Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Syndicate top 10 cards

- - - - - syndicate

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Both triggerman and the seventh house on the left deserve to be on this list. Triggerman is just a very solid and effecient dude and the seventh house on the left is one of the best locations in the game. Any card that can control stories the way it does definitely deserves a spot. Also, I totally agree on gun runners club. Its sooo good! The card draw it produces is insane.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Ah, Seventh House on the Left. Yes, I love this card too, but I've been leaving it out so often because of the ease of support destruction. If it stays out for a least a couple of turns, it is well worth it. We can at least give it honorable mention.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I like 7th House, but at cost 3 it sometimes feels like it comes in too late or I'm having to face a hard choice between playing it versus a character I want to get into play. Not that it's not worth it, it is, it just puts a bump in your timing. I feel like if there was a 2-cost version that was similar but maybe only worked on cheaper or lower-skill characters I would be tempted to use that one instead.

Lovecraft

Lovecraft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
What about Fortifying Ouzo? It's one of my favourite cards for my 2nd fave faction, first being Miskatonic. ^_^
  • Danigral likes this

Runix

Runix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Honorable mentions: Burglar Tools from the most recent expansion. Syndicate has some good "all your support card are belong to us" cards like Fence (LR) and Thief for Hire (IotF), but Burglar Tools is the best yet, I think. Nothing quite so good as Lucas Tetlow (SoK), but, well, every card can't be as good as the Eternal Curator, sadly . . .

I would also add Bootlegging Operation (TSC) to the list. Bootlegging attached to a Blackmoor Estate (Core), with the rest of the deck packed with nothing but Yithians - and three copies of Interstellar Migration. :D OK, not really a Syndicate deck per so, but even so . . .
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Honorable mentions: Burglar Tools from the most recent expansion. Syndicate has some good "all your support card are belong to us" cards like Fence (LR) and Thief for Hire (IotF), but Burglar Tools is the best yet, I think. Nothing quite so good as Lucas Tetlow (SoK), but, well, every card can't be as good as the Eternal Curator, sadly . . .

I would also add Bootlegging Operation (TSC) to the list. Bootlegging attached to a Blackmoor Estate (Core), with the rest of the deck packed with nothing but Yithians - and three copies of Interstellar Migration. :D OK, not really a Syndicate deck per so, but even so . . .

Runix! Where've you been?! :) It looks like you've already got your new expansion and already started building decks. Bootlegging has to exhaust the attached location, and it's also a 2 for 1 if the location is destroyed. But yeah, I'm sure it may see a come back with the Fated keyword and some yithian stuff.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
No great cards for Syndicate in the last few deluxe boxes, but I suspect we'll have to update this list dramatically when Denizens comes out.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
id have to give an honourable mention to The Gold Pocket Watch (TiV). the ability to ruin a day or night decks plans for the cost of 1 is really quite powerful i would've thought, and especially with Early Start (TiV), which at night is an insane version of Panic (Core), a card that has been the staple of one of my mono syndicate loving opponents and has often caused me headaches. im pretty sure he's mono just for the latter card, so might now start mixing in other factions because Early Start isn't Loyal.

but i suppose these are a bit situational so dont really qualify.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Best to wait for the box on this one, there will likely be several hot new cards pushing their way onto the list then.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Eyes in a Jar (TWB) how many of you play this card? to me this seems CRAZY good. (haven't played with it yet though) but knowing what events can change story battles seems almost restricted good to me.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Haven't used it personally. In a pure Syndicate deck I sort of feel like it would slow me down since the domain that plays it could be putting out another character. Maybe in a mixed-faction deck though? One card I do like is Prism of Many Views, but it not only peeks at drawn cards, it can let you filter them as well.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
ah I always forget that Syndicate is a typical rush deck. I am going to try to find the best slow control Syndicate deck (:

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Eyes in a Jar (TWB) how many of you play this card? to me this seems CRAZY good. (haven't played with it yet though) but knowing what events can change story battles seems almost restricted good to me.

The Syndicate are my favorite faction, and while I like Eyes in a Jar a lot, it never seems to make the cut. I think you would need to craft a deck specifically around knowing your opponent's hand.

A Sight for Sore Eyes (SfW) might be useful, though a small rules query on whether this works as your opponent will already have their hand revealed. There's also Midnight Alley (TTotT). Perhaps other factions have cards that would benefit from seeing your opponent's hand (beyond the obvious)?

