Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Black Sails Support Poll

- - - - - Black Sails Poll

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Black Sails Poll (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Which House got the best support for Black Sails?

1. Stark (12 votes [16.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

2. Lannister (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Baratheon (5 votes [7.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

4. Greyjoy (54 votes [76.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.06%

5. Targaryen (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Flint

Flint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So, which House do you think got the best out of the Black Sails Agenda?

I'll obviously share my thoughts, but not in the opening post =).

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,736 posts
~No Martell option?

Stark for me, Dromon is so good, and their aggro style fits perfectly with the agenda style; that coupled with their renown allows for a hellish aggro-rush.
  • WWDrakey, Kennon, Ire and 1 other like this

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2,175 posts
Don't we have three chapter packs left in the cycle? This question seems premature, but nonetheless, my vote goes to Greyjoy on the back of Victarion alone. Stark second, Bara third, Lanni and Targ last.

Elcor05

Elcor05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Meadowlark is clearly the best. Should have been Martell!

Right now it seems Stark or Targ, although the Baratheon stuff isn't bad.

Flint

Flint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

~No Martell option?

~I excluded the obvious winner to make it more challenging.

I know it's premature, but I think we can already see most of the bigger picture.

I also think Greyjoy got it best (and rightfully, given the nature of this Cycle), especially since they can easily include the White Harbor Dromon by including Refurbished Hulks and/or First Mates. Not to mention they get a very consistent War Crest synergy, while Starks don't.

Lannisters are very meh, but I am very disappointed by the fact that 3/4 of Baratheon Naval characters suffer from a negative trait, and that includes the Fleet. Black Sails are best fought by disabling Naval peeps. Allowing to switch off most of Bara options by using Dissension means Bara BS will never become a thing. Same goes for Targaryen. Army with a negative trait = no go (and the Targaryen Naval weenie is horrible). Balerion would be nice, but has too few targets without the Dragon Egg (BRB, just had a deck idea).

Bomb

Bomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts
Maybe we will learn more once the rest of the packs are released.

Balerian would be dynamic naval support for black sails at least.

Arzoo

Arzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I guess this is as good a thread as any to mention how much I dislike how Martell gets no support whatsoever for the new agenda (even putting aside personal hate for how unbelievably bad a few of their recent cards have been). I know that it's "thematic" for them to have a crappy navy, but I fail to see why that should stop them from getting naval icons at all. Quentyn and company all crossed the sea (they even reprinted Quentyn with nearly identical stats but still no naval icon), and there's no reason the Meadowlark couldn't have offered actual naval stuff instead of being the most expensive way to fail at evening the playing field imaginable. What makes it more annoying is that they haven't gotten any other theme to play in exchange for this, it's just "everyone gets this new toy to play with but you." It's not even about making the house stronger or weaker, it's just boring to get no support for the cycle's special theme; I'm already waiting for the one after it, and holding my breath on the next restricted list ceasing the effective ban on orphans and my favorite event card.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
I voted for stark.

white harbour dromon that gives a any character naval enhancements, a character with 2 naval enhancements and locations for adding/removing any character from a challenge. Stark got the most flexible tools for a black sails deck which allows them a much wider range of builds.

Renown on everything is awesome.

Everything stark got this cycle can be used across builds, not just in BS.

Arzoo

Arzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
I still think we should be on the lookout for smuggler stuff with Baratheon's.

Also we STILL haven't seen the captain trait get any support; I'm really hoping that it's something big. That could shake things up a lot (though I doubt it'll change the top house for BS from Greyjoy).
  • PulseGlazer likes this

Arzoo

Arzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Anyone have any guesses on what Captains will get? I'm thinking at least a plot card, and maybe an event that either buffs them, uses them as a kneel cost, or requires winning a challenge with them. Outside chance on a neutral character/location that buffs them; I guess I could envision a series of "port" cards for each house, but I don't recall any mention of them being a specific theme of any upcoming pack and we'd probably have seen one or two captain supporting cards for one house or another if the support was spread across houses, so I'm guessing whatever support they get won't be house-specific.

Maybe the plot card will be something like "if you have a captain in play, your characters do not kneel when declared as a naval attacker or defender?"

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Greyjoy got the most naval characters, with trait synergy with the existing card pool. 4 of the characters have the naval enhancement on mil icon but with only one character with an int enhancement and one with a pow enhancement you will be forced to rely on a single challenge type to trigger the agenda.

The whole point of the naval enhancement is to force your opponant to overcommit characters, this doesn't work so well when relying on a single challenge type.

