Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Syndicate top 10 cards

- - - - - syndicate

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

UPDATED October 24, 2014

Syndicate's strengths lie in "cooking the books" - manipulating skill, exhausting or incapacitating characters, and tricksy trades that allow you to stand your characters, take control of support cards, or look at an opponent's hand or deck.

1. O'Bannion's Inner Council (DotU) - One of the top characters in the game.
  2. Clover Club Pit Boss (DotU) - This guy's textbox elevated Syndicate to tournament-level viability as a main faction.
  3. Immurement (DotU) - One of the best (only) spot control for characters and supports
  4. Hack Journalist (DD) - This guy can almost single-handedly win games. In combo with Hanyatl's 12:3, it can be quite a surprise.
  5. Lena Di Boerio (DotU) - One of the best weenies in the game, she is flexible, has good early-game control, and combos will with a lot of factions.
  6. Mr. David Pan (CotJE) - The cornerstone of any skill-manipulation deck, although he is vulnerable to insanity effects, he is essentially a 3 cost character with 4 of each icon. With other skill reduction effects like Clover Club Torch Singer (Core) or Tattoo Artist (MoE), he can take on any story single-handedly.
  7. Peter Clover (SoK) - If your deck is cheap enough, he can manipulate all three stories for success, and he can even effect AOs; he's good for control or rush.
  8. St. Claire (The Sleeper Below) - She's a mini-Inner Council with great icons.
  9. On the Lam (DotU) - Free event with almost no limitations, and can be repeatable in some builds.
  10. Hard Case (Core) - Probably the best and most iconic character with an exhaust effect - he's great for rushing stories, since you can usually exhaust the most problematic character. If you use additional domains then he could even exhaust an AO potentially.

Honorable Mentions:

• Gun Runner's Club (SoM) - One of the best draw cards in the game, even better than some of MU's draw options.
  • Naomi O'Bannion (DotU) - She's a decent character that becomes great when combo'ed with Tactics.
  • The Seventh House on the Left (KD) - This can be a brutal location for your opponent to go up against since it can lock down absolutely any character, even AOs.
  • Henry Knoll (DotU) - A rare arcane character for Syndicate, he also gives a sort of hard control effect vs. weenies that can be combined with other skill reduction effects.
  • Johnny V's Dame (AoA) - She can really speed up your criminal deck and get Iner Council, or your many excellent 3-cost characters, into play faster.
  • Clover Club Torch Singer (Core) - Repeatable and great early game to deny easy skill wins. Combos will with other skill effect to control especially with Eldritch Nexus.
  • Forcing the Truth (CotJE) - Exhaust an opponent's character to ready one of yours for surprise defense.
  • Expendable Muscle (TPtY) - A chud character that when he does his job, protects another important character.
  • Bound and Gagged (TSC) - With a few of skill reduction effects, this becomes a great way to deal with any problematic character on the board, since even if skill returns to normal, the attachment stays on.
  • Dutch Courage (Core) - Giving all your characters toughness is amazing, you just have to be careful that you don't depend on it too much, otherwise one well-timed support destruction can wipe your board.

Are there any others that should be included in top 10? Any cards here that shouldn't be? Keep the thread going to debate which cards you want!

ORIGINAL POST:

Syndicate's strengths lie in "cooking the books" - manipulating skill, exhausting or incapacitating characters, and tricksy trades that allow you to stand your characters, take control of support cards, or look at an opponent's hand or deck.

1. Mr. David Pan (CotJE) - The cornerstone of any skill-manipulation deck, although he is vulnerable to insanity effects, he is essentially a 3 cost character with 4 of each icon. With other skill reduction effects like Clover Club Torch Singer (Core) or Tattoo Artist (MoE), he can take on any story single-handedly.

2. Peter Clover (SoK) - If your deck is cheap enough, he can manipulate all three stories for success, and he can even effect AOs; he's good for control or rush.

3. Gun Runner's Club (SoM) - One of the best draw cards in the game, even better than some of MU's draw options.

4. Panic (Core) - A great card for offense or defense, you can commit your characters then play this so your opponent can't defend, or play it before your opponent declares attackers to decrease their options.

5. Forcing the Truth (CotJE) - Exhaust an opponent's character to ready one of yours for surprise defense.

6. Hard Case (Core) - Probably the best and most iconic character with an exhaust effect - he's great for rushing stories, since you can usually exhaust the most problematic character. If you use additional domains then he could even exhaust an AO potentially.

