Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hastur top 10 cards

- - - - - hastur

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Hastur is master of terror, insanity, and preying on the weak-minded. They have a lot of cultists that follow the yellow sign, they have some icon manipulation, but their real strengths are in driving characters crazy, taking control of characters, canceling effects, and discarding cards.

1. Apeirophobia (NN) - This card is so good it needed to be errata'ed, and it's still almost as good. Painful Reflection (TWC) is another equally devious variant of this.

2. Feathery Watchers (DD) - Like the Agency's Government Exorcist (TSotS), this allows you to choose a problematic character that can't participate; it's better in that it can be almost any character, but it can't target an AO.

3. Hamu XX 15:14 (SoK) - Very good card recursion, which is just as good as drawing two cards from the deck. If you get two Hamus, you can recur the same cards over and over.

4. Infernal Obsession (TAD) - I'll take that, please. Very little to argue with here, except its cost.

5. Stygian Eye (IT) - And look at that! When compared to Infernal Obsession, it trades 1 cost for a somewhat less permanent effect, unless you take control of a character with a terror icon or willpower. And even then it goes back into your deck for later.

6. The Seventy Steps (IMoD) - The bane of rush decks. A first turn Steps can slow your opponent to a crawl while you set up. This dominated the meta in 2011 in conjunction with the now-banned Endless Interrogation (TTftS) and Magah Bird (JtUK) (banned because of this actually).

7. Deranged Diva (WoP) - While vulnerable to destruction, this single two cost character can disrupt tempo very well since with each use it's setting your opponent's character back two turns.

8. Power Drain (Core) - This card can unravel your opponent's critical effects. A smart player wouldn't do anything stupid if a Hastur deck has a 2-domain open.

9. Scotophobia (Core) - Great for surprises at a story to drive your opponent's characters insane.

10. The Cavern of Flame (ItDoN) - This is one of the best story control cards in the game. You have to plan your deckbuilding around it a little, but having Guardian Pillar (SftSK) and The Seventy Steps (IMoD) for their dreamlands trait certainly won't make your deck worse.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Victoria Glasser (Core) - A cheap villainess, whose enters-play effect can usually find a target. Using her with Victoria's Protege (SftSK) and maybe The Thing Behind You (TPtY)
    can potentially get you a lot of mileage out of her.
  • Jiang Shi (CotJE) - A great card that your opponent must play around.
  • Crazed Arsonist (WitD) - Excellent repeatable location control.
  • Dangerous Inmate (SfW) - A machine gun against weenies.
  • Performance Artist (Core) - For 1 cost, getting this early game can be very annoying for your opponent's plans.
  • Ward Phillips (SotD) - cancelling character abilities can be very helpful, to say the least.
  • Shrieking Byakhee (CoC) - a great representative byakhee, this one lets you get out another byakhee for only 2 cost, so you can pull out Moonbound Byakhee (TGS) to give your servitors terror, or Obscene Byakhee (SoM) to discard an opponent's card.
  • Hastur (TSC) - while not as fabulous as other AOs at the same cost, he is pretty much the only reliable, repeatable way to remove willpower from characters.
What do you think? Hastur isn't one of my favorite factions, so there may be some I'm overlooking.
  • Jan likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Scotophobia helped me a lot last night when playing Bloated Leng Spider.

How about Byakhee Attack to put some real fear into your opponent?

The new AO N'Yog Sothep also seems reasonably priced and effective.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
I think you have all Hastur cards in the list that I tend to use in my multi-faction decks :)

Jiang Shi is the only one I'm unsure about - is it really that good?

If I was playing a deck that was actually focusing on Hastur cards, there are several good choices:
- Elise Warren, a real powerhouse if you enjoy using Lunatics
- Harbinger of Insanity, the doom of all decks featuring Cultists
- Bringer of Fire, although it requires some trickery to make it really effective
- Crazed Arsonist for easy, repeated Location destruction
- Ward Phillips, since you can never have enough ways to cancel your opponent's effects
- Demon Lover combos well with card effects that are restricted to low skill characters
- Shrieking Byakhee, if you like playing Byakhees
- Hastur TSC, expensive, but features the only card effect that removes any kind of insanity protection in the game - follow it up with Lost to the Madness ;)
  • Danigral likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Hastur really appeals to me thematically but I have not had much luck getting a good insanity deck to function.

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Hastur really appeals to me thematically but I have not had much luck getting a good insanity deck to function.

I think you need to have a good strategy on what to do with characters once you have made them go insane.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

How about Byakhee Attack to put some real fear into your opponent?

The new AO N'Yog Sothep also seems reasonably priced and effective.

Byakhee Attack (Core) is similar to Apeirophobia, except it's for sure 2 cards but useless if your opponent has one. You can usually get better mileage out of Apeirophobia though.

I'm unsure about N'yog-Sothep (SoK) since I don't play Hastur as much, but it seems okay. I tend to value combat more than terror, but the domain choke could definitely limit your opponent's options. Have you played a lot with it to give some good examples of how it's top 10 material?

I know, right? That's why I've migrated away from Hastur - because the lunatic concept doesn't seem that good to me since you're sacrificing board position for somewhat dubious effects. The only cards that have made me reconsider recently were Elise Warren (WaB) and Whisper in the Wind (WaB).

Jiang Shi is the only one I'm unsure about - is it really that good?

Good question. I've had success with it, but it's of an annoying card like Black Dog because your opponent has to play around it since it could bounce into any challenge to provide its skill and insanity. I could take it off though. Which do y'all think should replace it?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

My feeling is that a deck which over-relies on insanity is too brittle. Any of the Mythos factions can have enough Terror icons to give you problems and Agency can potentially have enough Willpower to be a problem too. That doesn't mean insanity isn't a good tool, but I feel like you need something else to back it up. Usually I either run a dual-faction deck or include a dose of take-control effects which I really like for Hastur.