Stark have two characters with naval enhancements for each challenge type plus white harbour dromon, that gives enough coverage for each challenge type. Not having to rely on a single challenge type will allow stark to trigger the BS agenda 3 times as often as greyjoy.
  • JCWamma and PulseGlazer like this

Arzoo

Arzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

The whole point of the naval enhancement is to force your opponant to overcommit characters, this doesn't work so well when relying on a single challenge type.

Ironically I think the naval agenda ends up making the naval player overcommit more than his opponent in order to trigger the agenda; oftentimes just one character would have been enough to win the challenge, and the fleet cards are likely overkill even with their response being used.
  • Grimwalker likes this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Ironically I think the naval agenda ends up making the naval player overcommit more than his opponent in order to trigger the agenda; oftentimes just one character would have been enough to win the challenge, and the fleet cards are likely overkill even with their response being used.

I think this is another area where stark come out on top (over greyjoy).

Stark have a good supply of non-kneeling characters as well as osha and swamps of the neck to remove unnecessary characters from challenges. They also have frozen outpost to stand, and buff, their fleet on the defence without removing it from the challenge. Stark are much less likely to overcommit than greyjoy.

Greyjoy's strength has always been in winning undefended challenges but in order to activate any abilities that trigger off that, and trigger the agenda, they must commit two characters against 0 defenders. Greyjoy can be forced to overcommit just to trigger some of their in house abilities.
  • JCWamma and OKTarg like this

liukinhei

liukinhei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i think greyjoy will be the best match with this agenda ... !!

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Although I think stark got the best cards the only BS deck I've built is Martell melee BS build that uses meadowlark and unbent, unbowed, unbroken.

The deck is called maester and commander, using maesters for draw and gold, ooh naval characters with reduced cost because of dorne and pentos.

The BS agenda gives me a 30 card deck which can be self milled using negotiations at the great sept and unbent, unbowed, unbroken until my deck is empty. The trick is to use pyre of the false gods to reload my deck with events, in this case flood waters and citadel law, so that my deck contains a handful of events that are drawn and played every turn.

With river plots its possible to trigger 10+ revealed plot effects each turn.

The same engine (black sails + self mill + pyre) can be applied to any combo of events for a wide range of Martell BS builds.

Jovan

Jovan

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Don't we have three chapter packs left in the cycle? This question seems premature, but nonetheless, my vote goes to Greyjoy on the back of Victarion alone. Stark second, Bara third, Lanni and Targ last.

I have to agree.

Kennon

Kennon

Podcast Editor

• Small Council
  • 1,319 posts
Victarion is a great card, but the Dromon is so dang flexible that it gives Stark the capability to win any challenge with naval guys, much like Mulletcheese said. Gaining power as you do so, isn't anything to sneeze at either.

Alando

Alando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I've had some success with Baratheon BS, and I've seen some good GJ ones, but no Stark ones yet. Possibly because Stark can already toolbox pretty well with no agenda, or because their naval stuff works well in a Siege deck.

Flint

Flint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
OK, so now we know 4 packs out of six, and the latest one is pretty light on BS/Naval Support.

While Dale Seaworth is spectacular, and I'm sure he'l be a centerpiece of many a crazy deck, He's not good because of his Naval enhancement. He's a Baratheon Naval Character without a negative trait though, which is rare.

Blazewater Bay is awesome, there's no denying that.
Blackwater Rush definitely worse, but still nice. Deadly in Intrigue/Power is always nice.

But the best card supporting Black Sails in the pack is actually Port at Slaver's Bay. Between Captain Groleo (who goes through your draw deck) and Black Sails Agenda (which goes through your Hold) you have a 100% capability of fetching exactly the attachment needed for a given situation. While Groleo himself without BS could to the same, now you can do it twice with one Character.

Just imagine the possibilities. Put Tyrosh and other OOH lowering Kingdoms in your deck, and just feast on the amazing attachments other Houses have, and pay for them less than thy do! Pyromancer's Cache and Devious Intentions for free. Or Enslaved for 1. Poisoned Knife or Taste for Blood! Motley or Stinking Drunk (talk about burn support)! All the while you can use the Influence on the Kingdoms to draw (Xaro's Home). I am really, really excited to try this deck out. Are you?
  • agktmte, kizerman86 and PulseGlazer like this

theCrow

theCrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I like your idea and I myself am pretty excited to try out Baratheon BS soon, but since I have literally no experience with this agenda so far, I have to wonder: does house targaryen have enough naval enhanced characters at this point to make a viable BS deck without splashing some naval stuff from other houses?
And more generally: what appears to be the best number/ratio of naval enhancements in a deck and BTW what turned out to be the perfect deck size from your experience guys (I've seen some people writing about 100 card decks when the first chapter pack came out)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Black Sails, Poll