7. Expendable Muscle (TPtY) - A chud character that when he does his job, protects another important character.

8. Triggerman (Core) - Like Agency's Undercover Security (Core), he's just straight-up efficient for 2 cost willpower and good icons. His only downside is that he's loyal, but since he's so cheap, it usually isn't a factor.

9. Bound and Gagged (TSC) - With a few of skill reduction effects, this becomes a great way to deal with any problematic character on the board, since even if skill returns to normal, the attachment stays on.

10. Dutch Courage (Core) - Giving all your characters toughness is amazing, you just have to be careful that you don't depend on it too much, otherwise one well-timed support destruction can wipe your board.

Honorable Mentions:

• Hack Journalist (DD) - This guy can singlehandedly win games. In combo with Hanyatl's 12:3, it can be quite a surprise.
  • Hanyatl's 12:3 (SoK) - This is one of the only ways to put into play expensive investigator faction dudes without "hard-casting".
  • Lookout (LR) - This is a great answer for the horrible Glaaki (AoA), among others. He is great to slow down an opponent in a control deck.
  • Danny O'Bannion's Crony (SoM) - Works great in a dedicated criminal deck for additional icons or defense, or even other exhausting character abilities.
  • Gregory Gry (TH) - If it's day, he is amazing, and since night isn't played that much, usually it can stick. 3 cost for 3 icons, willpower, toughness +2, and an ability that allows him to ready for double-duty is very efficient.
  • The Seventh House on the Left (KD) - This can be a brutal location for your opponent to go up against since it can lock down absolutely any character, even AOs.
  • Tyler Scindere (WitD) - just flat-out efficient, although at 4 cost, he may be too expensive for a lot of syndicate decks.

Are there any others that should be included in top 10? Any cards here that shouldn't be?

• Jan likes this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
Mmh, Gregory Gry and Tyler Scindere? Really? I don't think much of either, to be honest.
And Gun Runner's Club? Hmm. Never used it.

However, Veronica Frost is a very useful character to have.
Likewise, Lookout can help you get rid of your opponent's most powerful characters.

Extortionist and to a lesser degree Hardcase are characters from the Core set that I love to play.
I also like Patsy, but he's probably not top ten material.

Of course if your deck is focused on using Mr. David Pan, you'll also want to include cheap characters with high skill, like Elite Hit Squad.

I'm also partial to Eyes in a Jar. Forcing your opponent to play with an open hand is not to be underestimated.

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I am happy to see Extortionist and Hard Case mentioned. They always find their way into my Syndicate decks, solid low cost characters that have helped me win many times.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
You know, I usually passed up Gregory Gry because he is a 1x in his AP. But since I got a second copy, I've been looking at him harder. Syndicate doesn't have a lot of Day effects, so he's probably not best for top 10.

What do you think, replace him with Hard Case (Core), since Syndicate tends to run copies of Eldritch Nexus (Core) or Overzealous Initiate (Core) to pay for skill reduction effects?

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I say yes. Core cards should not be underestimated. :)

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
You know, since I put Undercover Security (Core) on the Agency list, what do you all think of Triggerman (Core)? He's very efficient for the cost, his only downside being that he's loyal.

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
What can I say, I like Triggerman too. :)

Loyal has never bothered me for 2-cost cards.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

And Gun Runner's Club? Hmm. Never used it.

I stand by this as probably one of the best draw cards in the game, next to Book of Iod (ER) maybe. Your opponent has to draw 2 cards every turn, so that's the most likely opportunity you'll have to draw with it, even if your hand size is on average the same as your opponent's. It's less fragile than Scientific Text (SoA) at the same price point, and surprisingly consistent even if on paper it doesn't seem so.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Another character that I like is Danny O'Bannion's Crony. He can re-ready almost any Syndicate character plus grant them extra icons.

Also, Johnny V's Dame gets into a lot of decks to help accelerate your Criminal characters, which again is nearly all of them.

I've used Gun Runner's Club before, it can be pretty good but depends partly on your opponent's deck & play too. The way to use it is to burn as many cards as you can and use it right after your opponent's draw if you need to. To this end, it can be aided by including more cheap cards and/or Eldritch Nexus to help you clear your hand.

I don't know if I'd put them in the top 10, but I really like some of the cost 1-2 Events Syndicate has for controlling stories - ranging from Intimidate to Kidnapping 101, which I find can often net me a combat struggle kill on top of winning/blocking the skill struggle. Forcing the Truth is a good pick for one of the best of this type though.

