Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New The Key & The Gate previews

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

I am torn between reading all the spoilers right now and waiting for my box to arrive -- tomorrow! -- to paw through it myself.

Not reading the spoiler sheet paid off, as I got to chortle with complete surprise at card 50.
  • Danigral likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Not reading the spoiler sheet paid off, as I got to chortle with complete surprise at card 50.

Yeah, very interesting. This was at least partially view-able on the about page when it was announced. It's cool how they are integrating somewhat modern urban myths with a somewhat sinister theme.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Got mine last night, finally! We'll be doing card reviews for the next episode of Elder Things, aiming to work on recording tonight.
  • Danigral likes this

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
So what does everything think of the cards so far, worth the wait?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

So what does everything think of the cards so far, worth the wait?

My situation kind of sucks...my FLGS's distributor screwed up so I have to wait until the end of this week. I can't wait to build my first mono-Yog deck, just so I can play Across Dimensions (TAD). ;) However, I am having fun looking at the spoilers and contemplating The Festival (TkatG). The cards are definitely worth the wait.

It has confirmed that older themes will be supported (e.g. there is a new prophecy card). It also allays some of my fears about power creep, since a lot of the characters are good, but not crazy good like some the MU box. It's actually really well balanced imo. I actually don't think the fated keyword will change that much since it does nothing against destruction and sacrifice, so you'll still have to have answers for that if you want them to stay in play. I also like that there are multiple directions to take with a lot of the cards - I can see them in a number of faction mixes.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Yeah it is a pretty decent box. For something like the Yithians, I'm not sure they can stand really well on their own - but using them as a subset in a mono-yog could be pretty decent, especially the draw effects.

I agree about fated. I'm going to try Jeanne D'Ys in a Things in the Ground (SoA) deck. Seems like a pretty crazy discard mechanic when so many characters are on the board.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
It's a good set I think. A lot of the Yithian cards work best with each other, but there are still plenty of solid cards suitable for general decks.

Darkman

Darkman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
the box is on its way to my home but already cheched all the cards here (there up all 55 now).
I really love some good card drawing so I do like Vortex of Time (TKatG) a lot. Get to draw two cards, its a spell and it has a really nice ability when it reaches the discard pile.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
I'm actually disappointed, with MU box + core you can make decent MU deck. Here not so much, there are not enough strong early game cards and many cards that can make interesting plays, but will require many "normal" cards to make a strong deck. I hoped it would be a great start for new players wanting to play Yog. Its still better than random APs, but not enough IMO.
For players with bigger pool the set is nice though. I need to play with ichtians, but there are many interesting effects.
And there are Fated cards that protect from sacrifice/destruction in a brutal way, so its not that easy to counter them.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

I'm actually disappointed, with MU box + core you can make decent MU deck. Here not so much, there are not enough strong early game cards and many cards that can make interesting plays, but will require many "normal" cards to make a strong deck. I hoped it would be a great start for new players wanting to play Yog. Its still better than random APs, but not enough IMO.
For players with bigger pool the set is nice though. I need to play with ichtians, but there are many interesting effects.
And there are Fated cards that protect from sacrifice/destruction in a brutal way, so its not that easy to counter them.

Yeah I noticed that too - especially the Yithians, are pretty weak on icons. However, you could probably make a decent MU/Yog deck with just getting both faction boxes.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Next step for me is an overhaul of the Silver Twilight/Yog deck I put together recently. It's an attempt to try out Magical Theorist with a spell-heavy Yog module but it's not quite working how I'd like just yet. But, with all the new cards I think I'll be able to make some significant improvements in the deck.