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

id have to give an honourable mention to The Gold Pocket Watch (TiV). the ability to ruin a day or night decks plans for the cost of 1 is really quite powerful i would've thought

Well, have you actually tried using it in a deck? It's a terrible card. I wanted to like it, but it's frankly just bad. A friend put it in a deck once but always ended up resourcing it.

Unless someone comes up with a killer combo involving it, it's not worth putting in a deck.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Well, have you actually tried using it in a deck? It's a terrible card. I wanted to like it, but it's frankly just bad. A friend put it in a deck once but always ended up resourcing it.

Unless someone comes up with a killer combo involving it, it's not worth putting in a deck.

hmmm. interesting. yes i have used it and found the 'threat' of night or day when used in conjunction with certain 'if it is...' cards was a very powerful effect, kind of like Carl Stanford (SoA) or Alternative Historian (SoK), where you dont actually have to trigger the ability just to make it useful for you. if you try too hard with it to make day / night awesome then it might come across as a poo card i suppose.

oh well. i suppose not a mention though.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

friend put it in a deck once but always ended up resourcing it.

Doesn't tell much about the card IMO, if he wasnt even using it...

I think knowing exactly cards opponent has can be really nice, but you still need to not lose to them, and playing it early will put you behind... i think it looks like something less explored, worth trying IMO. But noone made it work jet, so its not really a good top list candidate in the slightest. More like "cards that noone uses, but are potentialy really nice" list.

And i wouldnt go for effects like those mentioned. I'd go maybe for Wand of light (this new day neutral) to reset dangerous opponents hands [3+2 might be too expensive though] and most importantly using additional info to play more efficently, the question is, how much can this scouting improve your play.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I think everyone loves the concept of Gold Pocket Watch, but in practice having to pay 1 every turn for it ends up being expensive so it's harder to justify making a conventional Night/Day deck as you would for other factions. You can put it in a deck purely as a counter for your opponent's Night/Day but it's still taking up space and will be a situational card.

I've found it to work best if you include just a couple of Night/Day cards and let it sit out there as something your opponent has to worry about - try to get the intimidation value as much for free as you can but don't actually expect to pay to activate it too often.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
thats exactly right. often you dont have to pay the 1 to make use of the The Gold Pocket Watch (TiV). what i like most about it is that it can make it day / night in any phase, which is rare. your opponent wants to make a big day / night play during their operations phase ? i think not with this little keeper of time. very situational though, but can certainly save your hide. most other day / night cards can sometimes be a little after the damage has been done.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
how common is day/night in competitive decks?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

how common is day/night in competitive decks?

Prior to Terror in Venice, it was extremely rare.

I've been in 4 (going on 5 this weekend) Call of Cthulhu tournaments, including a pair of well-attended Regional Championships (19 and 14 players, respectively). As the T.O. of each tournament, I keep all the deck lists after the events to write up reports, etc... so far I've seen over 50 decks meant for competitive play. In all of those events, I've encountered only 1 deck that included the Day mechanic as a cornerstone element.

Why? I think there are 2 main reasons. First, the Dreamlands cycle has been out of print for some time making it hard for newer players to have access to any Day/Night cards at all. Second, before TiV there weren't that many Day/Night cards to choose from. However, TiV has given Day/Night a big shot in the arm. When we finally see the Dreamlands reprints, I think it will show up even more.

And to get this back on topic:

My top 10 nominations are Intimidate (SoA), Tear Gas (TTftS) and Patsy (Core).

I like Intimidate better than Forcing the Truth because it costs only 1. Sure, it's not as fancy as Forcing the Truth or even Low Blow (Core), but it's cheap and works great with Syndicate rush. When it comes to events, I'm hard pressed to pay more than 1 unless I'm nuking an opponent's character, especially with a deck that needs to be firing off as many characters as possible in the opening rounds.

As for Tear Gas, it plays nicely with Fixer (SoA) for a turn 1 cost-reduction, and is a great way to destroy annoying invulnerable characters like Carl Stanford (SoA) or Fthaggua (TKatG) that can slow you down early on.

Last up, the Patsy. I can't believe this guy isn't even on the honorable mention list. Combine with B. Ramsdale Brown (TKatG), Corrupted Midwife (ER) or Hungry Dark Young (Core) to really annoy your opponent.

For honorable mentions, what about Tattoo Artist (MoE) or Street Tough (TbtA)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: syndicate