Triggerman's a solid guy, and I agree with Jan - Loyal isn't a big deal on cards that cost 2 or less. At cost 3 I start counting it as a significant drawback and likely wouldn't use those cards in a multi-faction deck.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Do others think Extortionist is better than Hard Case?

Danny O'Bannion's Crony...do you tend to use him more though to ready a guy for defense? Or with other triggered effects where the character exhausts for the effect? Do you think he's top 10?

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Extortionist is more expensive but the double investigation icons make him better for rushing stories. I think I still favor hard case.

Johnny V's Dame is a character I always put into my syndicate decks.

Hanyatls 12:3 is almost essential if you want to put the pricier syndicate characters into play.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Another character that I like is Danny O'Bannion's Crony. He can re-ready almost any Syndicate character plus grant them extra icons.

Also, Johnny V's Dame gets into a lot of decks to help accelerate your Criminal characters, which again is nearly all of them.

I've used Gun Runner's Club before, it can be pretty good but depends partly on your opponent's deck & play too. The way to use it is to burn as many cards as you can and use it right after your opponent's draw if you need to. To this end, it can be aided by including more cheap cards and/or Eldritch Nexus to help you clear your hand.

I don't know if I'd put them in the top 10, but I really like some of the cost 1-2 Events Syndicate has for controlling stories - ranging from Intimidate to Kidnapping 101, which I find can often net me a combat struggle kill on top of winning/blocking the skill struggle. Forcing the Truth is a good pick for one of the best of this type though.

Triggerman's a solid guy, and I agree with Jan - Loyal isn't a big deal on cards that cost 2 or less. At cost 3 I start counting it as a significant drawback and likely wouldn't use those cards in a multi-faction deck.

Booored suggested just adding honorable mentions to each list so that we can cover key cards without saying they're actually top ten. There might be cards that are common in certain decks, but not necessarily top 10.

Extortionist is more expensive but the double investigation icons make him better for rushing stories. I think I still favor hard case.

Johnny V's Dame is a character I always put into my syndicate decks.

Hanyatls 12:3 is almost essential if you want to put the pricier syndicate characters into play.

Hanyatl's is a great prophecy, and one of the only cheap ways to get expensive human faction characters into play. If I won worlds, perhaps I'd make a BS,BT version for investigators.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Hack Journalist (DD) - if opponent doesn't have control cards this guy is insane
basically an Event, but so powerful it needs to be a character so opponent can stop it
3 sucesses to 2 sucesses for opponent - no problem, i get story triggering an Action...

i stole 9 sucesses on Negotium once :P

I splash this into Shub for Shocking transformations that are quite shocking indeed :P
  • Danigral, Carthoris and TwoShedsJackson like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Hack Journalist (DD) - if opponent doesn't have control cards this guy is insane
basically an Event, but so powerful it needs to be a character so opponent can stop it
3 sucesses to 2 sucesses for opponent - no problem, i get story triggering an Action...

i stole 9 sucesses on Negotium once :P

I splash this into Shub for Shocking transformations that are quite shocking indeed :P

I think I am going to have to start packing in Y'ha-nthlei Statue (AoA) just for this. Those combos are terrifying.

HilariousPete

HilariousPete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

I also like those two. Especially Danny O'Bannion's Crony (SoM), since 2 of them can give each other infinite C+I icons :-)
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Updated the honorable mentions. Any others?

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
"Lookout LR - This is a great answer for the horrible Glaaki AoA and Y'Golonac Core, among others. He is great to slow down an opponent in a control deck."

Golonac not really, if he is put into play in operation phase he will ready himself in story phase paying 1 :P
(unless its surprise story phase golonac from under the porch or sth)

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

"Lookout LR - This is a great answer for the horrible Glaaki AoA and Y'Golonac Core, among others. He is great to slow down an opponent in a control deck."

Golonac not really, if he is put into play in operation phase he will ready himself in story phase paying 1 :P
(unless its surprise story phase golonac from under the porch or sth)

Good catch. It's too bad also that Lookout's ability is a response so it can't blank Nug before his effect triggers.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Gollonac is stupidly strong, cost 4 AO with such versatile ability... really
But cards like this make meta more recognizable. Every player will hate or love this card eventually :P

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Gollonac is stupidly strong, cost 4 AO with such versatile ability... really
But cards like this make meta more recognizable. Every player will hate or love this card eventually :P

It's a great card. Actually my latest shub/cthulhu deck is the first time I took it out of any shub deck. And somehow it still feels a little wrong... :unsure:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: syndicate