Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Noob needing a bit of help

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all.

New guy with the CoC LCG games.
Just got it couple weeks ago. Really starting to get into, was playing Arkham Horror previously. Great game but long. LCG much quicker to setup and faster game.
However, I need just a few rule clarifications hopefully from some of the long time players. Sorry in advanced if these topics are already a forum for these questions. Happy to delete once someone can kindly answer them.

1. Timing sequence: still trying to grasp this fully: I know that any action from an event card or card effect can be used by either player during each step in each phase, with the exception of story struggles for example

It clearly states in the rulebook that the active player has the first chance to act. Then an opportunity must be passed to next player to perform an action provided he/she has the resources. However my question with regards to this is if the active player does not make an action during certain steps, can the opponent make one even though the active player didn't. I know that the non-active player cannot play character or support cards from their hand, as they have to wait for their turn during their operations phase. However, it is my understanding that they can still perform any action from their events cards, and their character and support cards which are already in play, provided that they can pay for it.

2. According the core set rule book, it says add two factions from the seven and one set of neutral cards to form a deck. Is this just a suggestion for newbies like me, and if so, is there any restriction to the number and combintation of factions. Is there a minimum/maximum number of cards in your deck?
Also how does the conspiracy card get into the game when setup mentions nothing of it.

That's all the questions I can think of for now. I'm sure i'll have some more in the near future.

Awaiting your responses.

Kind regards,

MellonHead1980

PlayWithFire

PlayWithFire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

It clearly states in the rulebook that the active player has the first chance to act. Then an opportunity must be passed to next player to perform an action provided he/she has the resources. However my question with regards to this is if the active player does not make an action during certain steps, can the opponent make one even though the active player didn't.

Yes, priority must be passive consecutively by both players before moving to a new phase.

According the core set rule book, it says add two factions from the seven and one set of neutral cards to form a deck. Is this just a suggestion for newbies like me, and if so, is there any restriction to the number and combination of factions

No, but the more factions you put in a deck the more of a chance you have that you will not meet the resource requirements to play cards.

Is there a minimum/maximum number of cards in your deck?

50 card minimum, no maximum, of which you can have a maximum of 3 cards with the same name.

Also how does the conspiracy card get into the game when setup mentions nothing of it.

You play them from your hand as you would any other card during your operations phase. I believe you can have a maximum of one conspiracy card in the game at a time. Though you will need to check the rulebook on this one as I do not usually play with these cards.

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you PlayWithFire.

I think I'm more confident now that we are playing this game correctly.

In the rulebook, it mentions how Conspiracy Cards are played, but makes no mention of how it gets into any player's deck. I guess there are no rules about where it goes.

MellonHead1980

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
You put them in the deck just like any other card

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Another question regarding Attachments.

Can they be detached and attached to another card e.g. character card or story card while in play.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
Not unless you have a card which specifically allows it to be moved or bounces it back to your hand.

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Veronica Frost (MoE)

Just to clarrify Her text effets- Does that mean that during the icon struggles during the story phase, one of the other characters committed to the same story as her is immune to going Insane or wounded? Can't really find the benefit of this, wouldn't that just mean that she or someone else has to go insane or wounded?

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
Rulebook pg 13

A triggered effect is any effect with preceded by the following text in bold: Action, Disrupt, Response, or Forced Response.

It wouldn't protect against icon struggles.

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello another quick question:

The event card: Scotophobia Action: Until the end of the phase, each character controlled by an opponent loses all of its printed [terror] icons.

Does this apply to Cthulhu. I just cant't picture him going Insane after losing a terror struggle or other card effect.

Also if a character has the attachment Alhazred Lamp attached to a character.
Attached character gains [one of each icon]., does that character lose the terror icons on the character card only, and not the attachment card, when the Scotophobia event card is played?

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
Yes it would include Cthulhu.

Since Scotophobia refers to printed icons the icons gained from the attachment card would be unaffected.

