Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Silver Twilight top 10 cards

- - - - - silver twilight

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Silver Twilight, the newest faction, is still relatively in its infancy compared to other factions in terms of a faction identity. They offer a rich set of combo effects that trigger off of cards entering or leaving play, discarding cards, or having less cards in hand. They also have a lot of "bounce" effects, a good icon spread of everything except terror, and the highest number of invulnerable characters of the human factions.

1. B. Ramsdale Brown (TKatG) - This is great card advantage period. It can get back great cards you've already played to good effect, or can get back combo pieces somehow discarded from play.

2. Initiate of Huang Hun (CotJE) - He is great at keeping the board under control so that your sacrifice effects pack more punch, and you can manage stories better.

3. Joseph Meiger (DotU) - He is a great 1 for 2 that can fish out one of the best control cards in the game, Rite of the Silver Gate (TKatG), and one of the best card draw combos with ST, Stone Calendar (TC)

4. Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST) - He's like the Initiate except he can target a character, even an AO, to bounce. He's also got a good icon spread to boot.

5. Protector of Secrets (IotF) - He can target a character not to participate, which is just as good as an exhaust effect, like Syndicate's Hard Case (Core), but with an additional icon.

6. August Lindquist (FtGG) - Very efficient and very hard to remove. This is bordering on "Descendant good."

7. The Doorway (TBJ) - It's both a way to protect your characters from surprises at stories or from other targeted effects, and a way to get back your characters with enters-play abilities. And it's 0 cost. It's perfect.

8. Dirk Sharpe (TBJ) - One of the only jumpers with an investigation icon, and he has a neutral effect cost.

9. Zanni (TiV) - This is great for a weenie-rush strategy since with a little bit of character removal he can almost guarantee some unopposed stories.

10. Master of the Myths (IT) - While you can find in the top 10 Neutral/Colorless list, he's so good he deserves a top stop in ST as well.

Honorable mentions:

• Sergeant Terry (FtGG) - Where ST struggles is in efficient character in the 2-cost slot. This guy fits the bill AND provides card advantage. Combine it with something like Hermetic Seal for repeated card draw.
  • H.O.S.T. (TSB) - There is no denying that this is a powerful ability that synergizes with ST's strengths and provides cards to boot, but it also allows for an easy combo with Rich Widow (PT). If you can figure out how to get HOST into play early, it can give a huge advantage.
  • From the First Degree to the Last (TbtA) - Committing 3 of your characters has absolutely no downside as long as you win arcane, and with no terror or combat struggles, those pesky monsters can't touch them.
  • Guardian of Dawn (TiV) - Another contender for best weenie, but only when it's day, otherwise he's still decent.
  • Knight of the Eclipse (WoP) - Note that his ability activates if there is a tome in play, not necessarily under your control. A 3 cost character with willpower and invulnerability, let alone non-unique, is rare.
  • Knight of the Outer Void (TOotST) - This let's you get back a character with a great enters-play ability every turn, and it has willpower and good icons. Very efficient.
  • Steal the Soul (TOotST) - This can give a really nasty surprise to an opponent at a story. Stealing a terror icon can also protect the character for a story, really altering combat math.
  • Professor George Angell (TSB) - While 3 cost is a slot with a lot of competition, the ability to cancel ANY triggered effect is very powerful, if you can discern the best time to use it. Until then, he's another body at stories.
  • Sarah Van Shaw (WoP) - Of course you want to play tomes with her, but when you have one, all lodge characters get two additional icons, which is fantastic. Since she's the crux of the combo, you'll want to have a way to protect her so that it doesn't all fall apart at the wrong time.
  • Carl Stanford (SoK) - The new Carl is excellent in a mono-ST build due to his passive ability, but when you throw in a lot of Yog's spells, or try to abuse ST's rituals, it's a certain one card a turn back to your hand.
  • Hermetic Seal (TiV) - Cheap cancel for a variety of annoying effects.

• Yipe and Jan like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I'll need some help with this one, since I don't like Silver Twilight much at all. They have some decent cards, but not enough right now to where I don't think that I'm taking on baggage when I choose it as a part of a dual-faction build.

Well, having come in a close 2nd at Gencon last year with a Silver Twilight/Shub deck I can't quite agree with that :) But it does also put me in a position to try to help out with the list which is already looking pretty good.

