Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Neutral or Colorless top 10 cards

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Note: by "colorless" I'm referring to cards that belong to a faction, but do not require any faction resource match to play. So this includes zero-cost cards without Steadfast, "pay X to put into play" cards, and cards that play for free based on some sort of trigger condition.

1. Snow Graves (AtMoM) (Shub) - Shuts down a lot of decks hard by preventing discard recursion.

2. Master of the Myths (IT) (Silver Twilight) - Top notch reusable blocker, as well as a decent active-turn character with 3 skill and Arcane.

3. Black Dog (WoP) (Shub) - Zero skill is a drawback, but 2 Combat and Fast will often get you a kill and that reduces enemy skill anyway.

4. Dreamlands Fanatic (ItDoN) (Cthulhu) - Free with a relatively easy trigger condition, bringing you a pretty decent character and a way to get Terror in factions that normally don't have it.

5. Marcus Jamburg (WoP) (Neutral) - Combos well with all sorts of Support cards, although Ice Shaft is a particularly popular one.

6. Descendant of Eibon (TTotT) (Neutral) - What can't he do? 4 icons, Willpower, Fast, and a put-into-play effect that will usually recoup its own cost.

7. Mentor to Vaughn (KD) (Neutral) - Solid even with his ability, but being able to exhaust defenders puts him over the top.

8. Eldritch Nexus (Core) (Neutral) - Enhances a lot of decks, particularly those with a lot of "Pay 1 for <something" abilities.

9. Guardian Pillar (SftSK) (Neutral) - Support card that becomes a pretty strong Character on demand.

10. Broken Space, Broken Time (CoC) (Neutral) - Any Ancient One I want from anywhere in my deck for cost 4? It's got "broken" right in the title, so it must be good!

I was trying to avoid having pretty much all characters, but that's where a lot of the colorless cards come from. Stalking Hound (PT) is a good alternate, but with a slightly harder trigger condition. So are several of the Conspiracy related characters likeThe Red-Gloved Man (WitD), but only if you're running Conspiracies which makes them (IMHO) too situational to make the top 10.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
You forgot Stalking Hound! :)

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
He's listed in the text at the bottom. Almost made the cut, but I find his trigger isn't reliable enough.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

He's listed in the text at the bottom. Almost made the cut, but I find his trigger isn't reliable enough.

Hmmm, I find it rather reliable since everyone is using Master of the Myths and Black Dog and BS,BT.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Well, it's kind of meta-dependent, but I'm OK promoting him if you want. What would you drop though?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Well, it's kind of meta-dependent, but I'm OK promoting him if you want. What would you drop though?

True, it is meta-dependent I guess, but I think everyone uses at least Master of the Myths, and if you run BS,BT yourself, you can always get him into play that way.

I've never really used Mentor to Vaughn outside of my Syndicate skill reduction deck. I haven't found him to be that ubiquitous or that much of an auto-include. Maybe him?

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

8. Eldritch Nexus Core (Neutral) - Enhances a lot of decks, particularly those with a lot of "Pay 1 for <something" abilities.

It's strange, I remember when I first got this game thinking this card was soooo amazing, but I've never actually thrown it in a deck. I'll have to dig out some cards with those sorts of abilities and give it a shot.
  • HappyDD likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
The new old one that feeds the domains makes these cards insane. Nug or something he is called.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

I've never really used Mentor to Vaughn outside of my Syndicate skill reduction deck. I haven't found him to be that ubiquitous or that much of an auto-include. Maybe him?

That would be my choice, as well.

I suppose the list gets a bit crowded, because there's a lot of good neutral characters (and other card types).
E.g. Nodens is pretty good to clean the board.
Nyarlathotep is probably the most annyoing card in the game.
Julia Brown, Insomniac - Probably my favorite neutral card: very strong and resilient for her cost, can also provide some much-needed investigation for monster factions.
Aliki Zoni Uperetria - Shut down this pesky domain your opponent left undrained to play the Master of Myth...
Arkham Asylum is the key to deal with insanity in all its forms.
Parallel Universe - the support card that's really an event to throw a monkey-wrench into your opponent's plans for the story phase.
Negotium Perambulans... - Still probably the only worthwhile Conspiracy in the game.

