Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Miskatonic Rush Deck killing me

- - - - - Miskatonic Rush Seekers of Knowledge Explorer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Magnas

Magnas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Although I really enjoy playing Call of Cthulhu, we are starved for players here in Dublin. At the moment it is just a friend and myself, we have had no luck in finding other players over the last year.

Since the Keepers of Knowledge deluxe expansion came out last year my friend has been using a rush miskatonic deck with an Explorer theme. And it has largely broken our game. I have beaten it once over the past 5 months. I have tried, Shub / Cthulhu, Hastur / Yog, Mono Cthulhu, OST / Syndicate and Mono OST. The only deck to have managed to beat it was the Mono Cthulhu, and I was pretty lucky in that game.

The problem is that with him using the same deck (refining it as he goes based on what I come up with) our meta is basically all about rush. Which I have had no success in beating. The only option left is to make my own miskatonic rush deck ... but I'm not really interested in that and I think it points to a broken meta in the game when I have to play a particular strategy / faction in order for us to have any competition in our games.

I was hoping that the Key and the Gate would bring a lot to Yog that I would be in a position to compete with this cused Miskatonic deck .. but sadly I don't think that is the case.

Personally (after 5 months of being pounded by the same deck) I really feel miskatonic are overpowered since the expansion.

Any suggestions on what to do would be great, but with out any competition in our games the appeal is really leaving this game for me.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
You aren't alone! Rush is very strong right now.

The best card to combat rush in my opinion is Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris (DD). It will stop his rush cold the instant it hits the table. Ol' Lazy Eyes (CoC) is a character you can also use to make sure you get Negotium out as soon as possible.

I like to use Negotium in a Shub build - and use all of Shub's resource acceleration like Feed Her Young (WaB) and Priestess of Bubastis (Core) to get big characters out quick. He should have a very tough time competing at stories when many of his weenies can only commit to Negotium.

Hope that helps!

Magnas

Magnas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The other day he hit me with a sneaky opening turn trick to get characters into play really fast (Using Ultima Thule to put someone in play for a phase and then Mathew Alexander came straight into play from his hand). By the third turn in the story phase he had 5 characters out.

And of course Station Eismitte has really rendered my OST bounce effects, and Cthulhu direct wounding / sacrificing useless. (Although the new text blanking from Yog might be worth looking at, but I need it to be faster into play). This is the same problem as Negotium - I need it quickly in order for it to have effect (also not all his characters have low skill I think).

I think the main problem I have is with such a small pool of players (i.e. two of us) there is no variety, and the games are the same. Also he can tailor his deck specifically to target my decks abilities (i.e. Station Eismitte arriving after my Cthulhu deck scrapped out a win)

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

The other day he hit me with a sneaky opening turn trick to get characters into play really fast (Using Ultima Thule to put someone in play for a phase and then Mathew Alexander came straight into play from his hand). By the third turn in the story phase he had 5 characters out.

And of course Station Eismitte has really rendered my OST bounce effects, and Cthulhu direct wounding / sacrificing useless. (Although the new text blanking from Yog might be worth looking at, but I need it to be faster into play). This is the same problem as Negotium - I need it quickly in order for it to have effect (also not all his characters have low skill I think).

I think the main problem I have is with such a small pool of players (i.e. two of us) there is no variety, and the games are the same. Also he can tailor his deck specifically to target my decks abilities (i.e. Station Eismitte arriving after my Cthulhu deck scrapped out a win)

[xpost of my reply from FFG forums:]
Well, I guess there are some questions:
1) When you played that Cthulhu deck, what was it that was most effective for you? Was it sacrifice or direct wounding?
2) When you play, what 1 or 2 cards in particular give you the most trouble? Are there jumpers? Are they immune to effects? Does he do multiple investigation struggles?
3) What have you tried that you thought would be successful, and why didn't it work the way you expected?
Getting information like that would be helpful for us to give feedback.
In general, there are a number of things that you could try. For one, I have considered several times to use Devil's Hopyard, since a lot of the MU disrupts have become rather powerful. Explorers also can be slow to start since they are all 3 cost, often depending on the 1 cost location to jump them in; you can use the new Prepared Alienist to prevent that. Also, Negotium is a great conspiracy against MU rush because it dictates one story (which is essentially a double story) that they have to go to. Cthulhu (and a few other factions) also has a number of effects that slow the game down, mess up struggle math, add struggles that investigators are weak to, or dictate which stories players can commit to and how. This can seriously mess up rush decks. You want to make sure you have enough cheap characters to chump block to slow the game down for you as well.

Lol, tell your friend to try to beat you with something else then! ;)

I hope you're not overlooking some sort of interaction. For example, Eismitte only grants immunity to triggered character abilities, not events, not supports. Khopesh still works against them, as do any number of wounding or destruction events, like the ever popular Deep One Assault. Textbox blanking works to shut off the bonuses they grant to each other (because the subtype is removed to it as well). They are also not immune to a lot of sacrifice effects, as the player chooses that.

Also, try to use effects and characters with icon boosters, as then they will have to weather two terror/ two combat instead of one.

I would recommend some sort of Shub/Yog mix to get the support destruction combined with textbox blanking, Shub/Cthulhu for support/character destruction, or Hastur/Something (maybe yog) so you can play their take control attachments. Shub and Yog tend to have pretty efficient cheap characters (like Cannibal Ghast, Twilight Cannibal, etc.)

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Rush decks are usually low cost/low skill, have you looked into cards that specifically target these kind of characters? Negotium is one example, or maybe Y'ha-nthlei Statue since you seem to favor Cthulhu.

Here's another question, how much of a collection do you have to work from?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Any updates? Have you tried again?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Miskatonic, Rush, Seekers of Knowledge, Explorer