Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cthulhu top 10 cards

- - - - - cthulhu

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

UPDATED October 26, 2014

Cthulhu is one of the best mono houses, being able to run good builds with both deep one and serpent themes. It specializes in sacrifice effects, usually on a 1 for 1 basis, and story manipulation; is also has a lot of destruction effects, and multiple ways to lower the cost of AOs or put into play for free.

1. Dreamlands Fanatic (ItDoN) - This card could (and quite possibly should) go in every deck.
  2. Deep One Assault (Core) - While loyal is a bit of a drawback, many supports are less than 2 cost, and the fact it can his characters is also good.
  3. Flooded Vault (TiV) - One of the few unrestricted tutor effects, it can easily pull out a toolbox location like Y'ha-nthlei Statue (AoA) or an all-around good card like Khopesh.
  4. Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS) - When built correctly, a deck with this is hard to get past. It absolutely wrecks challenge math and any decks relying on lynchpin characters.
  5. Ravager from the Deep (Core) - A powerhouse defender that your opponent really must have an answer to outside of the story phase, like wounding or destruction, unless they have a lot of toughness and expendable characters. This is probably the most "broken" card in the core set.
  6. Cthylla (SoK) - While it can be difficult to get her into play, once she is in play, she can define the game. When recycling characters she can force your opponent to sacrifice more characters than they can play a turn.
  7. Temple of R'lyeh (NN) - This card defines a deck type of sacrificing. At 2 cost, it's more accessible than Cthylla, but also more restrictive, since it can mostly be played in mono-green.
  8. From the Depths (The Sleeper Below) - This is the new Things in the Ground, capable of fielding AOs and creating massive swings in board position.
  9. Dwellers Below (The Sleeper Below) 
  10. Dragged into the Deep (WoP) 

Honorable Mentions:

Cthulhu (The Sleeper Below) - The only 10 skill character, that many times you can play for nothing. That's a good deal. He also comes with a pseudo-reset if you can manage the resources.

The Terror of the Tides (TTotT) - A colorless surprise with good icons and a lot of toughness.

Carl Stanford (SoA) - Long the only invulnerable character for under 4 cost, he may see a bit of resurgence due to the influx of cultists.

Deep One Rising (SoA) - Just an efficient 2 for 1 with decent icons.

Gustaf Johansen (The Sleeper Below) - Card draw that probably defines cultist decks

ORIGINAL POST:

Cthulhu is one of the best mono houses, being able to run good builds with both deep one and serpent themes. It specializes in sacrifice effects, usually on a 1 for 1 basis, and story manipulation; is also has a lot of destruction effects, and multiple ways to lower the cost of AOs or put into play for free.

1. Deep One Assault (Core) - Although it's loyal, this card is very flexible as it can take out any support or character at any time.

2. Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS) - this defined the meta for a while; point-and-click wounding is very hard to argue against, especially when it can happen mid-story after characters commit.

3. Ravager from the Deep (Core) - A powerhouse defender that your opponent really must have an answer to outside of the story phase, like wounding or destruction, unless they have a lot of toughness and expendable characters. This is probably the most "broken" card in the core set.

4. Dreamlands Fanatic (ItDoN) - usually comes out for free (fyi, free is great) (see the top 10 neutral/colorless list)

5. Flooded Vault (TiV) - One of the few unrestricted tutor effects, it can easily pull out a toolbox location like Y'ha-nthlei Statue (AoA) or an all-around good card like Khopesh.

6. The Terror of the Tides (TTotT) - another surprise character that is pretty efficient even at the 3-cost price.

7. Carl Stanford (SoA) - He was the cheapest non-AO invulnerable character for a long time, and still a great deal.

8. Uroborus (WaB) - Along with other cheap serpents he can be very, very annoying, and is the part of a couple control combo loops (such as #10 Temple of R'lyeh and ST's Ritual of Summoning (TOotST).)

