Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Agency top 10 cards

- - - - - Agency

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Agency focuses on combat struggles and wounding effects; they have a high concentration of heroic and willpower; and they have abilities that activate when it is Day.

1. Government Exorcist (TSotS) - very efficient character which can target your opponent's strongest terror character to not participate, forcing them to reserve more for defense.

2. Shadow Team (SoM) - removing a combat from every single opponent's character is huge and makes them a lot easier to kill. It's still vulnerable to terror, but a Holy Rosary or other out-of-faction answers can help protect him.

3. Small Price to Pay (Core) - early on, this can be crucial to slow down your opponent, and since it can either wound or drive insane, you can choose which option is best against any given deck.

4. Marshall Greene (THBtS) - the additional willpower can be beneficial to nullify the terror struggle at one story, since willpower is harder to remove. He's also pretty efficient and hard to get rid of.

5. Paul LeMond (Core) - classic super-weenie but very flexible early and late game.

6. San Marco Basilica (TiV) - Free ready for one character and cheap ready for multiple characters, and it's immune to most popular support control.

7. Shotgun Blast (Core) - Similar to Cthulhu's Deep One Assault (Core), this only targets characters, but it isn't loyal! A very good early game tempo control card.

8. The Iron Cross (TiV) - I didn't think much of this until I realized that it's a Disrupt, now it's one of Agency's best attachments since an opponent has to use twice as many effects to get rid of the character.

9. The Company (SoK) - very efficient even outside of a government deck, but in a government deck giving all your government characters toughness is amazing

10. Undercover Security (Core) - cheap and efficient with willpower, combat, and investigation.

Honarable Mentions:

• Behind Bars (SotD) - Great for a rush deck to get early unopposed, or to fend of that impossible AO should he appear.Torch the Joint (SoM) - One of the only cards in the game that destroys a resource.
  • Eliot Ness' Handcuffs (TBJ) - Keywords are critical sometimes. Fast, willpower, invulnerability, toughness, all can make a difference, especially when you have nice wounding effects to make use of.
  • James Logan (WitD) - a cord for combo-lovers, he's expensive, but when you can attach two cards to him for free, he becomes much more efficient.
  • Daemonolatreia (LR) - probably one of the few attachment support cards I would consider running in Agency, just because it eliminates mid-story surprises.
  • Repo Man (TAD) - taking over an opponent's location can be huge, and often combat struggles can be wasted if your opponent doesn't commit. This is one of the only ways to take control of a location in the game.
  • Shotgun (Core) - Suddenly your opponent must account for potentially 2 wounds (one from this and one from combat), and he can't commit a character that he wants to lose.
  • Intervention (TSC) - this surprise character can mean wounding and an additional success token; this has an advantage over Master of the Myths and Black Dog since it can be used on offense as well.
  • Military Bike (TPtY) - While it is an attachment, it is very satisfying to have one of your characters do double duty, especially if they have a great "when it commits" ability like Priest of Two Faiths (TSC) or Obscure Linguist (AoA).
  • Beneath the Burning Sun (SoA) - A staple card for a Day deck. (I like The Setting Sun (TH) more though.)
  • Catastrophic Explosion (TGS) - If you have enough high-skill characters in play, this can be a great partial reset to get the board under control.
Which cards do you think should have made my list?
  • Yipe and Jan like this

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
There are good agency cards? :P
  • Danigral likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I was of the understanding that Agency was big on attachments?

Hired Muscle have always seemed like a good deal to me. Catastrophic Explosion also not bad.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

There are good agency cards? :P

Absolutely! They have some very good characters and wounding effects, and as Jan said, are good with attachments (unfortunately attachments inherently kind of suck since they're vulnerable to both character and support removal). They have some good recursion for attachments, which translates to card advantage.

Catastrophic Explosion was on my short list, but I decided not to put it on since it can hit your own cheap characters, and Agency excels at a weenie rush strategy.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
I'd definitely include Torch the Joint since it's (almost) the only card in the game that allows destroying an opponent's resources.

I think, Beneath the Burning Sun is a staple card for Agency and has a similar effect as Shadow Team.
I also like Night-Shift security but it's hard to use since it requires Night cards.

Shotgun Blast is another staple card that derserves mention because it's from the Core Set.

I haven't used the Company yet, but then again I rarely play Agency...
  • Danigral and Booored like this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
What are the good attachments for Agency?

I have always liked Shotgun. Patrol Wagon is nice when you need a guy to soak the wound, round after round - but when are you really planning to loose combat playing Agency?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I'd definitely include Torch the Joint since it's (almost) the only card in the game that allows destroying an opponent's resources.