Master of the Myths is being hosted on the Neutral/Colorless list so I wouldn't double-list him here.

Steal the Soul (TOotST) is a must-have IMHO, fantastic card for cost 1 (Pass Grip of a Master isn't bad either

Sarah Van Shaw (WoP) is excellent too

I wouldn't put it in every deck, but Hidden Agenda (CotJE) can be very strong if you can set up a double story phase

I'd probably drop Pose Mundane, Dirk Sharpe. I haven't used Deodand much, I tend to go for their 1-cost icon granting Events more often so I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Sorry, dboeren. I didn't see your offer to do this before I posted it. I'm sure you could have provided more insight. :)

I made some edits based on your feedback. Any others? What do people think of T'tka Halot (WaB)?

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
-1 for The Deodand - Cost 2, Non AO, can still use him once at story or any amount of times if not committing, can commit then sacrifice, can destroy attachment... too many problems IMO, it can be ok'ish, but top 10?

I cant find a good pick to replace it though...
MOM and **** Sharpe are nice, but kinda neutral more than ST

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Well, having come in a close 2nd at Gencon last year with a Silver Twilight/Shub deck I can't quite agree with that :) But it does also put me in a position to try to help out with the list which is already looking pretty good.

Master of the Myths is being hosted on the Neutral/Colorless list so I wouldn't double-list him here.

Steal the Soul (TOotST) is a must-have IMHO, fantastic card for cost 1 (Pass Grip of a Master isn't bad either

Sarah Van Shaw (WoP) is excellent too

I wouldn't put it in every deck, but Hidden Agenda (CotJE) can be very strong if you can set up a double story phase

I'd probably drop Pose Mundane, Dirk Sharpe. I haven't used Deodand much, I tend to go for their 1-cost icon granting Events more often so I'd like to hear what others have to say about it.

Man, I don't own WoP yet- I've never seen Sarah Van Shaw. That's just an awesome card!

I've never tried building a deck running primarily Silver Twilight. I almost always see it or use it as a supplement to one of the other factions, sadly.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I cant find a good pick to replace it though...
MOM and **** Sharpe are nice, but kinda neutral more than ST

Lol, see my problem? I can't think of ten top cards.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
Well, this is the faction I have the least experience with.

I think Magical Theorist is worth mentioning, since he makes the various Rituals actually worthwhile.
I like the Lodge Housekeeper for it's incidental (albeit temporary) removal of support cards.
You Know Too Much is a nice event because of its dual effect of forcing a sacrifice or removing cards from your opponent's hand.
For similar reasons I like the Unscrupulous Acquisitionist: drain a domain or return a character to hand.
Dark Secrets of the Order synergizes well with the typical character bouncing strategy.
The Dedicated Butler is useful for sacrifice trickery at cost zero.
Arcane Tampering looks nice, but I've never seen it in action to be sure.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

-1 for The Deodand - Cost 2, Non AO, can still use him once at story or any amount of times if not committing, can commit then sacrifice, can destroy attachment... too many problems IMO, it can be ok'ish, but top 10?

Man, I don't own WoP yet- I've never seen Sarah Van Shaw. That's just an awesome card!

Ok, so I'll add Sarah and move The Deodand to honorable mentions.

I think Magical Theorist is worth mentioning, since he makes the various Rituals actually worthwhile.
I like the Lodge Housekeeper for it's incidental (albeit temporary) removal of support cards.
You Know Too Much is a nice event because of its dual effect of forcing a sacrifice or removing cards from your opponent's hand.
For similar reasons I like the Unscrupulous Acquisitionist: drain a domain or return a character to hand.
Dark Secrets of the Order synergizes well with the typical character bouncing strategy.
The Dedicated Butler is useful for sacrifice trickery at cost zero.
Arcane Tampering looks nice, but I've never seen it in action to be sure.

