Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Yog-Sothoth top 10 cards

- - - - - yog

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Yog-Sothoth is faction dedicated to spells and the arcane. They have a lot of effects that force your opponent to sacrifice characters, and are masters of the discard pile with the most recursion effects in the game - so much so that the discard pile (and even your opponent's discard!) is like a second deck or hand sometimes.

1. Twilight Gate (TH) - This turns your early-resourced Faceless Abductors, Many-Angled Things, or a plethora of out-of-faction options into pseudo-events, and allows you to accelerate a main domain at the same time.

2. Frozen Time (TKatG) - 2 cost to blank pretty much any card is just very good.

3. Doppelganger (TWB) - This character basically allows you to act like you are running x6 of your best characters, except you have flexibility to choose which character you want to copy. Two Faceless Abductors? Two Many-Angled Things?!

4. Faceless Abductor (TOotST) - It is a decent character in its own right, with good icons, but when you can target an opponent's character at a story, this becomes a great tool for swinging stories your way, or forcing your opponent to sit on his hands.

5. Many-angled Thing (TGS) - Great economy! You net a character and your opponent loses one and all the resources they paid for it. Decent icons too.

6. Pushed into the Beyond (TbtA) - A similar effect to Faceless Abductor, but since it's an event it can be even more impactful. A smart opponent would always think you could play this at any moment.

7. Rite of the Silver Gate (TKatG) - There aren't many things that can take out an AO with one hit, but this can.

8. Stalking Hound (PT) - A great "touche" effect just when your opponent thinks he's being clever. Expensive if you need to pay for him, but otherwise a good deal.

9. Professor Nathaniel Peaslee (TKatG) - One of the cheapest and easiest ways to take control of a character. Sure, there's the risk that you play hot potato in a mirror-match, but it's too good otherwise.

10. Lost Oracle (TKatG) - With a modicum of arcane and other discard effects, you can really slow down a rush deck.

Honorable mentions (probably too many smh):
  • Glaaki (AoA) - This AO can be a real head-ache for your opponent. He can deal with pretty much any character on the board, even AOs, by driving them insane and making them ripe for wounding. Probably one of the best AOs, but without resource ramping AOs aren't much of a thing right now.
  • Interstellar Migration (TkatG) - Probably the representative card of the infamous mill deck. Very weak on its own, but with other discard effects and some yithians, it's hard to combat.
  • Things in the Ground (SoA) - Last but not least is a card that, while it may affect how you build your deck, is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get large beef into play early in the game.A Single Glimpse (Core) - This is probably one of the best of the sacrifice events for Yog. With enough other board control, you can make your opponent have a very difficult choice.
  • Calling Down the Ancients (SoA) - similar to A Single Glimpse, this allows you to target a character, but places more limitations on your choice. Running it with skill reduction effects works really well.
  • Eltdown Shards (***) - This is probably my favorite tome as it gives you a better chance of triggering the condition, and giving you a good defender, which could mean a solid two-card advantage each turn. When you combine it with conspiracies like The Painted Corpse (MoE), The Grand Design (TbtA), Combing the Archives (LR), or From the First Degree to the Last (TbtA), it becomes absolute devastation to your opponent's hand and allows you to ready multiple characters for defense.
  • Journey to the Other Side (Core) - Allows you to determine that your draw for the next turn, and gets you a card at the same time. This is a good example of Yog's theme of simultaneous deck/discard/hand manipulation or filtering.
  • All are One (TSC) - A similar effect to Journey to the Other Side, this one searches less but puts one in your discard, Yog's backyard playground.
  • Cannibal Ghast (Core) - A great defender when you need to bide your time and build up.
  • The Sleepwalker (TAD) - Similar to Agency's Government Exorcist (TSotS), this perhaps gives you just as much choice in targets, and she is immune to insanity due to her terror icon.
  • The Large Man (TSS) - This large dude packs a powerful effect. Any event back to your hand. Lots of possibilities with him although he is a little expensive and vulnerable.

• LeeMurdock, Yipe, Jan and 1 other like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Over time, I find I'm using A Single Glimpse less frequently. Too often you're just zapping some cheap weenie with it and Many Angled Thing give a lot more payoff for 1 additional cost.

Some cards I like include:
Blood Magician - wonderfully versatile card that makes life difficult for your opponent
Journey to the Other Side - again, a very versatile tool to set up draw or get a card if you can overpay
Across Dimensions - only for mono decks, but a very nasty story trap
Lethargic Miasma - Great way to lock down a character with Terror or Willpower

I'm not sure Things in the Ground is so much a card as a deck strategy :)
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Over time, I find I'm using A Single Glimpse less frequently. Too often you're just zapping some cheap weenie with it and Many Angled Thing give a lot more payoff for 1 additional cost.

I don't necessarily disagree with you there.

I'm not sure Things in the Ground is so much a card as a deck strategy :)

Yeah, but I was sure I would get lambasted if I didn't include it. :)

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
If you do have a problem with A Single Glimpse only killing cheap doofuses, you can try replacing it with Calling Down the Ancients and taking some sort of skill reducer. This is most feasible in mixed faction decks including Syndicate, Hastur w/ Demon Lover, etc... I actually really like Yog/Hastur decks for some reason and have run that combo before.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
Again, a very solid selection.

The only one I'm surprised to see is the Sleepwalker. I'm also not sure if I'd included the Eltdown Shards.

To replace them I'd choose All are One, which I like better than Journey To the Other Side (although I'd be fine with inlcuding the latter, too, particularly since it's a Core Set card).
My other choice for the top ten would be Curse of the Stone, simply because it's the best milling card out there.