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks again for all your help till now.

I do have another enquiry after playing another game tonight which I did win, but there was a sequence of play where my opponent was the active player which may have cost her victory. During her story phase, she committed two of three ready characters to a story.

It was then my turn to commit my characters to defend against her. I had one Ancient one character and two other charaters exchausted, however, I paid 1 and used to abilily of my Ancient one character to ready one of my exchausted characters, and that character had to commit to the same story as the Ancient one.

My opponent then wanted to commit her third character which she chose not to commit to, but I argue that she had already made her choice of which characters she wanted to add commit or not, and she couldn't just change her mind just because I did an action that allowed me to commit another character.

The question is was I right not to allow her to add more characters to the stories. It is not part of the game to guess what your opponent's actions will he/she play, or whether he/she would play an event card which you didn't foresee he/she would do because there was no way to know he/she had that card in hard. In the case of me using my character's action, she should have picked that up but didn't read my cards in play before committing her characters.

This is debatable. Please let me know your thoughts.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
You were correct. Page 9 of the rulebook gives the breakdown of the Story Phase

Story Phase
This phase is where most of the action in the Call of Cthulhu
LCG takes place. During this phase, the active player commits his
characters to stories in an effort to place success tokens on his side
of those story cards, while his opponent tries to prevent him from
doing so.

The story phase is played in three steps:
1. Active Player Commits
2. Opponent Commits
3. Stories Are Resolved

Step 1 – Active Player Commits
The active player decides which of his ready characters in play will
commit to which of the three stories, and then commits all of those
characters to the three story cards at one time. When a character
has been committed to a story, that character’s controller exhausts
that character and moves it in front of the specific story card. The
active player may commit any number of characters to each story,
as long as they are not already exhausted. Each character may only
be committed to one story.

The active player may choose to not commit to any or all of the
stories during this step. If the active player decides to not commit
at least one character to a story, the phase ends and the player’s turn
is over.

Example: Darin has five characters in play. During step 1 of the story
phase, he decides to commit one character to story A, two characters to
story B, but does not commit his two remaining characters to story C
because he believes that he will need them during his opponent’s turn.

Step 2 – Opponent Commits
The opponent (the non-active player) may now commit any number
of his ready characters to any story where the active player has com-
mitted at least one character during step 1.

Step 3 – Stories Are Resolved
The active player now selects one story at a time to be resolved.
When resolving a story, the committed characters will go through a
series of struggles, and finally the active player will determine if he
has met success at that story (see the detailed section “Resolving a
Story Card” for more detail).

After the stories have resolved, all characters committed to that
story return to their controller’s play area, retaining their current
status of readied or exhausted.

At the end of the story phase, play passes to to the other player,
who then must complete his entire turn. In this way, turns pass
back and forth between players until one player has won the game.

She was the active player so she would have to commit her characters to a story in step 1. After play passes to step 2 she would not be able to commit more characters to any stories unless she had a card effect which allowed her to do so.

WingatePeasley

WingatePeasley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I just recently bought the Call of Cthulhu LCG Core Set and the first 2 Asylum Packs from the Yuggoth Contract Cycle. So far I'm loving it. I started playing with a friend who just bought the Game of Thrones LCG.

After playing a few games with my buddy we still have to get the hang of the rules so I thought I misuse MellonHead1980's thread for my own noobish questions :D.

Well there's actually just one question which really bugs me. Can a character that has the Invulnerability keyword still be affected by the Cthulhu (Core) ability for the drawing phase? Meaning do I have to sacrifice a character with Invulnerability?

I think the rulebook says that a character with Invulnerability can be destroyed by card effets but the FAQ's always state that destroy and sacrifice are not interchangable terms.

I'm looking foreward to an answer.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts

Invulnerability
Characters with Invulnerability can never be wounded or chosen
to be wounded, or have wound tokens moved or placed on them,
regardless of card effects. However, characters with the Invulner-
ability keyword can still be destroyed by card effects.