I think, Beneath the Burning Sun is a staple card for Agency and has a similar effect as Shadow Team.
I also like Night-Shift security but it's hard to use since it requires Night cards.

Shotgun Blast is another staple card that derserves mention because it's from the Core Set.

I haven't used the Company yet, but then again I rarely play Agency...

Torch the Joint (SoM) can destroy resources, but I've never found a terribly compelling reason to do so when the opponent can get right back up to where they were. Early game it might be disruptive, and you might mess up their plans on one turn, but you'll have to deal with any cards they might have played next turn anyway. It is good as location destruction as well, though.

For Agency, I usually prefer The Rays of Dawn (TH) over Beneath the Burning Sun (SoA) since most Agency characters have a lot of combat already, and removing terror helps protect from insanity.

Shotgun Blast (Core) was one of the best targeted wounding effects in the game for a long time, but since then much better ones have come out. You're right though, it's still good for Agency.

What are the good attachments for Agency?

I have always liked Shotgun. Patrol Wagon is nice when you need a guy to soak the wound, round after round - but when are you really planning to loose combat playing Agency?

Other than Daemonolatreia (LR), I also like Holy Rosary (TTB), Lightning Gun (SoA), Shotgun (Core), Machete (MoE), and Prize Pistol (IMoD) (while it's neutral, it's pretty much only playable out of Agency). Hand Restraints (THBtS) and Eliot Ness' Handcuffs (TBJ) aren't bad either.

*Edit - I should note that I think Agency is good with attachments (recursion, tutor, etc.), and don't necessarily have good attachments.

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Completely agree on these cards. Also not having attachments in a agency list seams a little odd.. though there is a argument that attachments only work on something.. so as a card evaluated on its own they are always weaker... still tell that to Khopesh!

Also I think I would put in HandCuffs. Like.. this faction is all about wounds.. so ancient ones are a real problem.. most agency decks need cards like this I would think. Also that bike is really a must include for any rush agency deck.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Torch the Joint (SoM) can destroy resources, but I've never found a terribly compelling reason to do so when the opponent can get right back up to where they were.

Well, it can be devastating against decks that use two or more factions, particularly if you include Nyarlathotep in your deck. Not only do you gain a resource advantage, you can also prevent your opponent from playing cards of a particular faction. Reducing an opponent's domain to zero is also something that can be crippling: Often your opponent decides to continue boosting his biggest domain instead of restoring the one-resource domain in order to play his more expensive characters. If he does so, you've gained an action advantage: Your opponent now effectively only has two actions every turn. And if he doesn't boost his big domain, you get to play your more expensive characters earlier than him - again, the advantage is yours.

It's a very specific deck build and not very reliable, but I've played against a Yog/Agency deck that used 'Torch the Joint' recurrently from the discard just about every turn. Combine it with effects that drain domains, and it doesn't take you long to be unable to do anything at all!

That you can also use it to destroy locations is just the icing on the cake.

Also I think I would put in HandCuffs. [...] Also that bike is really a must include for any rush agency deck.

Ah, how could I forget about Military Bike? Definitely an old favorite! I agree about the handcuffs, as well; it's a very good attachment for the Agency faction.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Well, it can be devastating against decks that use two or more factions, particularly if you include Nyarlathotep in your deck. Not only do you gain a resource advantage, you can also prevent your opponent from playing cards of a particular faction. Reducing an opponent's domain to zero is also something that can be crippling:

This is a good idea. I think I've got to go build this deck now...or maybe you could post it in the deck forum?

Also I think I would put in HandCuffs. Like.. this faction is all about wounds.. so ancient ones are a real problem.. most agency decks need cards like this I would think. Also that bike is really a must include for any rush agency deck.

So if I put the handcuffs on the list, what would come off? Small Price? Paul Lemond?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I don't play Agency a lot either, but: Shotgun, Shotgun Blast, Prize Pistol, Torch the Joint, Beneath the Burning Sun are all good ones. An early Torch the Joint can be a major setback, if it come out late you can either use it as a resource, take out a Location, or I like to target any open domains on my turn hoping to mess up any Events they were going to play.

I'm not all that impressed with Repo Man and would probably drop him from the top 10 - too situational.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
It sounds like Elliot Ness' Handcuffs, Torch the Joint, and Shotgun are getting a lot of love for top 10. I've heard calls to remove Repo Man, but what else?

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
simple solution.... add a honorable mention section to the post :) Some cards are not top 10.. but still worth knowing about. The big problem with a older lcg liek this or aGoT is that unlike many ccgs there is no card cycling. cards from 2008 are still as valid as cards printed today. While this is great for collectors.. it is super hard for new players to get into deck building. By the time they read though a single faction they will fall asleep. The act of going though and finding combos requires card knowledge and there is just so much text to read before you can start making connections.