I find Dangerous Inmate to be a staple character for me, you can use him to remove a targeted opposing character but he also has decent icons for 2 for time when you don't need to or there isn't a good target.

Byakhee Servant is a good combat character from the Core I use a fair bit just because Hastur is lacking in combat, although I wouldn't say he's a top 10 at all.

Don't overlook Victoria Glasser, 3 icons and a free insanity for cost 2 is pretty darn good and she's a Cultist to boot. Villainous is only a small drawback, I don't normally worry about it.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Don't overlook Victoria Glasser, 3 icons and a free insanity for cost 2 is pretty darn good and she's a Cultist to boot. Villainous is only a small drawback, I don't normally worry about it.

I thought about her too. She's a great character for 2 cost, just weak to combat/wounding/etc. Villainous isn't a draw back really, unless you really want to take control of a heroic character, which don't really seem to see much play since Agency is down right now. Her enters-play ability is great too. Is she top 10 though? Should I replace Jiang Shi with her?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
True, she is fairly bad at combat but I think in the context of the faction that's OK. Hastur's not much of a Combat faction and at least her arcane will let you re-ready someone else who is a bit more of a fighter if you need to.

Personally I'd rate her above Jiang Shi, but opinions can vary of course :)

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Well there is only one really mono faction. Cthulhu.. and maybe shub.. I think Yog gose well with Hastur and I hope to see some awesome yog cards in the coming expansion.

There was a decent things in the ground + hastur mill deck that uses a yog spell I forget the name for that forced the player to discard based on the number of insane characters in play.

Also wasn't there a location that made all cards played from the yard go insane instead of back onto the table? Really good against Dark Yong decks?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Also wasn't there a location that made all cards played from the yard go insane instead of back onto the table? Really good against Dark Yong decks?

I don't know of a card like this...was it in the CCG maybe?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
What is "from the yard?"

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

What is "from the yard?"

I understood it to mean from the discard, as in from the [grave]yard.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Ah, ok - that makes sense. I never played Magic so I'm not used to the "graveyard" terminology :)

Runix

Runix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

My feeling is that a deck which over-relies on insanity is too brittle. Any of the Mythos factions can have enough Terror icons to give you problems and Agency can potentially have enough Willpower to be a problem too. That doesn't mean insanity isn't a good tool, but I feel like you need something else to back it up. Usually I either run a dual-faction deck or include a dose of take-control effects which I really like for Hastur.

Hastur insanity decks can definitely work, but you have to have some helper cards to make them happen. Two of the best tools are The Enchanted Wood (IMoD) and (ironically!)The Rays of Dawn (TH) - both really open up monster decks to your insanity effects, without having to rely too much on Scotophobia (Core). You then use Stygian Eye (IT) on any cards with Willpower or lots of Terror icons that you can't otherwise deal with.

Two cards that I find very useful in Hastur insanity decks are The King In Yellow Folio (LR) and Guardian Beast (TSS), for fairly obvious reasons. Again, in combination with the "no Terror icons for you" cards, they make for powerful combinations.

I've been thinking about combinations that would take advantage of The Marked (TbtA), but, well, he's really tricky to deal with, so I haven't really come up with anything yet, but I have the feeling he could potentially be at the root of some devastating effects.
  • Danigral, Jhaelen and Jan like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Hastur insanity decks can definitely work, but you have to have some helper cards to make them happen. Two of the best tools are The Enchanted Wood (IMoD) and (ironically!)The Rays of Dawn (TH) - both really open up monster decks to your insanity effects, without having to rely too much on Scotophobia (Core). You then use Stygian Eye (IT) on any cards with Willpower or lots of Terror icons that you can't otherwise deal with.

Two cards that I find very useful in Hastur insanity decks are The King In Yellow Folio (LR) and Guardian Beast (TSS), for fairly obvious reasons. Again, in combination with the "no Terror icons for you" cards, they make for powerful combinations.

I've been thinking about combinations that would take advantage of The Marked (TbtA), but, well, he's really tricky to deal with, so I haven't really come up with anything yet, but I have the feeling he could potentially be at the root of some devastating effects.

When The Marked first came out, I thought that it would be very, very good, but I've since forgotten about him. He is fragile, but removing ALL terror icons is just ridiculously good. At the same time it will make you just as vulnerable in mirror matches, and Hastur is still weak in the combat department. It would probably be better to use him with AOs, like Hastur/Shub or Hastur/Yog with Glaaki. That would be pretty brutal.
  • Runix likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I've only used The Marked a few times but it can be frustrating losing your own Terror icons too. I think it's just one of those cards you need to have a plan to include, not something you can just throw into a deck.

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I wonder that Stealthy Byakhee (TTotT) isn't mentioned in any way. (one of my favourite Hastur-characters:))
Together with Feathery Watchers (DD) or/and The Cavern of Flame (ItDoN): a lot of story-control!
And it can deal with AO (most do have at least 1 arcane).
  • Danigral likes this

Wickywacky

Wickywacky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
There is a bucketload of Hastur cards that take over opponents cards

Blind Submission (Core)
Come With Us (IotF)

Infernal Obsession (TAD)
Polar Mirage (AtMoM)
White Out (AtMoM)

And while not Hastur,
Granny Orne (KD) should be considered as an MVP ally in mono Hastur or Hastur centric decks

My favourite Hastur card is
Master of Amulets (TSS), I think he should get at least honourable mention, taking over insane characters of the opponents without a resource activation cost or exhausting quite powerful, and comboing him with
Mad Genius (Core) is a guilty pleasure of mine
  • Danigral likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
70 steps.

Still arguably the best card in the game.
  • Danigral likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hastur