Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Noob needing a bit of help

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts

Kennon just taught me this game, so I picked up the Order of the Silver Twilight Expansion, and I had a question. Can I use the Ritual of Summoning (TOotST) to get past steadfast restrictions?

Steadfast
Some cards have faction symbols in their title. These symbols are
part of the card’s cost. These new cards are know as Steadfast cards.
When a player drains a domain in order to pay the resource cost of
playing a Steadfast card, he must have at least that many resources
on the total number of domains he controls (and make a resource
match as normal).

I'm by no means an expert in CoC rules, but steadfast's restriction only applies when you drain a domain to pay the resource cost of the card. Since Ritual of Summoning is putting the card into play (and thus no domain draining to pay for it) steadfast would not apply.

Hellfury

Hellfury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Kennon just taught me this game, so I picked up the Order of the Silver Twilight Expansion, and I had a question. Can I use the Ritual of Summoning (TOotST) to get past steadfast restrictions?

Yes.

Action: Discard 5 success tokens from Ritual of Summoning to put a character into play from your hand.

A very straight forward and quite powerful card. Especially since this can be done on your opponent's turn.
Lots of possibilities with this card as it breaks a fair number of rules. (Ignore loyal and steadfast, ignore paying any cost other than removal of success tokens in order to play a character, can be done at anytime an action can be played not just during your operations phase.)

Fotonurth

Fotonurth

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Ho man.... silliness. That's a card I will be playing with for sure. Thanks for the answer!

Raohthekenoh

Raohthekenoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As Hastur does not specify printed icons, and all cards that give characters icons states "character gains [icon]" yes, it would remove all of the terror icons from support and event cards as well, making the new Hastur infinitely more useful than the old one.

as for the steadfast question. Quoting the COC rulebook.

Steadfast
Some cards have faction symbols in their title. These symbols are
part of the card’s cost. These new cards are know as Steadfast cards.
When a player drains a domain in order to pay the resource cost of
playing a Steadfast card, he must have at least that many resources
on the total number of domains he controls (and make a resource
match as normal).

Seeing as you have not drained a domain to play the steadfast card in question (you used the ritual), you do not need to meet the steadfast requirement, so you can play creatures via Ritual of Summoning that you would have no ability to play any other way (One of the interesting uses of the card). Consider using Miskatonic/Twilight Lodge with the new Tutor card that Miskatonic is getting, and play a bunch of exceedingly powerful creatures (one of each). when you have the ritual ready to go, use the tutor to search your deck for the Outer god that most hurts your opponent, and go to town. Hope this helped.

MellonHead1980

MellonHead1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi I have another question regarding the Character card: Glaaki

Response: After Glaaki commits to a story, choose a character. That character loses all icons and must commit to the same story as Glaaki, if able.

If the opponent does not have any ready characters (already committed to stories), does Glaaki still cause one of these already commited characters to lose all icons?

Also I assume that this response applies whether Glaaki is on the active player or the defending player?

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
Yes the icons would still be lost. Shouldn't matter if you are attacking or defending to activate it.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
Hmm. I'm unsure about the first answer, since it says 'if able':

(2.19) “If Able”
Certain card effects contain the text “if
able.” For these cards all normal rules
apply for choosing targets and triggering
effects, with one exception: If there is no
legal target during resolution, there is no
effect.

If it didn't say 'if able' I'd agree.
But 'if able', if I interpret it correctly, means that the effect is applied as a whole or not at all. I.e. if the chosen character cannot commit, it doesn't lose its icons. I'm not 100% sure, though.