Ave #10 Roseville, MN 55113
http://www.fantasyfl...npm.asp?eidm=13

I will be there tonight and will try to get in on the playtest so I can take some pictures or something for proof.

Anonymous Thu Mar 07 12:56:25 2013 No.23552654
Ok I just got home from the FFG Event Center. There was a playtest tonight but I got my tablet and phone taken away from me while testing.

From what we played I am 100% it was the WoD LCG, it played liked a game of V:TES for the most part. They did not have combat for us to try, mostly we just bleed each other to death and did a little politics.

The game looks good so far, I can't wait to see where they fully take it.

Grimwalker

Grimwalker

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Oh my god, what the fu---ahhhh who am I kidding.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
  • Kennon, Hastur360, Tragic and 1 other like this

Kennon

Kennon

Podcast Editor

• Small Council
  • 1487 posts
Whoah.... can they just bring back all the great dead games as LCGs?

I'm going to have to find a new job to afford this...
  • WWDrakey and LucasBarton like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2833 posts
Looks cool, if it's real. I just learned to play VTES recently and it's got a lot of potential for a refresh.

Grimwalker

Grimwalker

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
I know it retains a nostalgic fanbase and it was reportedly a very good game, so it's got that going for it.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3592 posts
I'm always up for rebirthed CCGs, never had the pleasure to get into VTES. Still all this LCG revival makes me wish someone would turn their eyes toward Doomtown...
  • Hastur360 and Blake333 like this

Kennon

Kennon

Podcast Editor

• Small Council
  • 1487 posts
My life would be over if they brought Doomtown back.
  • db0 and Blake333 like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
I would love Doomtown back, the mechanics of its combat are so unique and would make it wildly popular. Plus a very unique setting for a card game.

Jensen22

Jensen22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
How about a Shadowrun LCG?
  • 4wallz likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
Unlikely since Shadowrun is getting its own card game this year by its own company.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2020 posts
Now this has me very excited. Vtes was probably my favourite card game of all time.

One on one the game often felt a little unforgiving. Whilst the cards themselves were very balanced certain clans had such an overwhelming edge over others. However, the true strength of the game was its multiplayer. 3 or more players could sit happily backstabbing one another for hours.

It was a very stable game for many years although towards the end the game began to fail. The introduction of Hunters had such a negative effect on the game it crashed and burned.

I have faith that FFG could do a great job of bringing this game back to life.

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Man, that is super exciting, I played a decent amount of V:TES. Easily among the top 3 CCGs I'd like to see come back (this, Doomtown, Battletech).

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2020 posts
I never played Doomtown or Battletech. I dont think they had much love in the UK. I loved the setting for Doomtown though. (who doesnt love undead cowboys?)

The possibilities of a new VTES game was the subject of discussion for a good while amongst my friends and would likely drag some of them back into gaming. That in itself is awesome.

I just hope they dont mess it up. I am a little concerned about the lack of disciplines, which in effect would detract from the themes behind the clans. But then depending on the 'setting' the clans we know and love may or may not exist anymore. The thought of losing Ventrue makes me sad.

However, who needs a vampire when you can play magi....
  • Dracu1a likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2833 posts
I wish I'd kept the Doomtown starter I once had. At the time I bought it I really had no experience in these sort of games and I had trouble trying to learn to play alone from the rulebook so eventually I traded it.

LucasBarton

LucasBarton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
This makes sense that FFG would do this. Netrunner's a big success, so why not try bringing back another classic CCG, from the same designer?

However, right now this rumor has zero credibility, because there is zero evidence to back it up. Consider the source: 4Chan. It is the easiest place on the web to get a rumor or hoax going, because you are 100% anonymous when you post. It is also ludicrously easy to make it look like there are other users backing you up. Just reply to your own post, and pretend to be a different user. "Yeah, man, I was at that playtest too. It kicked ass!"

Additionally, when Lukas (the head designer for Netrunner and, formerly, Invasion) was interviewed, he was completely tight-lipped about any more LCGs being released, except to say that it was a possibility. Right now, there is no more evidence that there will be another LCG than there was 2 months ago.

Note, however, that one of the 4Chan threads says

Wasn't there a podcast where one of the devs said something about the new game?

Ya that is where the "official" word came from.

So, if somebody could find that podcast, we'd have the evidence. However, I am suspicious that this podcast doesn't even exist, because I think I would've heard about it by now. I don't think that FFG could drop a bomb like that without a huge buzz from the gaming community. I only know about one recent podcast where an LCG developer was interviewed: it was a Warhammer: Invasion podcast, and it was Lukas Litzsinger. As I said, they asked him about future LCGs, and he could neither confirm no deny it.

So, while it would be cool, I'm not going to get excited until I see something more rock-solid.

Kennon

Kennon

Podcast Editor

• Small Council
  • 1487 posts
I don't know that there was anything said about a new LCG, but I interviewed several FFG designer/developers for the 100th episode of 2 Champs and a Chump, and Damon Stone has been on the show a couple times before that. I know the Team Covennant guys did a video interview with Damon as well. Nate French is making an appearance on Smuggler's Den, and I believe the Cardboard of the Rings guys have said something about getting Caleb Grace on their show.

db0

db0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
GLad to see there's so many other players like me who'd like Doomtown back. Unfortunately it's unlikely to happen from FFG since AEG has a death grip on the licence and they don't seem to be eager to let go.

For the record, there already exists a OCTGN plugin for Doomtown, for everyone looking to get their occasional fix ;)

In fact, I played an introductory game just yesterday

(I need to update the automations, I know.)
  • Darksbane and Kennon like this

ShadowcatX2000

ShadowcatX2000

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1394 posts
Open your eyes and see with a mystic sight, a war wages, a reckoning is at hand. On one hand stand the others, who would twist the world with their mad designs. On the other, pride and power's lure await an inner fall. Is our path too narrow? You decide. Come forth, open your eyes, and awaken. - Mage the Awakening.

/sigh

I used to be the biggest WW fan boy. I'm interested in seeing how this will turn out, though I'm afraid my local meta is kind of full up on games and I don't think I could find time for another one even if they do support it.

Edit: Missed a few words, but not bad for something I haven't seen in years.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2020 posts
I was the same @Shadowcat. A huge WW fan for many years. I ran a Vampire game for the best part of 10 years and put some real effort into it. But, I have my doubts about this. Shame really.
  • longbombed likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
Well the rumours were sort of true. Not an LCG though and not true WoD.

http://www.fantasyfl...te.asp?eidm=242