Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shub-Niggurath top 10 cards

- - - - - shub

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

UPDATED October 26, 2014.

Shub has tons of monsters, a couple faction-specific beasties (Dark Young and Cthonian), the best "tutor" effects in the game, the best location destruction in the game, the best cost-reduction and resource-ramping effects, and effects that recur characters from the discard. It is an excellent faction.

1. Shocking Transformation (Core) - This searches for any character in your deck that you might want and/or need at the moment and pops it into play, all for sacrificing a character that you probably will get back anyway through some other effect. It's only downside is that it can't get an AO.

2. The Festival (TkatG) - Best card in the game? Definitely pre-restriction, but still a contender even post-restriction.

3. Burrowing Beneath (Core) - Probably the best support destruction in the game.

4. Black Dog (WoP) - While not the best in terms of efficiency, the ability is a very good surprise, and afterward forces your opponent to play differently once he knows you have it in hand. (see the Neutral/Colorless top 10 list).

5. The Three Bells (TUP) - Probably the cheapest and best sacrifice effect in the game, it forces you to sac one of your own, but again, you can probably get it back whereas your opponent might not be able to. It's just a bonus that it can put a character into play after 3 sacs.

6. Hungry Dark Young (Core) - This gives you 2 characters for the price of 1, which is great if you have sacrifice effects or that 2 cost character has an enters-play ability.

7. Y'Golonac (Core) - One of the cheapest and most efficient AOs in the game, he can suck the life out of weenies, attack and defend, all for a 1 cost effect.

8. Grasping Chthonian (IotF) - The only thing better than destroying a support card is getting a decent character at the same time.

9. Book of Iod (ER) - Excellent draw effect, probably better than many of MUs draw options, and it puts a card in your discard (where you might want it incidentally).

10. Savio Corvi (TiV) - While his abilities are both conditional, they are both fantastic.

This list was hard, since Shub has a lot of other good cards. But here are some honorable mentions:

• Twilight Cannibal (TH)- Number 11. One of the most efficient chuds in the game who sports the skill and icons of a 4 cost cards, but costs 2. Since Day isn't very much played right now, his downside isn't that bad.
  • Snow Graves (AtMoM) - (see the Neutral/Colorless top 10 list). Could go in every deck, and shuts down a lot of deck strategies that they are forced to deal with.
  • Nug (SoK) - This beast of an AO, through various combos, can get you through 6 turns of resourcing in one or two turns. He also has a great icon spread.
  • Under the Porch (THBtS) - The same price as Shocking Transformation, but it can fetch an AO. It returns to your hand, but with Shub's resource ramping, you can play it again within a couple turns.
  • Shub-Niggurath (TC) - recur all those dark young that you lost one way or another. Can you say swarm? GG.
  • Feed Her Young (WaB) - A great card especially in a mono build, to get out ahead of your opponent. Bigger domains means bigger dudes.
  • Corrupted Midwife (ER) - She is a great way to get back key characters or get back characters with enters-play abilities like Hungry Dark Young (Core).
  • Ya-te-veo (TUP) - cheap, good icons, and a mini-Shotgun (Core) built in.

• Jan and JChoong212 like this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
That's a pretty good list. Interesting how I can find one card from Seekers of Knowledge for every faction so far.
  • Danigral likes this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
I agree, it's hard to restrict yourself to ten cards for Shub. They have a lot of excellent cards.

Snow Graves should be #1. It's the single most important card in the whole game, particularly since it should belong in _every_ deck, not only Shub decks.

Ancient Guardian is another one of my faves, it's only disadvantage being cost 4. There aren't many ways to ready support cards.

The Mother's Hand can be even more effective than Hungry Dark Young.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I agree, it's hard to restrict yourself to ten cards for Shub. They have a lot of excellent cards.

Snow Graves should be #1. It's the single most important card in the whole game, particularly since it should belong in _every_ deck, not only Shub decks.

Ancient Guardian is another one of my faves, it's only disadvantage being cost 4. There aren't many ways to ready support cards.

The Mother's Hand can be even more effective than Hungry Dark Young.

Yes, I agree. Snow Graves (AtMoM) is definitely one of the top ten cards in the game, but ironically for the same reason you gave I didn't feel right putting it in the Shub list since it's 0-cost with no steadfast, so it's playable in any faction.

The Mother's Hand (SoA) is also good since you can get it out for free most of the time, and free is good (as I commented on the Cthulhu cards. :) But I opted for Hungry Dark Young simply because of the idea of comboing with 2 cost cards like Museum Curator (TWB), Aziz Chatuluka (TSS), and Itinerant Scholar (Core), among others. It's also representative of the Dark Young swarm-type effects.
  • JChoong212 likes this

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Good list, I think I would add Feed Her Young though. It is so useful, every shub deck I build I add it in.
  • Danigral and orso like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Good list, I think I would add Feed Her Young though. It is so useful, every shub deck I build I add it in.

Yes, I like it too, but in recent decks I've found comboing Nug to be much easier and more efficient, so that by the time I draw one of these, I don't really need it. If Shub didn't have so many good cards, it definitely would have made it up there! :)

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Honestly, late game I like it just for the card draw if I have the free domain!

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Honestly, late game I like it just for the card draw if I have the free domain!

