Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Neutral or Colorless top 10 cards

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I would suggest there be a separate list for Neutral and one for 'Colorless'?

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
That seems reasonable, if only to highlight some of the great neutrals that are likely to get dismissed by the great colorless cards. I'm not sure that there are 10 worthy colorless options, though- the good ones are amazing, but they aren't that numerous.

Black Dog, Dreamlands Fanatic, Stalking Hound, Snow Graves, MoM (who was a lot better 18 months ago). I'm probably forgetting something, but it starts to get a bit mediocre after this.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Colorless cards should just be put on their faction's list, I propose.

These are in the process of being updated since 2 deluxe boxes have come out since...

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Colorless cards should just be put on their faction's list, I propose.

Please don't! I think they fit in a lot better here.

• NuFenix and Zephyr like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

There aren't enough colorless cards to make a decent top-10 list.  Since you don't need to play that faction to use them, they behave as Neutral cards, so to me they make more sense to be here than in the faction lists.

• NuFenix likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Still... Neutrals can be played at cost, while 'colorless' is not strictly playable under normal resourcing constraints, at least until later in the game (I'm not resourcing a Black Dog until pretty late if my deck doesn't have Shub Niggurath as an integral faction).

However, as I said above, I agree with David that you ain't gonna find 10 'colorless' cards worth playing out-of-faction. For example, Deep One Assault can be used in a deck against which Snow Graves is an auto-loss, but it's hardly an elite include in a large number of non-green decks.

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Can you actually name 10 "colorless" cards period? MoM, Black Dog, Snow Graves, Dreamlamds Fanatic, Stalking Hound...I'm probably forgetting something but that's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Rich widow, Intruder From Beyond, DOA (under the circumstances I mentioned above), Dirk Sharpe, Mya Badry. With those already mentioned, that's 10- I'm sure there are quite a few more.

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

It was merely a suggestion and not a request. It seemed there were a number of quality Neutral cards not getting their due because of the inclusion of the 'colorless' or 'cheater' cards. If those 'cheater' cards aren't good enough to make it on their own faction lists perhaps they shouldn't be mucking up the Neutral list? Food for thought  ;)

• WWDrakey, Danigral, VonWibble and 3 others like this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

Why not have a top 5 colourless special mentions in the thread, then keep the neutral lists to the actual neutral cards?

• WWDrakey, Danigral, Unnamable and 1 other like this

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Why not have a top 5 colourless special mentions in the thread, then keep the neutral lists to the actual neutral cards?

This seems incredibly sensible.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Rich widow, Intruder From Beyond, DOA (under the circumstances I mentioned above), Dirk Sharpe, Mya Badry. With those already mentioned, that's 10- I'm sure there are quite a few more.

Oh neat, I hadn't really noticed Intruder From Beyond before.

Why not have a top 5 colourless special mentions in the thread, then keep the neutral lists to the actual neutral cards?

Works for me.  Keep both in the same thread, but two separate lists.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
I also like the idea of 10+5.

We might want a discussion of 6-10 somewhere else, though (I don't think it belongs in the lists that are being linked into the new player page), simply because the top 5 are almost beyond dispute.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

There's definitely more, e.g. The Terror of the Tides and Beings of Ib - both pretty good cards.

Panzerbjrn

Panzerbjrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Am I missing something? Master of Myths require 3 Silver Twilight resources, no?

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Nope. Pop him in for a phase by paying 1 of any color. To play him you need Silver Twilight, but not to put him into play using his action.

Ditto on Black Dog, though he works a little differently (he's a response, not an action, and he comes in committed, unlike MoM).

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
It's already been said a couple times but claret knight deserves a spot on the list. He is a top 5 neutral card for sure.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
As does his favorite partner, Plague Stone.

Panzerbjrn

Panzerbjrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Nope. Pop him in for a phase by paying 1 of any color. To play him you need Silver Twilight, but not to put him into play using his action.

Ditto on Black Dog, though he works a little differently (he's a response, not an action, and he comes in committed, unlike MoM).

Oh... oohhhhhhhh....

My friends and I have always played it as the 1 to pay on cards like that had to be the faction's card...

But this makes sense.

Thanks.