Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Yog-Sothoth top 10 cards

- - - - - yog

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

I've considered running Core Peaslee just so my opponent can't do KatG Peaslee, but the 1-cost part is just too good.

How does that work? Or are you evaluating Professor Nathaniel Peaslee (TKatG) as part of a specific strategy/deck-build?

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
So I think if you own a unique card in play, regardless of who controls it, you can't control another copy of that unique card. This is why you can't play another copy of a character you lost to Infernal Obsession. Someone should double check me on this, though.

So Danigral is considering the four cost Peaslee because if he had that Peaslee in play when the Yog-Peaslee came into play,using the Yog-Peaslee's ability would result in Danigral controlling two unique Peaslees, which can't happen, or his opponent owning one unique Peaslee and controlling a second, which also can't happen. Since both outcomes would result in illegal situations, the assumption is that Yog-Peaslee's ability can't be activated.

Again, someone should check my understanding of the rules here, because I've been wrong before.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

So I think if you own a unique card in play, regardless of who controls it, you can't control another copy of that unique card.

Rule Book p6 - Unique Cards

If a player has a copy of a unique card in play, he cannot play, take
control of, or put into play another copy of that card. It is possible,
however, for both players to have the same unique card in play at
the same time.

Wickywacky

Wickywacky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Rule Book p6 - Unique Cards

If a player has a copy of a unique card in play, he cannot play, take
control of, or put into play another copy of that card. It is possible,
however, for both players to have the same unique card in play at
the same time.

To me rulewise Peasley core and Peasley TKAG are NOT "copies of the same unique card".

The rulequote above to me is ambiguous enough that I would not accept one interpretation over another, unless this is clarified in a FAQ/errata.

Flavourwise, it also make sense to me for it to be possible to have different versions of the same namesake card into play. If you draw from the concept that both players can have in play the card Cthulhu (core) at the same time; why couldn't one player have Cthulhu (core) and Cthulhu (TWB) or Peasley (Core) and Peasley T(KAG ) in play at the same time? Time and place is distorted in this mythology, especially when Yog is involved.

I'm not trying to troll Tragic in saying his interpretation is wrong, I'm just saying that IMHO I would interpret this differently. Please don't take offence :)

Kris

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
I do not take offense!

Still I disagree. The unique trigger is the card name. So if the name is the same, then you can not play a second copy.

Cthulhu (Core) , Cthulhu (TWB) even though they have different sub text "the great old one", "Lord of R'lyeh".. they have the same title, and this triggers the unique. Maybe a more experienced player can chime in but I find it hard to imagine this is incorrect.
  • Wickywacky likes this

Carioz

Carioz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Both Peaslees are copies of the same unique card.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

How does that work? Or are you evaluating Professor Nathaniel Peaslee (TKatG) as part of a specific strategy/deck-build?

Others are correct in presuming my meaning. If I have core Peaslee in play, my opponent cannot trigger KatG Peaslee, because he cannot give me control of a character I already have in play. Still, it's just a bad idea to try to combat a 1-cost card with a 4-cost card... :wacko:
  • Jhaelen likes this

Wickywacky

Wickywacky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Both Peaslees are copies of the same unique card.

If they are copies of the same unique card how come they are different cards then?

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

So I think if you own a unique card in play, regardless of who controls it, you can't control another copy of that unique card. This is why you can't play another copy of a character you lost to Infernal Obsession. Someone should double check me on this, though.

You are correct, here is the note from the FAQ (it is a little more specific than the line Tragic posted from the rulebook):

You cannot gain control of or play a
unique card if you already control or
own a copy of that card in play.
  • Jhaelen likes this

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

If they are copies of the same unique card how come they are different cards then?

They have the same unique title, which makes the difference. I understand what you're saying, and it could be worded better in the rule book. However, if you are at a tournament it would be an illegal play to try to control both Cthulhu versions at the same time.

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
For newer players, I think it's clearest in the deck building section that same-title-different-description cards count as the same card:

2) No more than three copies of a card (by title) may be in the
deck. (If two cards have the same title but different descriptors,
they still count towards the limit of three.)
  • Midian and Wickywacky like this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Celaeno Fragments (WaB) vs Celano Fragments (Core)? I always assumed that the name on the one in the core set was a typo, but they have never bothered to errata it.
  • Danigral, Jhaelen and orso like this

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Isn't there a similar conundrum with Sorceror and Sorcerer?
  • Danigral likes this

Wickywacky

Wickywacky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

For newer players, I think it's clearest in the deck building section that same-title-different-description cards count as the same card:

2) No more than three copies of a card (by title) may be in the
deck. (If two cards have the same title but different descriptors,
they still count towards the limit of three.)

You see that's clear, concise and to the point
+1

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Isn't there a similar conundrum with Sorceror and Sorcerer?

And also with Cthonian (Displaced Cthonian (CoC)) and Chthonian (Grasping Chthonian (IotF),Telepathic Chthonian (TGS))!
  • Midian likes this

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

And also with Cthonian (Displaced Cthonian (CoC)) and Chthonian (Grasping Chthonian (IotF),Telepathic Chthonian (TGS))!

:D haha!... I never noticed that difference...till now.
So does it really mean that
Shudde M'ell (TGS)
Sinkhole! (TWC)
Ground Tremors (TGS)
seriously do not interact with
Displaced Cthonian (CoC)??? :o

...bye bye Chthonian / Cthonian deck...
(There isn't a FAQ correction for this card that reveals it is a misprint.) (What it must be! For sure!!)

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

:D haha!... I never noticed that difference...till now.
So does it really mean that
Shudde M'ell (TGS)
Sinkhole! (TWC)
Ground Tremors (TGS)
seriously do not interact with
Displaced Cthonian (CoC)??? :o

...bye bye Chthonian / Cthonian deck...
(There isn't a FAQ correction for this card that reveals it is a misprint.) (What it must be! For sure!!)

I emailed Damon and Brad a while ago with typo info for Chthonians and Sorcerers, as well as a couple other things.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
So should these errata, which can actually be pretty significant (Shudde M'ell (TGS) perhaps most obviously), gain inclusion into the FAQ itself (that seems a little cumbersome to me) or should they get a separate document to re-iterate what we all think they're supposed to say?

I mean, you could argue that Wilbur Whateley (DD) could never accumulate any success tokens (there is no character named 'Wilbu Whateley'), but that seems intentionally obtuse...

Alternatively, someone could design an amazing deck around Wilbu and I'll change my signature...
  • Jhaelen and Carioz like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

So should these errata, which can actually be pretty significant (Shudde M'ell (TGS) perhaps most obviously), gain inclusion into the FAQ itself (that seems a little cumbersome to me) or should they get a separate document to re-iterate what we all think they're supposed to say?

I mean, you could argue that Wilbur Whateley (DD) could never accumulate any success tokens (there is no character named 'Wilbu Whateley'), but that seems intentionally obtuse...

Alternatively, someone could design an amazing deck around Wilbu and I'll change my signature...

That was another typo I included. :) Should we start a thread to catalog them?

redmask

redmask

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Not to break the steam-powered conversation here, but why is there no mention of
Nikola Tesla (TKatG)? Tesla is a power-house. I wouldn't be surprised if him and
Vortex of Time (TKatG) started seeing some play.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yog