What would you take off for it though?

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

What would you take off for it though?

Hmm maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I'm not sure I know what you mean. :lol:

EDIT:
Ah maybe you meant what would I take off the list for it? Let me think and I will post my shub list later today. :)

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Hmm maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I'm not sure I know what you mean. :lol:

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, because that was unclear. ;) I meant, what would you take off the top 10 list to make room for Feed Her Young?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Good list. We might not need both Shocking Transformation and Under the Porch? Just pick one to represent the common idea and we've cleared a spot for something else.

I'm not sure about Snow Graves, as was said it's technically a Shub card but in practical terms it's Neutral. Black Dog is the same to a lesser extent. What do you say to creating a Top 10 Neutral/Colorless list and moving all such cards to there?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Good list. We might not need both Shocking Transformation and Under the Porch? Just pick one to represent the common idea and we've cleared a spot for something else.

I'm not sure. Right now they both seem pretty good. But I could combine them in order to add Twilight Cannibal. :D

I'm not sure about Snow Graves, as was said it's technically a Shub card but in practical terms it's Neutral. Black Dog is the same to a lesser extent. What do you say to creating a Top 10 Neutral/Colorless list and moving all such cards to there?

This is a good idea. Do you want to tackle the neutral list? Or maybe a list of cards that should go in any deck, which would include colorless or colorblind cards?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I'm not sure. Right now they both seem pretty good. But I could combine them in order to add Twilight Cannibal.

My only hesitation with that is that it's so hard to GET Twilight Cannibal. But I guess that's not really part of the question here so it shouldn't be a factor.

This is a good idea. Do you want to tackle the neutral list? Or maybe a list of cards that should go in any deck, which would include colorless or colorblind cards?

Sure, I can do that. I was thinking of kicking off a Silver Twilight list as well since one hasn't been posted yet - unless you're working on it already.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

My only hesitation with that is that it's so hard to GET Twilight Cannibal. But I guess that's not really part of the question here so it shouldn't be a factor.

It should be easier now that Twilight Horror is getting reprinted in the new format...if it ever gets released. :P

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
1) The Festival (TkatG): absolutely ridiculous. So cheap, no activation cost, as soon as it leaves your hand the damage is done.

2) Nug (SoK): so easy to trick him out and he can just blow out the opponent.
Turn 1:

Basil Elton (KD)>Feed Her Young (WaB)/The Festival (TkatG)>Basil Elton (KD)>Under the Porch (THBtS)>Nug (SoK)

It's 3 cards, but you're likely to run 3x of Feed Her Young and/or The Festival, Basil is a 2/3x, and Under the Porch is 2/3x. Feed Her Young also draws another card, so you have one more chance to draw the Porch. It happens more often than it probably should, and it sets you up 4/2/2 going into turn 2... most likely game over. And Nug's back in hand in case you want to cast him on turn 2 for an invulnerable AO and 6/3/3 domains. Shouldn't need to resource the rest of the game unless you're dropping two AO's per turn.

3) Y'Golonac (Core): One of the best Ancient Ones, and one of the cheapest. Almost always worth at least 1x in any Shub deck for late game and your opponent's
Broken Space, Broken Time (CoC).
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
So what should come off the list for The Festival? My vote is Grasping Cthonian...

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

So what should come off the list for The Festival? My vote is Grasping Cthonian...

Oddly enough, I'd probably take off your top two cards! Followed by Hungry Dark Young. Really, it's just a feature of how strong Shub is (which I just discussed in another thread) - I think Shub's 11-20 best cards would still be considerably better than some other factions!

My problem with Shocking Transformation and Under the Porch is the cost. Shocking Transformation costs 3 + a character, and Under the Porch costs 3 + whatever it takes to cast the character again next turn. Even given some of the tremendous combos they open up and some of the 'enters play' effects they enable, it's a huge investment. In the early game, if they don't come off, you're almost guaranteed to lose. Still great cards, but I'd usually like to be doing more on turn 2-3.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Hmmm, I can see that for Under the Porch, with my aversion to expensive supports. I still feel that Shocking Transformation is an excellent representative card for all the great shenanigans you can pull, and it's open to the entire pool of characters since you can tutor out-of-faction. Under the Porch is on the list mostly because of the early-game tricks with Nug, and the mid-/late-game tricks with Shub, so I can see bumping it down to honorable mentions.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Of the two, I probably prefer Under the Porch for its ability to pull and Ancient One (probably Nug) and to cast Grasping Chthonian or Hungry Dark Young twice.

Shocking Transformation is also great, but I think it has to be justified more in a deck and is likely going to take up 2-3 slots (it's probably serving as 6x something critical or a cost reducer for expensive/out of faction characters). Under the Porch can definitely help as a 1x, unless you absolutely need to rush out Nug. That said, I love to hit opponents' cards with Shocking Transformation!

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
It's hard call, but I hate to see Grasping Cthonian go. A good character plus support destruction is a great deal for 3 and Shub can reuse him better than most factions to wreck more supports later. Hungry Dark Young is great too, especially paired with other character that have an "enters play" effect. I often play Hungry Dark Young to bring back a Harvesting Mi-Go to simultaneously add to one of my domains which is a pretty sweet move for cost 3.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shub