9. Sacrificial Offerings (Core) - One of the best tempo control cards early game.

10. Temple of R'lyeh (NN) - If you can get more characters out than your opponent, you are almost always guaranteed better board position.

Honorable Mentions:

• Naaginn (TbtA) - almost every deck runs some kind of support and some kind of support destruction, so this character is essentially free.
  • Feathered Serpent (MoE) - very efficient when I can trade one icon for two for no cost; he's a little expensive, but he is so flexible he can usually take on a story all by himself.
  • Called by Azathoth (TSotS) - a great effect which can blank AOs as well.
  • Beings of Ib (TH) - A free character perfect for sacrifice effects; getting an AO out with these guys is also fantastic, like having 2 or 3 for the price of one.
  • Cthylla (SoK) - one of the most efficient AOs in the game, and a sacrifice effect that is arguably better than the big guy Cthulhu himself.
  • Aziz Chatuluka (TSS) - One of the cheapest and easiest ways to get any AO into play, albeit for one turn; the AO comes back although it chokes your draw a little.
  • Deep One Rising (SoA) - expensive, but solid, and an easy way to destroy pretty much any character on your opponent's board.
  • Ancient Plans (TbtA) - It can be a two-edged sword, but it's more dangerous for investigators to oppose you here, and after 3 rounds (give or take) you are awarded with an AO.
  • Cthulhu (TWB) - The man, The legend. Fhtagn.
  • Communal Shower (TTftS) - I have not used this card, but others swear that it's the bees knees in a mono-Cthulhu deck.
  • Muddy Waters (TAD) - This packs a serious punch in a sacrifice deck. While you may not get your opponent to sac the strongest character, you can still kneel it.
  • Silver Twilight Temptress (THBtS) - I affectionately call her "Nerd's-bane." Or is it "Nerd-bait"? Or is it jail-bait? I mean, look at that baby face,,,
  • The Carpathian (ER) - Sacrifice is everywhere, and when you can potentially get a card out of it, that seems pretty good to me.
  • Feeding Frenzy (TC) - Can be quite a surprise at a story, when your opponent thinks he is about to wipe out your one character, then you kill all his, too. Perfectly devious.

What do you think? Does Cthulhu (TWB) deserve a spot in the top 10? What else would you include?

• Yipe and Jan like this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
I'm not sure if the Beings of Ib deserve a spot in the top ten. They are pretty situational and easy to take out.
Feathered Serpent is (usually) too expensive for my taste.

Regarding Ancient Ones:
Cthylla hasn't been on my radar, yet. (I've probably been too busy admiring Nug ;-))
Cthulhu has the advantage that there are more ways to bring him into play and use him. I also love Bokrug because you cannot blank him (and if you think the Beings of Ib are great, you should include him here, too!).

Ravager from the Deep might derserve a spot in the top ten, if only because he's in the Core Set and therefore well known to most players.

Feeding Frenzy is an often overlooked card that is extremely effective.

Communal Shower is a must-include if you want to play a Cthulhu Mono deck.

HilariousPete

HilariousPete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I completely agree about Communal Showers and Ravager from the Deep with Jhaelen, but not about Feathered Serpent - yes, he is expensive, but his ability is really great. He's one of my favourite Cthulhu cards :)

Other good cards of Cthulhu faction not yet mentioned:
Carl Stanford (SoA) - Terror icon, invulnerable, and arcane icon. Pretty good for a cost of 3.
Urumi (TUP) - Although an attachment, it is an effective tool against Combing the Archives (LR).
Deep One Rising (SoA) - 4 cost character, but the ability to choose and destroy a (non-AO) character is pretty good. He really shines in a Deep One deck of course, but may be useful in other decks, too.
  • Danigral likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
So few Core cards mentioned so far.

Keeper of the Golden Path (Core) - TT and 3 skill. Solid early game character and a Cultist too.

Sacrificial Offerings (Core) - Effective character removal and a good enabler for
Por XV 14:19 (SoK)

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
I can definitely see arguments for taking off Beings of Ib, but he's so good with Cthulhu's sacrifice effects, I just had to. :)

I can't believe I forgot Ravager of the Deep! He's definitely top 10.

