Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cthulhu top 10 cards

- - - - - cthulhu

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The main problem is that it cuts both ways. Not that it can't be useful, but definitely not top 10.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
oh no wasn't talking top ten, yea I am going away from topic of post just got all my cards now and was a cthulhu card that jumped out at me but could see why it isn't good either so wanted experience players take.

and I totally missed the each player part.... not nearly as good now

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Some people seem to like resets (apparently they're all the rage in Thrones) but personally I'm not usually a fan of them. Any card that starts off with the assumption that I'm losing rubs me the wrong way, and then I have to pay extra for the reset itself?

Anyway, they have their place but I find that you need to be very careful to successfully capitalize on them. So, how would you do this? Luckily, this isn't just a reset card. It's also an anti-rush card and can be better at that. If I'm playing big guys and you're playing little guys, then I can wipe out one (or maybe just a few) of my guys to kill ALL of yours. That's what you want to go for.

So, build your Cthulhu deck around big guys and have this card in the deck as a contingency. Against a lot of decks you may not use it. But if you run into a weenie deck with a ton of cost 1-2 guys swarming around you've got a tool for that.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Some people seem to like resets (apparently they're all the rage in Thrones)

Yep that is why trying to figure out every card that can be a reset (:

Use to thrones and the control part.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
I'm not convinced it is possible to do a good control deck in CoC...

And i think cheap resets would be really nice, because with control you need to balance playing your characters. Now you more or less play as much as you can... possible wipe forces you to care for ard advantage more, and don't put too many cards on board. But current Coc clears are quite expensive for competitive, and making them cheaper could completely degenerate more casual play.

The complete reset is Dimensional Rift (SoA), but it costs a ton.

I was hoping for The Plague Stone (TiV) to fit this role, I haven't played CoC since it showed up :( but i guess it might still be too expensive for competitive play...

Cthulhu necro is not really a board reset, but more like good card for getting rid of lo-cost spam. Especially as:
Dreamlands Fanatic (ItDoN)
The Terror of the Tides (TTotT)
Uroborus (WaB)
Are hi-cost characters you don't pay full cost for.
And cards like
Deep One Rising (SoA)
let you destroy some hi-cost, then sac to get rid of all <4 costs...

Can be brutal, especially if you also run
Temple of R'lyeh (NN)
And can trade your cheap guys if opponent plays expensive, or clear with necro if he plays cheap.

That's how my mono cthulhu deck works anyway. Dont know how strong it is against really polished deck with good pilot.

And necros problem are support control shoulb cards, and more scary timing window when you get your necro wielding character killed before you can use it... And ideally you'd like to use it in opponents story phase, but this makes you even more vulnerable to all the removal.

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I don't think having a reset is necessary to field a control deck, and I think Syndicate can do it quite nicely.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
I think I am going to try running control out of three houses Shub (for resource and adding extra domains) University (card draw and can shut down challenges) and not sure the third to put it all together yet.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Try Syndicate for character control. If you don't want to use them, then consider Silver Twilight or Hastur.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
I'll probably try couple different things (: well can go back on topic sorry for the derail

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

I'm not convinced it is possible to do a good control deck in CoC...

What would it take to convince you? :)
  • MagnusArcanis likes this

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Playing against one.
Maybe I was thinking more about heartstone control style where you wipe the board of weak characters or remove single strong characters relatively easily.
In CoC i don't think it works like this, there are nice control-style effects like uncommiting etc, but most of them are one shots.
But on the other hand game can end quite fast... maybe it would be enough...

I cant think of a deck that would convince me not to play as many characters as I can.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

I cant think of a deck that would convince me not to play as many characters as I can.

I actually prefer having as few characters as necessary on the board. It's simply far easier to get a picture of the whole situation and play accordingly. The more cards there are in play, the easier it is to oversee an ability and make a mistake. Therefore I give preference to characters (and support cards) that can directly remove an opponent's characters. Cthulhu, Yog, and Silver Twilight all work like that. I'm also a fan of taking control of an opponent's characters; alas that strategy has been badly nerfed with Stygian Eye and Infernal Obsession both being on the restricted list.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Mass destruction is definitely better than flood of useless characters, but thats not what i meant. IMO control deck forces opponent not to play some characters or it will be punished.

Hastur has nice take control effects and Apeirophobia can hurt quite a bit. Destruction of characters with Deep one rising etc also hits the mark.

But i'm not convinced there are enough of this kind of effects to have control deck. ... maybe some Kopesh combo, or something. Hastur cards also look nice with 70 steps and The Cavern of Flame. And maybe Negatum to decrease character count. (Negatum and stygian being restricted is a pain though)

And a control deck would probably need mass destruction to punish multi character play, and there is quite little of that. When you clear board with anything sanding on your side you'll probably win as you get 2 for uncontested stories... im not sure strong control wouldnt break CoC too much.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

bump

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Just updated with Sleeper cards! Discuss!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cthulhu