Good suggestions...I liked You Know Too Much on paper, too, but I haven't played with it because I try to avoid cards that give my opponent a choice. Choking draw can be a bit of a setback, but altogether not spectacular. Doing it turn after turn though, perhaps with The Large Man, now that would be very annoying. Hmmm, I'm going to try to build that deck. :)

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Updated with TiV and TKatG. Also, somehow I forgot to add B. Ramsdale Brown before. He's money.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Again in no order:
  • Master of the Myths
  • Jeffery Farrington
  • Initiate
  • B. Ramsdale Brown
  • The Doorway
  • Protector of Secrets
  • Zanni
  • Dirk Sharpe
  • Steal the Soul

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Thanks, I had forgotten about Dirk Sharpe! I'll probably bump the conspiracy for him.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Im putting a vote in for Hermetic Seal (TiV). a disrupt to enter play effects that returns to your hand. at 1 cost !! and is immune to everything but night cards !!!!
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
I considered Hermetic Seal, but it was borderline for me. Definitely worth an honorable mention.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
i probably only mentioned it because i just played against a deck that spat it out first turn, along with Zanni and the 1 cost Day dude from TIV. what a killer 3 card play !! haha. its not top 10. but is definately a card that needs to be considered before fielding Deep One Rising etc.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Hermetic Seal is pretty useful for 1, one my best starts lately is to drop The Guardian, fetch Hermetic Seal, and then play Keeper of the Silver Sphere. Your last domain can play the Hermetic Seal or drop Guardian of Dawn but you want both eventually.

I don't know if Doorway is top 10, remember that it's got errata that weakens it. It definitely would be without the errata though. I'd replace it with Steal the Soul, that's always been a very reliable card for me.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Whats the Doorway timing change?
Before FAQ it was kinda undefined IMO, as you cant really disrupt nothing at all.
And "an effect" means any kind of effect right? Like getting wounded from C struggle.... or not?
I hate this game lack of reasonable ruling template so much...

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
The errata version says: "Disrupt: Before an effect would resolve, exhaust The Doorway to choose a character you control that is committed to a story and return it to its owner's hand."

The version printed on the card starts at the word "Exhaust" and does not say "Before an effect would resolve".

I've always taken "an effect" in the new wording to mean "a triggered effect" in this text, as a passive effect does not resolve. If you can use it to react to an icon struggle then that does improve the power of the card, I'd never really thought about that being possible.

The original wording as you said seemed to say that you could trigger the card anytime you feel like it (well, it would still probably need to be in the story phase to be useful). This would have been quite a bit better and worthy of the top-10 list I think, although you're probably right that the definition of a Disrupt probably doesn't allow that sort of thing to work anyway.

For me, it's tended to be a card that sounds good on paper but doesn't work out as well in practice as it did when I was making the list.

Mikec103

Mikec103

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
well I gotta say thanks for this list. I am a brand new player, should have my 1st Core set tomorrow. I have to ask a questioin about B. Ramsdale Brown (TKatG). What does the token on him do? Can it be used to complete a story card?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Regarding The Doorway (TBJ), I've always played it that you can use its disrupt against the effect of a story struggle, which makes it extremely useful. The card doesn't read "triggered effect" just "effect" which means it applies to both card and game effects.

Section 1.1 of the FAQ Card Effect vs Game Effect:

"All effects are either game effects or card effects. Card effects are produced by cards, game effects are produced by the rules of the game."

This is also supported by the FAQ on Forced Responses (Section 1.11). They are considered "game triggered effects" so we know that some triggered effects are part of the game rules and not just from cards.

Because The Doorway doesn't specify which type of effect, it can be either, and therefore useable against the effects of an icon struggle. It's an auto include in my ST decks and should be on the top 10. I like to use it as a way to reset B. Ramsdale Brown (TKatG) or bring Protector of Secrets (IotF) back to my hand (while simultaneously canceling a terror or combat struggle).
  • Danigral likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I have to ask a questioin about B. Ramsdale Brown (TKatG). What does the token on him do? Can it be used to complete a story card?

B. Ramsdale Brown is Fated 3. This means he can use his ability 3 times before being discarded from play. Each time he uses his ability, place a success token on him. This token isn't placed on any stories but on the character's card. I'm not sure if there is a card effect that allows you to redistribute success tokens on B. Ramsdale Brown to your stories, but if you could, then I guess they would count.

Off the top of my head the only character I know who does something like this is Nikola Tesla (TKatG).

Note that If a character with any tokens on it (such as from Fated, Toughness, etc...) is driven insane, then all those tokens are removed. If the character had Toughness and had at least 1 wound token on it when made to go insane, then that character is destroyed.

Did that help answer your question, Mikec103? If not, or if you have other questions, please let us know.

And welcome to Cthulhu, it's a great game!
  • Danigral likes this