Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Broken Combo from TKatG

- - - - - Broken Jank CoC

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Did some testing this weekend with a Miskatonic/Hastur rush control deck versus the Yithian discard deck. The Yithian deck only one once over about ten games. Dangerous Inmate (SfW) and Deranged Diva (WoP) really locked it down.

However, it fired once on the first turn, and that was an auto loss. I got milled for 27 before I even drew a card. I think it's too inconsistent for someone to win a tournament with, but it is a pretty big NPE when fired on the first turn.
  • Carioz likes this

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Dangerous Inmate (SfW) and Deranged Diva (WoP) really locked it down.

Those cards are awesome and are linked to there own infinite combos :) Though a much weaker one.. still some simple destruction can solve this counter. Something as simple a a skull can stall enough for the combo to trigger.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Cursed Skull (MoE) would not have helped in this case. I had many guys out and would have just sacced one of my chuds.

One thing that hurts this deck is the need to fill all 33 card slots with Yithians, and 3 historians. That leaves you with 14 cards to deckbuild with, and you need to devote enough Miskatonic to be able to resource properly.

In these tests he was running Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris (DD) as the restricted card to try to slow my rush and stall. It did that quite well - but the insanity effects, Stygian Eye (IT), Infernal Obsession (TAD), and Snow Graves (AtMoM) were too much to over come.

To be fair the Yithian deck could do a lot better versus different deck types, but this particular build it was weak against.

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
this is what you usually find after some testing.. After the initial "omg this is ******.. the designers are idiots.. wtf wtf wtf" hysteria. Most combo decks are to weak vs a particular deck type to survive in competition. The question is will this "counter" deck do well vs other decks... and so begins the great wheel of a new meta!
  • badash56 likes this

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

this is what you usually find after some testing.. After the initial "omg this is ******.. the designers are idiots.. wtf wtf wtf" hysteria. Most combo decks are to weak vs a particular deck type to survive in competition. The question is will this "counter" deck do well vs other decks... and so begins the great wheel of a new meta!

I think it is - this Misk/Hastur build wasn't even a counter deck, it was the normal deck I took to regionals. It is pretty strong IMO.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

hahaha. me too. ill slink back to my johnny hole now ive had my vent. CARRY ON !!

Thanks for popping in Lyndon. Whether or not I (or others) agree with your air of "judgitude," you provide a very interesting perspective for players of a different type, which is why I encouraged you to come over here. It was a long time ago in a thread far, far away, but we discussed this regarding spike vs. johnny. Most competitive players/decks are spikes, You approach it from a very different angle, which I think is invaluable for the community, it's just that most people find it difficult to stomach what they perceive as hostility toward their attitude about how they play the game. If we can all get past this and discuss the ideas, it would be an interesting conversation, to say the least. I don't think people have anything against your opinion, just how they think it's packaged. I'm pretty sure you like to rile the monkeys, too. ;)

Did some testing this weekend with a Miskatonic/Hastur rush control deck versus the Yithian discard deck. The Yithian deck only one once over about ten games. Dangerous Inmate (SfW) and Deranged Diva (WoP) really locked it down.

However, it fired once on the first turn, and that was an auto loss. I got milled for 27 before I even drew a card. I think it's too inconsistent for someone to win a tournament with, but it is a pretty big NPE when fired on the first turn.

I guess that's right around the 10% I sussed out with my inferior math skills. I can agree that this is not competitive, however the first turn win possibility is still NPE, and still "broken." I think many of us can agree on that. However, tutors are becoming much more frequent in the cardpool; I fully expect to see more combos coming out. I guess I have to work out for myself what that means, since combos by their very nature try to achieve an automatic win condition. It's been absent for so long from FFGs LCGs that I have forgotten what that means (as I never played M:tG, so I largely ignore this decktype.)
  • Jan likes this

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I totally agree that winning a game on turn 1 as the starting player is not really what a competition (or in general the sense of a game) should be.
Why not introducing a general rule (at least for tournaments):
If you would win the game before your opponent has a chance to play his 1st turn, you are eliminated from the game.
(This would stop any deck, also in the future, with such a too powerful rushing winning-effect. ;)

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
yeah. once again, the people who think that their view MUST be right, put my differing perspective down to plain whinging. i thought i put a very concise (though admittedly tainted) argument about progressing the game vs winning the trophy argument forward. but no. im simply a moping sad sack who wants to ban everything. beating these decks CAN be done. it just gets to me that the percentage of people willing to put in the extra effort to build competative non meta decks is miniscule compared to the amount who simply take a few moments to throw together power decks and make competitions extremely boring. i wouldnt mind getting thrashed repetitively by different decks, in fact i love nothing more than giving my nod and approval to a clever play that floors me, but its a bit of a yawn when its the SAME deck style(s) over and over again which garner no respect at all. have a look at all the regional winners so far. all i see is ONE agency / silver twilight deck amongst a sea of hastur / miskatonic and mono-shub, and the former managed to beat both the latter. oh well. i think you're right. the monkeys DEFINATELY dont like their cages rattled. i'll try in the future to package it in a yellow box.

now. onto the combo. thanks to those that have put in the effort playtesting it. unfortunately lackey hasnt been updated yet so i havent been able to. hopefully its unpredictability will prevent people from trying to use it competatively as you have shown. well done!! and yes, it is funny how a furor always starts about these things (remembering the khopesh days fondly).

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
Khopesh was POWERFUL though.. hence the restriction

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
So we finally got to try out this deck last night. Now obviously there may be more tuning we can do with it, but the deck I was using devoted most of the extra space to Miskatonic cards that would allow for more card draw, particularly repeatable card draw like Scientific Text and Obsessive Insomniac.

The hit rate wasn't really that good. What's more, it was the least fun deck to play that I can remember ever using. Even if you improved the deck to succeed more often I think it's still going to be unenjoyable. If someone brought this deck to a tournament, I'm not sure that I'd be that worried, but I would not look forward to playing against the tedious thing.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that whether it "works" or not a turn 1 win combo is not a good thing to have around. I would prefer it if FFG did an errata to limit Keeper to X times per turn or whatever other modification is required to reign it in. Plus, if it's not a problem now it can still become one later. Someday there may be a better way to search out your combo cards, or more Yithians, or whatever. I would rather close the barn door now than wait until after the horses have escaped.
  • Danigral and Tragic like this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
I just opened an account on cardgamedb yesterday, largely because the Call of Cthulhu community here seems to have built up some nice resources and keeps it for the most part both civil and sane. The civility/sanity part, in particular, differentiates this forum from last year at FFG, where I have no interest in joining for exactly those reasons.

I don't ^^
Luckily, at least there's an ignore function in this forum! B)

In all seriousness, is there an ignore function in this forum? How do I use it?

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

In all seriousness, is there an ignore function in this forum? How do I use it?

Open your profile, then click on the 'Edit my profile button to the top right, then you can select ''Ignore' Preferences' to add members to your ignore list.
Currently it works for everything except comments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Broken, Jank, CoC