Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cards you want to like but somehow don't quite make it

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Love me some Polar! Tom, this is a promise: if I am lucky enough to win your title away from you, my champion card will be a freaky penguin.

Tekeli-li, indeed, fools.
  • Midian likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
A card that fulfills the question in the (now receding in the distance...) original post, which is a good one, would be Itinerant Scholar (Core). I can't tell you how many decks I've tried to fit him into! As I try to tune them up, however, he never seems to make the cut. Now, if he were Polar...
  • Midian likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Harry Houdini (TC)...
I am a big Houdini fan, but man, this card just sucks. I truly want to like it, but I just can't. Maybe FFG will consider an erratum that just rewrites the whole damn card.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
The Dunwich Horror (DD)

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Mi-Go, gugs, zoogs, and anything with a blue border.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

The Dunwich Horror (DD)

So I'm not a dope for not figuring out how to make that card useful, even with Sentinel Hill (DD)?

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Yeah, it's a "Pittsburgh 9", as one might say about a certain type of woman. For me, I think my fondness for the Lovecraft story works to try to convince me that the card is better than it actually is.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Dirty secret: Tom's never read Lovecraft...

It's his secret weapon! He evaluates cards without even knowing that Joe Sargent (TOotST) is awesome! Joe Sargent must be awesome!

And don't bother giving him crap about it (he doesn't really care) or giving him an old copy of Lovecraft stories (done it).

I'm just busting his congeries of iridescent globes because he smoked me twice last night with something he built right in front of me. :angry:

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Mi-Go, gugs, zoogs, and anything with a blue border.

Ah, yes. I've tried a Mi-Go deck a couple of times but it always ends up falling short. I keep telling myself that we're getting close, we just need a couple more good Mi-Go characters and something to help keep them alive long enough to hit Mi-Go "Critical Mass", but it hasn't happened yet, at least not for me. Maybe Venice will bring us one of the missing pieces?

I'd love to see a good Gug deck someday, they're such an awesome monster. There aren't nearly enough of them though, and in particular there are no cheap Gugs. Plus, their abilities all rely on your Gugs getting slapped around. What if I'm doing OK and my guys aren't just a bunch of furry vertical-mouthed piñatas? My guys are just blank then? "If you're losing, here's a cookie" is a hard strategy to get behind, and it's not even a really good cookie for most of them. Gonna take more than that to put us back on track.

I think if there ever is going to be a decent Gug deck it's probably going to be built around Dutch Courage and a card that blanks your own Combat icons so you can make sure their abilities trigger a lot :)

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
only gug deck ive used was with the khopesh, forcing the wounds and getting a bonus card / exhaustion / wound / gug. cookies with cream if you will.

only mi-go deck i've ever got to a reasonable state was with misk mass printed icon blanking (ie Perpetual Silence (WitD) ) to make use of all the bonus icons, along with their other printed icon blanking cards Binding (Core) and Jamie Winthrop (TGS) helped along with the usual misk card drawing as well as Feed Her Young (WaB) and Book of Iod (ER) (nice with misk tome synergies). was an interesting deck as misk also has quite a few 'bonus' icons available and the Perpetual Silence was a real game winner.

card i would love to use but just can't is, and always will be, Hound of Tindalos (Core).
  • Midian likes this

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Yeah, gugs are all huge combat monsters - though totally open to insanity (except the unique one)... Not worth the trouble. Huge cookie monsters, obviously - the mouths are for scarfing 'em down.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Glimpse of the Void (SoM) was an example (once it was played without being countered) of a card that had a time-specific passive effect without a trigger- which took place even after the card was in the discard pile.

Well, I don't want to argue any further about this and of course you will definitely know this, but 'Glimpse of the Void' does not have a passive effect. Its Action is a triggered effect that has a defined duration stated in the card text. It's also an event, so like every event that has a non-instantaneous effect, its effect lasts until after the card has left play.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
I should perhaps have thought of another example, but that's what came to mind. The point was that after the window to disrupt the action was shut, nothing could turn the effect off. I wanted an event so that it was clear this would obtain despite the fact that the card was not in play.

Another example would perhaps have served better: can someone think of one?

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
What's the card where if your opponent commits to all three stories he sacrifices all committed characters? It's such a game ender and occasionally I try to work it into decks but it never seems to come off correctly

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

What's the card where if your opponent commits to all three stories he sacrifices all committed characters? It's such a game ender and occasionally I try to work it into decks but it never seems to come off correctly

Beneath the Mire (CoC). I've used it a couple times to mixed effect.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
i've found that the best way to get 'the mire' to trigger is paired with 'negotium'. its much easier to get the condition right as you've already essentially split the forces between 2 stories. under pressure, a lot of players will tend to try and go for 2 of the main stories and just default their low costs to 'negotium'. then WHAMMO !! quite thematic too i might add. down the creepy forest path and into the muck.........

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
I've always thought Beneath the Mire was a decent card. People always forget about it and triple commit constantly. One clutch play of it, and it's game over usually.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I think beneath the Mire is a fine card, seems like FFG pretty much printed it just to give rush decks a headache. Just the chance of auto-losing a game against it should have you worried if your opponent has left a 2 resource domain open, but I haven't heard about it being played a lot competitively though, however since I live in the butt end of nowhere I might be misinformed?

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
I mean the problem is to use it you have to sit with an open 2 domain and hope your opponent triple commits. If you're sure he's not going to, it's a semi-obnoxious resource, because its neutral. If you think he might, it can actually be worse than a wasted card since you'll actively hold back on playing other cards. If it comes off it's glorious, but that makes it even worse for me, since whenever I have it I end up holding on to it forever and not playing other things, so I stopped putting it in decks.
  • Danigral likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
I think the main problem with mire is that it is a neutral. Most cards that are basically counter cards to deck archetypes are faction cards so if you are not playing that deck archetype you can resource it. Now, I always feel wrong resourcing a neutral, especially in early game. That being said, my guess that even if you are not going for a win condition, this card really puts a spanner in the works for rush deck. When they have a wall of Uni Students or Scientists out in turn 2 or w/e this card can really slow them down, down to a crawl.

I mean the problem is to use it you have to sit with an open 2 domain and hope your opponent triple commits. If you're sure he's not going to, it's a semi-obnoxious resource, because its neutral. If you think he might, it can actually be worse than a wasted card since you'll actively hold back on playing other cards. If it comes off it's glorious, but that makes it even worse for me, since whenever I have it I end up holding on to it forever and not playing other things, so I stopped putting it in decks.

Yeah totally. Still i think it is for slow decks that are resource ramping and placing out blockers. While your dropping 1 cost accelerators and 2 drops for block then there is often some spare space. Also many people are used to running 1 domain free for MoM and Black Dog. If you present these early you opponent will not be as suspicious if you have a undrained domain.

Either way it is hard countered now... Rush decks should be running this little lady anyway, and that stops all shanagigans. No one is going to leave 2 domains untapped a turn, not for this OR for MoM and BlackDog and other surprise effects

Posted Image