Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Expanding CoC: first steps?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Of course they will. The only question is when. Currently it looks like it'll be in Q4 this year.

Can someone please provide a link to FFG's claim that they plan to reprint the Dreamlands APs in 60 card format?

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Can someone please provide a link to FFG's claim that they plan to reprint the Dreamlands APs in 60 card format?

This is all the info we have to my knowledge: http://www.fantasyfl...ge_upcoming.asp

You can see all the way at the bottom they are reprinting the following:

The Path to Yhanthiel
Spawn of the Sleeper
Twilight Horror

No word on anything else, or full cycle reprints. I would be surprised if they weren't 60 card format.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

This is all the info we have to my knowledge: http://www.fantasyfl...ge_upcoming.asp

You can see all the way at the bottom they are reprinting the following:

The Path to Yhanthiel
Spawn of the Sleeper
Twilight Horror

No word on anything else, or full cycle reprints. I would be surprised if they weren't 60 card format.

Thanks. Has that expected date changed over time or is that a relatively recent post?

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Having just started CoC myself, I went for the 2nd core set straight off. I also grabbed Seekers of Knowledge (mostly because I found it bonkers cheap on Amazon) I also picked up Words of Power and Into Tartarus because Master of Myth is ridiculously good as is Marcus Jamburg.

My plan of attack is going to be the pick n mix approach. The packs seem less vital as an arc compared to AGoT and I haven't really found a specific theme yet that intrigues me like Brotherhood / Measters etc that would necessitate a whole cycle at once.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Thanks. Has that expected date changed over time or is that a relatively recent post?

They have been 'in design' for quite some time actually. They claim Q3 as a release, but who knows really until they go into the printing stage. They do keep this page updated pretty well.

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
On the subject of out of print / hard to get stuff.

Which Asylum Packs are only available as the old style with individual cards as opposed to the 20x3 format so I can avoid them

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Only the Dreamlands cycle has not yet been reprinted.

cockbongo

cockbongo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
Some great advice here guys. I missed the flame earlier (probably just as well) but as an AGoT player i remember it being tough to get your hands on the first cycle of chapter packs, until they reprinted them last month. And some of those are pretty damned powerful. So i understand the frustration.

But i think the 2 core set & deluxe expansion is the way to go - I see Secrets of Arkham is already difficult to come by, but i'll persevere. I am a bit of a completionist, so I bought the AGoT packs in order and three core sets is most definitely the way to go there. I'll keep you posted, and look forward to contributing to the communtiy here.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Whad' I miss?

The cogent and measured remarks on www.cardgamedb.com are the reason I return...

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

They have been 'in design' for quite some time actually. They claim Q3 as a release, but who knows really until they go into the printing stage. They do keep this page updated pretty well.

Has that expected date changed over time or is that a relatively recent post?

they were only posted around the start of the year, so i see no reason to doubt them in anyway. AGoT got its reprints everyone has been waiting for. Besides the real clincher is the Terror in Venice expansion. As this expansion uses some of the keywords also used in the dreamlands cycle. I would be very surprised to not see a reprint soon after or even before Venice.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

As this expansion uses some of the keywords also used in the dreamlands cycle. I would be very surprised to not see a reprint soon after or even before Venice.

Excellent observation.

Still, while I get caught up in the theme and excellence of the game, one has to recognize that FFG re/prints money-makers, irrespective of my enthusiasm...
I'm not saying that they won't reprint, but they might well wait until Terror in Venice either does or does not make them $$$.

So when you buy A-Gott, Star Wars, or Netrunner ($$$-makers), make sure to tell FFG that you like Cthulhu, too. Data is king, so fight the power.

[As a side-sidenote, finding the websites for those popular games is remarkably difficult, and must be done from Google rather than your own website. Heaven help me if I didn't know what I was looking for. FFG: fire your webmaster.]

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

FFG: fire your webmaster.

I agree - less flash, more usability.

I'm also waiting for Dreamlands reprint. I hate 40 cards format, and there are some interesting cards there.

I'm also worried they have priorities other than CoC, but if they scheduled the print I guess they're gonna do it. It might be smaller print if game is not that popular, but i think there are enough ppl waiting for dreamlands cards to make economical sense, and its really nice to show support for your game, especially as LCG format doesn't have rotation and is not collectable by design.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Well, at least thEY got around to fixing their forum software. That was long overdue. Seriously, for a big company like FFG to have so slow forums. Not really how you build an active fanbase for your product.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

I'm also worried they have priorities other than CoC, but if they scheduled the print I guess they're gonna do it.

Is a reprint going to make them money? So the CoC lead developer goes to the head brass and asks for a reprint of merchandise that they didn't sell, because the folks that started their own forum to talk about a game FFG doesn't support all want to buy it (maybe 100 purchases, because we're all only buying 1x now, remember)...

I'm skeptical.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I think you are overtly negative Wilbur. CoC would have died from neglect a long time ago if it weren't for the fact that despite FFG not giving it much focus it still turns a profit. Since they are a company I highly doubt they would have released asylum packs last year if it wasn't for the fact that they generated sales. Probably not as much as they want, but if it was pure loss they would have canceled the game rather than go for the big box-plan they have now (which feels cheaper for us buyers overall). So just like I was thinking when I got into this game, it's gonna be on the backburner but still be cooking for quite a while due to all the HPL fans out there (and personally I am kind of an Eric Lang fan as well, great game maker).

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
I'm not being negative for its own sake. I'd like nothing more than for someone to reassure me that the game will be around in 5 years - I love it. But if Cthulhu were lucrative, FFG wouldn't test market strategy on it (40x > 60x format).

When FFG tries something that bombs in Cthulhu, they'll drop development, as well. And this comes from a guy who owns and plays Age of Conan.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
You are probably correct, but I think the HPL fanbase is quite strong and FFG at least has nothing on FOX (Firefly, why, dear god why....why....sob). The box thing was tried with AGoT first though, which is the biggest living card game, so if anything they move Cthulhu more towards a strategy that works well, which the box thing really does, it is so much easier to bring new people in when they can buy a box for their favorite faction. Me and some friends did this with Agot (just got the boxes) so we could have some multiplayer fun.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

I think the HPL fanbase is quite strong

http://necronomicon-providence.com/

I can't go. Sadly, my wife thinks 5.5 days for GenCon ought to be enough.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
FFG isn't even sending a representative to NecronomiCon.

But that's a good move, right? Probably no one there who might buy into the game?

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
That would be one awesome experience! I bet GenCon would be as well. Gotta get my ass to Essen one of these years, people say it's crazy.

Speaking about HPL-fans and money, this raked in quite a bit (I of course had to get the bells and whistles variant):

http://www.kickstart...60/cthulhu-wars