A bit situational, but both The Enchanted Wood and Terrors in the Dark are nice.
Beneath the Mire and The Greatest Fear are also some favorites of mine.

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
There are so many neutrals it is hard to call...

Some stand out characters not mentioned...

The Claret Knight (SoK) look at that icon / cost .. skill is low.. but still nice effect as well that makes him a bit more sturdy than you would think.. there are a lot of other cost effective muli icon cards in neutral.. like Amaranth (SoK) for example, whom with The Red-Gloved Man (WitD) is a real win in a conspiracy deck.

Also... wasn't this guy in like all the top decks at worlds?
Nyarlathotep (JtUK)

There are so man neutral cards about 50 cards or so bigger than anything else in the game.. there is so much good stuff. They are over looked as they lack focus like the factions. Still there are some awesome tools in neutral that will aid almost any deck you can imagine. When i build a deck, and get to that stage of umming and arrrhing over cards.. I always read though neutral, as there is usaly a card that looks like it was printed just for my new deck and there would never be another time the card would ever be used... it is awesome like that.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
I have found Nyarlathotep only marginally annoying in all the games I've played with or against him. If he comes out early, he is pretty good because your opponent has to take the knocks, but if all your cards are good, it won't be too big of a setback. I don't play anything crazy like 3 factions and a huge neutral packet, so resourcing isn't terribly affected, If he comes out late than his ability is pretty much wasted. I can sit on my current resources until he's sac'ed or destroyed.

Another great neutral card is Diseased Sewer Rats (SoA).

Both of these cards are restricted for a reason!

Another neutral jumper worth mentioning is Dirk Sharpe (TBJ). He's 2 cost, but he has good icons if the story isn't too terrifying. A similar one to him (that he surpassed and replaced in efficiency) is The Cats of Ulthar (JtUK) - 3 cost, but 2 combat, and a (albeit bad) way to return it to hand. Black Dog and MotM are much better, though.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Dimensional Rift (SoA) - only I like board clearing?

Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris (DD) - this card is ultimate lo-cost hate, got restricted for a reason

Beneath the Mire (CoC) - situational but crazy powerfull when fires
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
I can see Beneath the Mire in a character light deck, but it seems risky.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Nyarlathotep is really, really rough if he comes out early. Tom pretty much wrecked everyone at worlds with it by dropping it first/second turn in I think every game.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Whats risky about Benath the mire?
The only problem with it is that opponent will usually not commit to 3 stories at once, but if he does you don't commit anything (or commit to less than three) and all his guys are gone - crazy card if opponent does commit to 3 stories.
And even if you cont its huge surprise factor out, making sure opponent does not commit to more than 2 stories when you have ravagers, dynamites etc is really nice.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
I'm pretty sure Matthew Alexander (SoK) might deserve a spot on the list now after seeing some of the things he can do at Worlds.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
He's not Neutral/Colorless though - you need a Miskatonic character in play for his ability to trigger. This list is for cards that you can use no matter what factions you're using.

He is pretty strong though.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

bump

Karrius

Karrius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Claret Knight absolutely needs to be in the top 10. I see it played so often. It's weird because a lot of the cards listed are restricted, and not really played as much because they are - while Mage Known as Magnus and Mage's Machinations get played a bunch more. Honestly, I'd put Machinations on the list, too, just for being amazing removal. Cats of Ulthar also deserve an honorable mention.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

I put the Claret Knight in almost all of my decks, as there is little that gets rid of him. When I put him on the table, my opponent is always annoyed to see him, as they work out how they can beat him.

• kamacausey and TuT like this