Carl Stanford was also short-listed, but I figured I better put some supports and events in so I think I bumped him for Called by Azathoth. He's definitely good though.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
Agreed, Carl Stanford is also top-10 material.

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I think Aziz Chatuluka (TSS) and Feathered Serpent (MoE) should drop off the list soon considering the recent comments.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Good thoughts here too. I like Carl, he was for a long time the cheapest invulnerable character in the game, and the only one that wasn't an AO. I also like that now there are relic masks to trigger his ability instead of cultists.

I also like Deep One Rising, but it's a toss up for me with Feathered Serpent. Ravager is such a power house defender that your opponent really needs some sort of answer for him like out-of-story destruction or wounding, or a ton of toughness, so he is better than both probably.

People really don't like Feathered Serpent?! He is sooooo efficient... I could bump Beings of Ib to keep him on.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Updated with honorable mentions... Sorry, I had to keep my boys the Beings of Ib on the list. :)

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Old Cthulhu definitely not, new one is just so much better.

I'd add some board swiping cards probably, like
Feeding Frenzy (TC)

The Sleeper Awakens! (SoM)
to lesser extent:
In an Unmarked Grave (SotD)
expensive but if played right can change much, especially if your deck has much destruction anyway

and for serpents

Sibilant Cry (WaB)
is certainly an important card to know
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Old Cthulhu definitely not, new one is just so much better.

I'd add some board swiping cards probably, like
Feeding Frenzy (TC)

The Sleeper Awakens! (SoM)
to lesser extent:
In an Unmarked Grave (SotD)
expensive but if played right can change much, especially if your deck has much destruction anyway

and for serpents

Sibilant Cry (WaB)
is certainly an important card to know

I'm not sure we should include cards that are only great in situational or thematic decks, like Sibilant Cry. It's certainly a good card, but only when you have tons of serpents.

I like Feeding Frenzy, and that reset looks good, even though I haven't played it yet. I can see it in a relic-heavy build, maybe with MU using Magnetic Spike (NN).

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
On the other hand, Danigral, do I think we should make a thread where we identify the most common themes and the cards that enforce them.
  • Danigral and HilariousPete like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

On the other hand, Danigral, do I think we should make a thread where we identify the most common themes and the cards that enforce them.

Sure, I was planning on starting a series of articles, but it would take time to get around to writing one for each faction-specific build. Which are you most interested in first?

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I think I'd like to see Shub or Syndicate.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Necro! Time to resurrect these to discuss the top 10 in the new meta. Updated with Flooded Vault, and bumped Cthylla and Beings of Ib in light of the much slower game without a lot of resource ramping.
  • Jhaelen likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
In addition to most of what's listed here, my must-have Cthulhu cards are Sacrificial Offerings (Core) and Uroborus (WaB). There's a lot you can do with both.

Pulled Under (Core) also finds its way into many of my Cthulhu decks.
  • Danigral likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
So coming from agot where control is a serious game strategy what cards are currently making CoC faster game and what strategies would you suggest for slowing the game.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

In addition to most of what's listed here, my must-have Cthulhu cards are Sacrificial Offerings (Core) and Uroborus (WaB). There's a lot you can do with both.

Pulled Under (Core) also finds its way into many of my Cthulhu decks.

I honestly thought I had already put Sacrificial Offerings on the list. It's added now. I also added Uroborus and Naaginn.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
I'd say in no order:
  • Khopesh
  • Deep One Assault
  • Flooded Vault
  • Deep One Rising
  • Ravager of the Deep
  • Dreamlands Fanatic
  • Uroborus
  • Temple of Rlyeh
  • Por XV 19:14
  • Naaginn
  • Terror of the Tides

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
The Necronomicon: Owlswick Translation (TUP) good? it seems like can be very powerful sacrifice a five cost character, clear opponents board.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cthulhu