Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Expanding CoC: first steps?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
You could probably build reasonable mono-faction decks for those two factions as well, but you will still want a Core sometime. Besides having lots of useful cards, it's got a story deck (you have one from Secrets of Arkham too), tokens, gameboard (not strictly necessary but nice), Cthulhu statues for domain drain markers, and rulebook. Also, you'll be able to build dual faction decks including all the other factions which is pretty handy.

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Is it essential to buy a core set before I start making a deck or could I build an ok duel faction deck by mixing my two faction specific deluxe sets together with some cards from secrets?

I would hook up that if you want to play casual and just have some fun with your deck, the core set is not absolutely required for building good decks with the sets you already own ( as well Misk as Yog are able to build good playable mono decks out of their boxes - I haven't tried the mix of those 2 factions with the content of their boxes, but it might create a good deck as well...?) , but the core set really contains some of the most essential cards (IMO).
Especiall if you have the secrets of Arkham (each card 3 copies as well) you have a good card pool.
There are some cards in the core set that always find their way into my decks! (I'm sure that almost every deck, I created, contains some of the core cards!)
Check out the card spoiler function(above). Might help you to decide if you would like the core set.
Or: http://www.cardgamed...tml/_/core-set/
So if you you play CoC for a while and you note that you like the game, the core might be the next good step to increase your cardpool... ;)

Like already posted:
The board, tokens and statues are part of the core set as well ... they belong to the game and make CoC a bit different to other games, I think! :) (But are not essential for playing the game! - Guess it's a question of personal taste and passion for the game somehow... :) )

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
I am planning on getting the core set but if it's not required to build a good deck then I'll pick cards up in the order they go on sale, it seems CoC cards can usually be found on sale unlike the other LCGs.

Booored

Booored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
I am tending to agree here. If you want to be competitive you need a large card pool.. if your just screwing about with your mates. who gives a ****. No need to buy 3 copies of core for that crap. Just grab a few boxes big box expansions and go at it. The only problem is that you will need story cards. Either from Arkham or "Shifting Sands" I think it was.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
There are three sets of Story cards for the LCG. Core set, Secrets of Arkham, and Shifting Sands. If you're still hungry for more stories, you can also pick up some old starters from the CCG era and get some of those.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
Story cards seem like an easy POD product, since the backs don't have to match previous packs. And they've got all the CCG era story cards to reuse or revise.
  • Danigral, Midian and Jhaelen like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
That's a good idea, so then they wouldn't have to wait for another box to put them in, nor would the story cards "take up space" in the boxes. The only drawback is that you'd need a way to get the word out to everyone if a new set is now the current set for official tournaments, you cannot assume that everyone visits the FFG website or forums or someplace so that they would know about it.

So, I guess print a flyer to insert into the next box or something?

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts
@Mulletcheese. I have just picked up a second core set and thusly I have a spare set of story cards you could borrow until you get round to buying a core set. I will be in Stokeros this Sunday for the AGoT tournament. Let me know if you need to borrow a rulebook and the storyboard as well. If you aren't around on the Sunday I can leave them with Eddie if that's any use for you.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I am planning on getting the core set but if it's not required to build a good deck then I'll pick cards up in the order they go on sale, it seems CoC cards can usually be found on sale unlike the other LCGs.

Skelton's offer is quite nice, however it would be best to get Shifting Sands, since it has the tournament legal story set, and a lot of nice cards.

I never use the board or domain markers from the core set, and you can use just different tokens to sub in for the success and wound tokens. A core isn't necessary imo.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Skelton's offer is quite nice, however it would be best to get Shifting Sands, since it has the tournament legal story set, and a lot of nice cards.

I never use the board or domain markers from the core set, and you can use just different tokens to sub in for the success and wound tokens. A core isn't necessary imo.

Are the stories in the core set not the tournament legal version? I wasn't aware this was the case. It makes little difference to me at present but thats something I need to take into account for the future, thanks for the heads up. :)

Offer still stands anyway.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

@Mulletcheese. I have just picked up a second core set and thusly I have a spare set of story cards you could borrow until you get round to buying a core set. I will be in Stokeros this Sunday for the AGoT tournament. Let me know if you need to borrow a rulebook and the storyboard as well. If you aren't around on the Sunday I can leave them with Eddie if that's any use for you.

Sadly I won't be at the tournament and I've only been to GTG once for the aGoT regional so Eddie probably won't remember me. I will be at "winter is coming" so if you're going to be there bring a CoC deck and we may be able to squeeze a game in.

It was a nice offer but I'll get the core set soon enough, my 2nd set of secrets should arrive soon. If you want a copy of the story cards from that expansion PM me, or if you are getting the set and need an extra copy of the cards to make x3 of each I'll let you have them cheap. I'll have x4 of each card from this set.

I've ordered shifting sands to get the current story cards (8.49) from boardgameguru.
Does anyone recommend any other stores for getting cheap CoC cards?

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Are the stories in the core set not the tournament legal version? I wasn't aware this was the case. It makes little difference to me at present but thats something I need to take into account for the future, thanks for the heads up. :)

They aren't the current tournament Story set, but it's still nice to have more Stories for variety in casual play.

The Core stories were replaced by the ones in Secrets of Arkham, which were later replaced by the ones in Shifting Sands. Sometime, I'm guessing next year, a new set will come out to replace the Shifting Sands set. All of them will still be useful for casual play, but something has to be the standard set for tournaments, can't have two players showing up with different sets and both insisting that they want to use THEIR set.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Story cards seem like an easy POD product, since the backs don't have to match previous packs. And they've got all the CCG era story cards to reuse or revise.

Ooh! That's an excellent idea! Using POD they could even provide several new sets of story cards at once: One to be the next 'official' set, and other sets that are rmore experimental for casual play. I'd love that. In fact, we've at times already played with fan-created story cards at tournament side-events.
  • Midian likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
jhaelen - that sounds interesting, do you have copies of these fan-created story cards that you could post? I'd love to see what kind of ideas are in them.
  • Midian likes this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

jhaelen - that sounds interesting, do you have copies of these fan-created story cards that you could post? I'd love to see what kind of ideas are in them.

No, I don't, sorry! :(
The event took place the day after the European Championship last year. I asked the player who created the cards, but he actually isn't a member in any of the online forums.

I can tell a bit more about the event, though. First, we used an additional 'Time of Day' deck of four cards that we cycled through, one card per turn; Dawn, Noon, Dusk, and Midnight. Each counted as either Day or Night and granted a boost to two of the factions.
The story cards generally had rather strong effects, and were placed face-down, so you didn't know what it was and if you won it, you were required to trigger its effect.
The two story cards I recall best would grant you control over a powerful character that you could 'summon' to join your side. There was also one (which I hated) that removed all success tokens...

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
That sounds like it would make for some wild games, with strong effects you don't know in advance being forced to occur. I like the idea of a neutral character that joins you as a story reward, though I don't know that they should be TOO powerful.