The key part is that invulnerability prevents wounds. Yes cards which have taken a fatal number of wounds are destroyed but it doesn't mean that every destroyed card has been destroyed because of wounds. Either way though Cthulhu requires you to sacrifice a character which isn't related to wounding the character. So Invulnerability doesn't have any affect on it.

WingatePeasley

WingatePeasley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the clarification Darksbane. :)

WingatePeasley

WingatePeasley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I have another question for you guys concerning cards which have a paid trigger effect that doesn't exhaust them e.g. Hastur (TSC)

Can I still play these effects when the card is exhausted e.g. from commiting to a story?

And concerning Hastur (TSC). If that effect takes away all terror icons (I asume it is also refering to additional icons gained through attachments) can Characters/Ancient Ones which used to have terror icons (e.g. Cthulhu (TWB)) also go insane (either through terror struggle or through card effects)?

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi, I have another question for you guys concerning cards which have a paid trigger effect that doesn't exhaust them e.g. Hastur (TSC)

Can I still play these effects when the card is exhausted e.g. from commiting to a story?

And concerning Hastur (TSC). If that effect takes away all terror icons (I asume it is also refering to additional icons gained through attachments) can Characters/Ancient Ones which used to have terror icons (e.g. Cthulhu (TWB)) also go insane (either through terror struggle or through card effects)?

Hi, I will attempt to answer this. Correct me If I am wrong however.

1) Yes you can use the paid trigger effect even if the character/support is already exhausted, as long as you can afford to pay for the effect with your domains.

2) Yes, even Ancient ones can go insane apparantly if they lose all their terror icons via card effect. I questioned this once (see my previous post above), but I guess rules are rules. Remember though, only the terror icons on the character's card are affected. If the character has an attachment Support card that gives them additional terror icons (e.g. Alhazred Lamp), then the trigger effect has no impact.

Hope this is right. Remember the Golden Rule in the rulebook:

If the rules text of a card contradicts the text of this rulebook, the
rules on the card take precedence (with a few exceptions, as listed
in the rules).

WingatePeasley

WingatePeasley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, I will attempt to answer this. Correct me If I am wrong however.

1) Yes you can use the paid trigger effect even if the character/support is already exhausted, as long as you can afford to pay for the effect with your domains.

2) Yes, even Ancient ones can go insane apparantly if they lose all their terror icons via card effect. I questioned this once (see my previous post above), but I guess rules are rules. Remember though, only the terror icons on the character's card are affected. If the character has an attachment Support card that gives them additional terror icons (e.g. Alhazred Lamp), then the trigger effect has no impact.

Thanks for the help.

The idea with the attachment Support cards is interesting. But I'm not sure if this is really the case. At leat not with the Hastur card I linked above. The attachment Support cards state that a character gains those icons, thus they are probably effected like they're his own. If the Hastur card would say all printed icons, instead of just all icons, then the attachments would definitly be excluded from his effect. But with bthe qwording on the Hastur card as it is, I'm not so sure.

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks for the help.

The idea with the attachment Support cards is interesting. But I'm not sure if this is really the case. At leat not with the Hastur card I linked above. The attachment Support cards state that a character gains those icons, thus they are probably effected like they're his own. If the Hastur card would say all printed icons, instead of just all icons, then the attachments would definitly be excluded from his effect. But with bthe qwording on the Hastur card as it is, I'm not so sure.

After carefully thinking about it. I think you are right. It does say all Terror icons, so I guess it means both icons from the characters card, support cards, and other card effects.

Sometimes it depends on how you interpret the card effects. I'd would ask the others on their opinions too.

Fotonurth

Fotonurth

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Kennon just taught me this game, so I picked up the Order of the Silver Twilight Expansion, and I had a question. Can I use the Ritual of Summoning (TOotST) to get past steadfast restrictions?