Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New The Key & The Gate previews

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Mine is en route from Amazon, will be in my hands tomorrow!

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
It's heeeeeeeeere!
http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4131

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I like the extra decklist they included in the article. All from one copy.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Frozen Time - really like it.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
OMFG. Tesla!

Frozen Time is really good. Stark has a similar card in AGoT.

Runix

Runix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Just got it, and some quick impressions: milling is here, and in a big way. Yog now has even more tools for milling, and lots of the new Yog cards have effects that can be triggered out of discard, so they are the undisputed masters of the discard pile at this point. Best to start thinking right now about how to counter milling strategies. Shub has The Stone on the Peak (DD), the University has . . . umm, Atlantis (SoK) I guess, oh and Hapless Graduate Student (THBtS) . . . not efficient, but enough to avoid getting decked. Everyone else, start thinking.

Scientists are now a thing, especially with Quantum Theorist, who very effectively allows for multi-color decks. Also, there are more Explorers, more Polar, a neutral Prophecy, and a very good one at that . . . and Yog now has a Transient.

Finally, my vote for the game-changer of the expansion is definitely Prepared Alienist (FFG didn't spoil it, so I won't!) Nikola Tesla is a close second, although he is very specialized, a very unusual strategy in a single card, and definitely specific to Yog.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Just got it, and some quick impressions: milling is here, and in a big way. Yog now has even more tools for milling, and lots of the new Yog cards have effects that can be triggered out of discard, so they are the undisputed masters of the discard pile at this point. Best to start thinking right now about how to counter milling strategies. Shub has The Stone on the Peak (DD), the University has . . . umm, Atlantis (SoK) I guess, oh and Hapless Graduate Student (THBtS) . . . not efficient, but enough to avoid getting decked. Everyone else, start thinking.

Scientists are now a thing, especially with Quantum Theorist, who very effectively allows for multi-color decks. Also, there are more Explorers, more Polar, a neutral Prophecy, and a very good one at that . . . and Yog now has a Transient.

Finally, my vote for the game-changer of the expansion is definitely Prepared Alienist (FFG didn't spoil it, so I won't!) Nikola Tesla is a close second, although he is very specialized, a very unusual strategy in a single card, and definitely specific to Yog.

Prepared Alienist was on the About page for TKatG:
Posted Image
I agree it will change the meta somewhat, giving a neutral option to all houses other than Flux Stabilizer for MU. Just being able to play Tesla will be very cool, and I agree, he is a card you must have an answer for. :)

Runix

Runix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Prepared Alienist is weaker than Flux Stabilizer (PT) in some ways - he's vulnerable to destruction (although the Toughness is nice), insanity, and exhaustion, which are all critical weaknesses. But he's also stronger in some ways, in that he prevents Stygian Eye (IT) shenanigans and so forth. As much as I like the Stabilizer, I think the Alienist is the better choice for many decks - particularly those that have a way to protect him, e.g., 607 Walter Street (KD).

The difficulty in dealing with Tesla is that the easiest solution - direct destruction - isn't going to do much good against him; it just triggers his effect. And a deck built around Tesla is going to have plenty of ways to protect him and/or bounce him back from the discard pile. The best answer at this point, I think, will be insanity - although you can bet that a good Tesla deck will have a ready solution for that, like Disc of Itzamna (TBJ) or Tcho-Tcho Talisman (Core). At any rate, I think it's a fascinating card, as it opens up a whole new way to win the game, something we haven't seen in some time (the Whateley cards are superficially similar to Tesla, but ultimately, you're still running stories, which with Tesla, you're not).

Oh, and Tesla being vulnerable to insanity . . . someone's got a sense of humor.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Prepared Alienist is weaker than Flux Stabilizer (PT) in some ways - he's vulnerable to destruction (although the Toughness is nice), insanity, and exhaustion, which are all critical weaknesses. But he's also stronger in some ways, in that he prevents Stygian Eye (IT) shenanigans and so forth. As much as I like the Stabilizer, I think the Alienist is the better choice for many decks - particularly those that have a way to protect him, e.g., 607 Walter Street (KD).