Other very good cards:
Prism of Many Views - Knowing every card your opponent draws plus an ability to discard gives you a big advantage.
Stalking Hound - Also that probably goes to the proposed colourless list?!
The Large Man - Expensive but useful icons and very good abilities, even after the nerf.

An honorable mention should go to Forgotten Shoggoth because of its one-of-a-kind effect of redirecting all of your discards to your deck.
Likewise The Silver Key, because it's just weird.
  • Danigral likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Easy list. Glaaki is a fantastic card! :)

Anyone tried building a Glaaki themed deck with Initiation of Glaaki and Servants of Glaaki from the same Asylum Pack?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Easy list. Glaaki is a fantastic card! :)

Anyone tried building a Glaaki themed deck with Initiation of Glaaki and Servants of Glaaki from the same Asylum Pack?

I tried it when those cards first came out. The problem with any of those conditional reducers (Beings of Ib, Lord of the Silver Twilight, Seeker of Mysteries) is that they rarely stay out long enough to make a real difference for when you need to pay to get out the AO. You probably should depend on them to get your AO out, especially if your opponent knows that that's your primary way of affording Glaaki. Initiation of Glaaki helps a little to get back the Servants, but it's a little expensive otherwise.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
:sigh: So many honorable mentions already, and I forgot about Umr At-Tawil and Cursed Skull...

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hehe. And this faction is getting a deluxe expansion? ;)
  • Danigral likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Prism of Many Views - Knowing every card your opponent draws plus an ability to discard gives you a big advantage.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Prism. Your opponent gets information about your draw also, but the very flexible discarding more than makes up for it.

Yes, I've done one before. I think I also had Seeker of Mysteries in there, and Doppelganger as my restricted card so they could stand in as an extra discount if necessary. It's a pretty fun sort of deck, I'll have to add that to the list of theme decks to cover on Elder Things sometime.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
So now that the Yog box is out, what comes off and what stays on?

Darkman

Darkman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Maybe i would take out a Single Glimpse, Eltdown Shards and Prism of many views. thinking about things in the ground as its too situational (even though it got me quite far in my first tournament).

I would add:

Yithian Scout (TKatG)
Vortex of Time (TKatG)
Rite of the Silver Gate (TKatG)

Wanna kill an ancient one, just use Rite of the Silver gate. And now Yog can also destroy support cards.
Icw Prism or Vortex you can make certain you destroy the card you want. Best of all, you can do this 3 times!!

Yithian scout is probably the card I like the most. It fits a discard deck and its great with all the sacrificial effects (the three bells, the silver twilight ritual, etc). It also makes cards like single glimpse and many-angled thing quite useless (other top 10 yog cards!!). Put down the other new support Ys (TKatG) and you wont have to fear any destruction card at all.

Vortex of time is great as an event alone, 2 cards at any time for cost 2. But then it gets even better, you get some control over your opponents deck when its in the discard and your opponent cant do anything about it. Also lets you filter your own deck to get those valuable cards even quicker
  • Danigral likes this

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
IMO 2 cards from the new box for top 10 :
Frozen Time (TKatG) A versatile card that is never wasted in a deck.

Rite of the Silver Gate (TKatG) my favourite card in the box. :) Amazing!
  • Danigral likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Twilight Gate.

Engine of Tom's last world championship deck.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Agree with these two. The new Professor Nathaniel Peaslee (TKatG) can be pretty abusive, too.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Maybe i would take out a Single Glimpse, Eltdown Shards and Prism of many views. thinking about things in the ground as its too situational (even though it got me quite far in my first tournament).

I would add:

Yithian Scout (TKatG)
Vortex of Time (TKatG)
Rite of the Silver Gate (TKatG)

Wanna kill an ancient one, just use Rite of the Silver gate. And now Yog can also destroy support cards.
Icw Prism or Vortex you can make certain you destroy the card you want. Best of all, you can do this 3 times!!

Yithian scout is probably the card I like the most. It fits a discard deck and its great with all the sacrificial effects (the three bells, the silver twilight ritual, etc). It also makes cards like single glimpse and many-angled thing quite useless (other top 10 yog cards!!). Put down the other new support Ys (TKatG) and you wont have to fear any destruction card at all.

Vortex of time is great as an event alone, 2 cards at any time for cost 2. But then it gets even better, you get some control over your opponents deck when its in the discard and your opponent cant do anything about it. Also lets you filter your own deck to get those valuable cards even quicker

I agree that the cards you named can come down to honorable mentions. The ability of Shards is good but comes in a bad package (attachment with conditional trigger).

Frozen Time is probably one of the best cards in the box imo, right up there with Scholar. Easy blanking is just powerful.

I'm not sure how I feel yet about Rite of the Silver Gate. It's 3-cost and with so much support destruction in the environment, I feel it would be wasted. It's certainly a great effect though.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Along with its versatility and cost, Frozen Time is great because it doesn't destroy anything. So many cards around which winning decks revolve are unique, and Frozen Time just shuts them off. Also love the weird dino-rhino.
  • Danigral likes this

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I'm not sure how I feel yet about Rite of the Silver Gate. It's 3-cost and with so much support destruction in the environment, I feel it would be wasted. It's certainly a great effect though.

yes, you are right, it seems a bit expensive. But most cards it would target are expensive,too. So it's more a card for playing later in the game, when opponent has already played those cards.
To protect it against support destruction,Guardian of the Key (SftSK) seems to me being the perfect addition. It's also useful before playing Riteof the Silver Gate.
  • Danigral likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
I have to say I think Nathaniel Peaslee is worming his obnoxious way up there...

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I have to say I think Nathaniel Peaslee is worming his obnoxious way up there...

I've considered running Core Peaslee just so my opponent can't do KatG Peaslee, but the 1-cost part is just too good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yog