Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cards you want to like but somehow don't quite make it

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Here are some more I want to love.. but just can not get it working...

Posted Image
This has been mentioned but i wanted to mention it again!

Posted Image
Awesome art, cool effect, WOW look at those skulls! but 4 cost, commit only in your turn... neutral so hard to accelerate? .. pffft

Posted Image
I have always just loved this card... lets face it though.. it is kinda crappy. Just the idea of the card... like in all those horror films where the hand reaches out form the camera and touched someones shoulder.. you turn around and WHAT THE ****!!!.. the terror icons are the thing scaring the hell out of you... just awesome thematic card.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I think the intent with Thing Behind You is that you've got to be getting value out of returning the character to your hand. Ignore the "5" because you'll never hard-cast him. He costs 2, has lots of Terror, Fast, and 1 skill - plus he let you return a character to hand. Unfortunately it only works on a Hastur character, and they don't have a ton of come-into-play effects, but here's a list of ones he does work with:
Aspiring Artist, Bearer of the Yellow Sign, Bloated Leng Spider, Messenger from Hali, Obscene Byakhee, Shrieking Byakhee, Swooping Byakhee, Twisted Choreographer, Victoria Glasser.

Of those, only a few are really that good though. Victoria Glasser and Bloated Leng Spider are probably the top of the list? Also, you can use him to cure insanity. Maybe play Thing Behind You to return a Lunatic such as Deranged Diva to hand so you can re-play them and use them again that turn? Effectively that would make Thing Behind You into a 2-cost insanity event that leaves a character behind as a side-effect which isn't bad.

Hastur can surely use another character or two with a decent come-into-play effect though. I think a good one for them would be something like "Choose a character, that character loses all Terror and Willpower until the end of the turn".

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Pretty sure insane Characters lose their faction, otherwise you could use Uroborus (WaB) in an infinite Temple of R'lyeh (NN) loop once conditions are met. Don't worry dboeren. We all make these little over sights that we slap our heads later at. haha. Soooo many rules to keep track of........ Otherwise you're bang on.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Ah, you are correct. You can still use it to heal wounded characters (with Toughness) or get unpleasant Support cards off of them I suppose. Anyway, the main point is that for him to be worth it you have to transform the "return a Hastur character to hand" from a negative thing into a positive thing.

Presumably this will get easier when the Hastur box arrives, with that many new characters probably SOMEONE will have a cool come-into-play effect that it would be handy to re-execute ;)

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Halflings of D'haz (SftSK):
Yes, this card I tried to intergrate into a deck...

best tries were withGhoulish Worshipper (AH) andTwilight Gate (TH)
... but I'm not really convinced by it... the point that it can just commit on my turn is reducing its value enorm IMO...

Another idea was to try it with Misguided Dreams (TWC) (or something that keeps opponents characters away from other stories or force them to commit to Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris (DD) because the halflings seem to scare opponents characters and hinder them from commiting?! ... ;)

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hands down the best way to use Halflings of D'haz (SftSK) is in a Silver Twilight/Miskatonic/Cthulhu deck. All you need is
Erasmus Manor (TBJ)
Lodge Defenses (ER)
Misguided Dreams (TWC)
Dedicated Butler (TOotST)
Atwood Science Hall (Core)

Anyway if it isn't clear yet, you get an infinite sacrifice chain going with Dedicated Butler and Lodge Defenses (which is on your Atwood Science Hall). This buffs Erasmus Manor up to INFINITY COMBAT and INFINITY INVESTIGATION and INFINITY SKILL. At this point you may grin in anticipation. Then you smack down misguided dreams and send the Halflings and Erasmus to the same story and do all of your opponents characters INFINITY WOUNDS.

INFINITY WOUNDS.

Wow. Thank me after worlds.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Hidden Agenda (CotJE)
This event seems like it could be abused somehow, but it's so expensive and loyal, and there just isn't a good mono ST deck I think.
  • badash56 likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Hidden Agenda (CotJE)
This event seems like it could be abused somehow, but it's so expensive and loyal, and there just isn't a good mono ST deck I think.

I've played around with it a little and yes, the Loyal is a big pain. Right now I think you have two options, either go mono Silver Twilight or team up with (probably) Shub as a minority faction and use them to help build a big domain. 4 out of 6 Silver Twilight would be the goal here.

What would instantly make it more viable is a Transient Silver Twilight card, otherwise just keep waiting for more card pool. Venice will help some, and maybe it will have a Transient? My biggest concern is whether ST will get a faction box like everyone else or if FFG will decide they "already have one" which would suck. If they do get one, then we'll finally have viable mono decks.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
here is another card I always look at with a twinkle in my eye...
Posted Image

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

My biggest concern is whether ST will get a faction box like everyone else or if FFG will decide they "already have one" which would suck. If they do get one, then we'll finally have viable mono decks.

Oh, I hope so. They may already have a box, but hopefully FFG realizes the Order is still behind in overall card count.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
When I'm at Gencon perhaps I'll drop a hint to Damon and Brad that we'd really really like to see a new Silver Twilight box. I'd hate for them to fall even further behind than they already are - if anything they should get *TWO* new boxes :)
  • Tragic and blinovitch like this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Maybe Premature Detonation (NN) and then Hidden Agenda (CotJE)?

EDIT: But that won't work either because you can only repeat one phase.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Maybe Premature Detonation (NN) and then Hidden Agenda (CotJE)?

EDIT: But that won't work either because you can only repeat one phase.

I don't even want to like Premature Detonation. That card is awful. I don't know what the devs were thinking.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I was never able to come up with a good use for it either. My best guess is that there was a last minute change made that turned out to fundamentally change the card and it wasn't re-tested afterward.