Lists like this are vital to keeping new players active, as are older players taking the time to post decks. Still the point shouldn't be top 10.. it should be .. lets list a a few awesome cards. So leave teh top ten.. but list all the other ones mentioned as well :)
  • Danigral and Jhaelen like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

simple solution.... add a honorable mention section to the post :) Some cards are not top 10.. but still worth knowing about. The big problem with a older lcg liek this or aGoT is that unlike many ccgs there is no card cycling. cards from 2008 are still as valid as cards printed today. While this is great for collectors.. it is super hard for new players to get into deck building. By the time they read though a single faction they will fall asleep. The act of going though and finding combos requires card knowledge and there is just so much text to read before you can start making connections.

Lists like this are vital to keeping new players active, as are older players taking the time to post decks. Still the point shouldn't be top 10.. it should be .. lets list a a few awesome cards. So leave teh top ten.. but list all the other ones mentioned as well :)

Good suggestion, and easy enough to expand on since many lists already have it. :) I'll work on updating each list with honorable mentions. It would be great to do a card-by-card review of each cycle, but time consuming. If someone would help, we could try to make that happen for new players.

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
What about Franklin Automobile (TKatG) from the new key&gate expansion?
Seems to be a nice card with versatile use...

It lets you ready a character (agency has lack of arcane IMO - not enough to win this struggle in most cases...).
And in combination withNathaniel Elton (ItDoN) for example it seems to be a good deal. :) You can use him twice a phase (if you pay again 3times! or up to 4 ;)) or commit him and use him as defense in opponents turn because he doesn't exhaust to commit to stories...
If necessary for any effect you can ready an opponents character as well.

What do you guys think about this card? Worth to be mentioned?

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Not really IMO. It doesn't do that much, and has a potential of being a dead card. In a deck that desperately needs a way to ready characters or for some combo it might be nice, but in general i'm not convinced. Especially as 1 resource domains can be used for black dogs, MoM or other nice effects.

Wickywacky

Wickywacky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I'd give
Professor Hermann Mulder (Core) at least an honourable mention, he is ultra-efficient in cost to skill and icons ; yes there is a drawback (mitigated slightly by the fact that you are playing with the wounding faction) but for a one point first turn drop he is rock solid and he is core.

I'm in doubt between honourable mention and top 10 for
Special Agent Clarkston (AoA), cost reduction always huge. For the Agency the best thematic bind is government, the best characters of them already in the list. If you draw S.A.C in your opening hand, on the second turn you drop him, there is 10 government two cost characters that you could play, this helps to put your opponent on a clock. Having him greatly speeds up things and allows you to cast cards you would normally need for resource build up giving you board advantage. Not to mention he is very cost efficient in his own right.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Franklin Automobile is useful, and you can leverage it by picking characters that exhaust to do something useful, but I think it's not good enough to be considered a top 10 card.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Moulder - he is nice turn 1, but turn 2-3 he often goes insane, and later he becomes dead card... not the biggest fan of.

Clarkson is really nice, only this loyal on cost 3 card hurts a lot.

From Yogs box
Norman Blackwood, Sr. (TKatG)
is really nice, you'll regret trying to wound him and he has relatively good icons, but could use some investigators to use full potential. And i'm not convinced he is good enough for top 10.
The list looks fine to me.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
SHADOW WAR !! and Flush Them Out. awesome in combination, or each on their own. Flush Them Out, although expensive, is also a nice way to cause a couple of Characters the opponent was banking on refreshing to suddenly not do so, and is a nice alternative to slow the opponent down when you haven't been drawing well and have a 3 domain spare. Shadow War can be a real massacre and sometimes just an auto win for the Agency, who have trouble with sourcing arcane anyway. Who wants to lose 3 Characters defending it ?? combining this with Repo Man is devastating to opponents who are heavy in supports as well. finally, wounding all monster, cultists and servitors if you win it !! YIPPEE !! the most important thing though is that this is one of the few conspiracies which cannot backfire on you if you lose it, unlike the dread associated with something like Night Job. although sure they're not top 10 BUT :

the biggest on the list i don't remember seeing is Working a Hunch. love my overpay 1 costs which give additional benefits. this HAS to be in the top 10 as far as i'm concerned and makes it into all my Agency decks. for 1 cost its really only 2nd to Steal the Soul for in story trickery (off the top of my head), and for 2 cost it rivals Intervention for effectiveness (minus the skill and willpower but plus the arcane and playable in story both turns). great early game. brilliant late game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agency