The difficulty in dealing with Tesla is that the easiest solution - direct destruction - isn't going to do much good against him; it just triggers his effect. And a deck built around Tesla is going to have plenty of ways to protect him and/or bounce him back from the discard pile. The best answer at this point, I think, will be insanity - although you can bet that a good Tesla deck will have a ready solution for that, like Disc of Itzamna (TBJ) or Tcho-Tcho Talisman (Core). At any rate, I think it's a fascinating card, as it opens up a whole new way to win the game, something we haven't seen in some time (the Whateley cards are superficially similar to Tesla, but ultimately, you're still running stories, which with Tesla, you're not).

Oh, and Tesla being vulnerable to insanity . . . someone's got a sense of humor.

Yes, the limitations on taking control are going to be annoying to one of the major archetypes currently. I think we're going to see a large increase in text-blanking effects, which is probably the best answer to Tesla right now, in addition to Prepared Alienist. Called by Azathoth, Frozen Time, and Scholar from Yith will be very annoying to deal with. Especially now because with some characters they're better off in play than being destroyed or being in the discard pile. It's a very interesting twist to the meta, and it won't be as simple as destroying everything on the board and walk to stories undefended.

For reference, this is Nikola Tesla's text:
Cost 2, Skill 4, Posted ImagePosted Image

Scientist. Independent.
Forced Response: After you trigger an effect from your discard pile, put a success token on Nikola Tesla.
Disrupt: When Nikola Tesla would be destroyed, move all success tokens on him to any number of revealed story cards.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Got my set last night. So far I really dig it. Tesla is an interesting character. I wonder if his ability actually works. With all the Hastur going around now, he is pretty easy to just drive insane.

For the discard effects - I will try the Ythian mill, but I still think Things in the Ground is your best option. Maybe some combo of the two... :ph34r:

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Got my set last night. So far I really dig it. Tesla is an interesting character. I wonder if his ability actually works. With all the Hastur going around now, he is pretty easy to just drive insane.

For the discard effects - I will try the Ythian mill, but I still think Things in the Ground is your best option. Maybe some combo of the two... :ph34r:

Yeah, I didn't realize at first that he wouldn't keep his tokens when he went insane, but he loses them. He would have to be protected, but a Mask of Sthenelus or Disc of Itzamna would be perfect for that until the stars are right... }:-`

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Yup, important to remember that if he goes insane all the tokens are discarded:

What happens to success tokens that are on Silver Twilight Collector when this character goes insane? Do they get discarded or do they stay on the card?

After a character goes insane it loses any tokens placed on it or any cards attached to it. When a character with 1 or more wound tokens goes insane it is immediately destroyed.

Thoughts on The Festival? It might be the best card in the set. You can so easily splash in 5-6 cards of a single faction and now be able to resource properly by pulling them out of your deck. Very interesting.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Yup, important to remember that if he goes insane all the tokens are discarded:

Thoughts on The Festival? It might be the best card in the set. You can so easily splash in 5-6 cards of a single faction and now be able to resource properly by pulling them out of your deck. Very interesting.

Festival is amazing. It will be the focus of my next Pacta Arcana! :) I agree, nothing better than splashing in Museum Curators, Caverns of Flame, etc. out of faction.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Oh nice! I've been thinking about a deck with x3 Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS) and then just one other Cthulhu card to yank with the Festival.

Overall I think this is a pretty decent set. I do think some of the Yog cards are a bit to 'janky' for my tastes. You need a lot of cards in certain places for them to work, and as we all know you rarely get all the cards you need to make everything work. :lol:

Darkman

Darkman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
are the cards already spoilered somewhere? I do not own the box yet, so i'm curious whats in there.

beckyyyy

beckyyyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

are the cards already spoilered somewhere? I do not own the box yet, so i'm curious whats in there.

It looks like they are working on it here in the card browser. So far, 8 cards are posted. :)

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
up to 24 now. Sorry the full spoiler isn't up yet. I had hoped to have it done this weekend but mothers day ate up more of my time than I thought it would. I'm hoping to have it finished tonight or tomorrow.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Jim Black (The Descendant himself), posted a full spreadsheet spoiler on BBG: http://www.boardgame...eluxe-expansion.

We will soon have a card-by-card first-take review up in the next few days! Be on the look out! :)

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
I am torn between reading all the spoilers right now and waiting for my box to arrive -- tomorrow! -- to paw through it myself.