Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Table Flip: Episode 5 - discussion thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Bazeleel

Bazeleel

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
Episode 5's topics:

The Desolation of Hoth deck
Round one tournament results
Giveaway Announcement

If you would like to email the show you can email us at: tableflip@outlook.com

Find us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook...ableFlipPodcast

Also we are available via iTunes and can be subscribed to so all new episodes are automatically uploaded to your Apple device when available. Episodes typically have a two day delay to iTunes so are usually up by Friday of the release week.

Ketricel

Ketricel

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Giveaway Guidelines:

2x Red Five (Aurabesh) - Given away to a random person on Facebook who comments on the link to the show: https://www.facebook...ableFlipPodcast

2x Red Five (Aurabesh) - Given away to a random poster on the show notes for Episode 5 here at CardgameDB or over on the FFG website once a link is posted there (only posting on one site is required to enter)

2x Red Five (Aurabesh) - Given to whoever e-mails the show with the best way to give away a Darth Vader deck box, the shows email is tableflip@outlook.com

Everyone is eligible to enter the contest, but please have parental consent if you are under 18 to have the cards mailed to you if you win. Also you may enter each contest one time so everyone has up to three total entries to the contest. If you have any questions/comments please feel free to either post here or PM one of the shows hosts.

Rockstar819

Rockstar819

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm on the leader. Please send me the Red 5 Aurabesh!!!

MercyStreet

MercyStreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I will actually play that pod if I had this card. :)

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
That card would ensure me always playing the pod.

doctormungmung

doctormungmung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I'll at least consider playing that card if I wind up with it. But I promise nothing. ;)

Rockstar819

Rockstar819

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I already play Red 5. Consistently.

2x Hero's Journey
2x In You Must Go
2x Forgotten Heros
2x Journey to Dagobah
2x Last Minute Rescue

Beef cake deck, tons of resources make Redemption and Obi-Wan first turn wreckers, and Double Strike and Force Rejuvenation are super sneaky game winners!

But most of all Red 5 is the unit that puts fear into those DS players. Play, swing, win!

Elrathion

Elrathion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
There is no end to how much you dislike Desolation of Hoth is there? Your frozen Jedi deck counters it? HAHAHA I nearly wet my pants laughing there.
Objectivity flying right out of the window ;) While I'll agree that the original decks like Devasting Sith, etc.. are generally the no-brain-I-win, you over exaggerated so much how weak the deck is that I found it hard to keep listening tbh...

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Sweet! Can't wait to listen to the new ep, guys. Its not showing up on my podcast app's RSS feed. Any chance that'll be updated today, pretty please? :)

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Sweet! Can't wait to listen to the new ep, guys. Its not showing up on my podcast app's RSS feed. Any chance that'll be updated today, pretty please? :)

iTunes and RSS seems to have a 2 day delay or so.

Bazeleel

Bazeleel

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

There is no end to how much you dislike Desolation of Hoth is there? Your frozen Jedi deck counters it? HAHAHA I nearly wet my pants laughing there.
Objectivity flying right out of the window ;) While I'll agree that the original decks like Devasting Sith, etc.. are generally the no-brain-I-win, you over exaggerated so much how weak the deck is that I found it hard to keep listening tbh...

Well the deck it self is pretty bad. You need to get the perfect set up for the deck to ever work. Also you can not play a lot of units a turn, another big issue. Which is why I found my jedi deck to counter it. 20 games played with both of them and I have lost 4. I say its a pretty good counter.

I think its safe to say that its not a good deck when there are more people agreeing its bad then there are agreeing its a good deck.

Remember we did say its a really fun deck to play but competitively I would say far away from it. Each of us have faced the deck in the tournament so far and we have all beat it with out much issue. I beat the deck with just Han solo out for the most part in my tournament.

I will have my match with commentary up by this sunday.

Agentx710

Agentx710

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
I'm totally down for some Aurabesh cards. I used to keep a copy of the Star Wars Monopoly manual around pre-internet days because the back of the manual had the translations.
  • Toqtamish likes this

Bazeleel

Bazeleel

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

I'm totally down for some Aurabesh cards. I used to keep a copy of the Star Wars Monopoly manual around pre-internet days because the back of the manual had the translations.

Funny story actually. I found that game in a field behind my house once on a walk with my father. It was blown all over the place and it took us about 2 hours to collect and find everything. It was missing a few 500$ and I think 1 or 2 of the figures. Played the hell out of that game! Still have some of the metal figures for it too on my deck :)

karrde

karrde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Nice idea for a giveaway, but keep my name out of the entries. I already have my pair.

Elrathion

Elrathion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Well the deck it self is pretty bad. You need to get the perfect set up for the deck to ever work. Also you can not play a lot of units a turn, another big issue. Which is why I found my jedi deck to counter it. 20 games played with both of them and I have lost 4. I say its a pretty good counter.

I think its safe to say that its not a good deck when there are more people agreeing its bad then there are agreeing its a good deck.

Remember we did say its a really fun deck to play but competitively I would say far away from it. Each of us have faced the deck in the tournament so far and we have all beat it with out much issue. I beat the deck with just Han solo out for the most part in my tournament.

I will have my match with commentary up by this sunday.

Well the sample size is rather small, if you speak to a few likeminded friends who run the podcast.. Crono won a regional with the deck. I guess he must have been playing against all starters. Me and another guy in Dallas ran the same deck in a small local tourney here, our ds's where undefeated. In fact, I haven't lost a single match in octgn with my darkside desolation, out of maybe 12-15 games. Again, I'm not saying this is the best deck in the world, but a LOT of light side decks need a fair bit of luck in the draw...

If you topdeck han first turn, he has an equal chance to topdeck desolation and kill your han the next turn, just saying. Or he could draw succumb, tactic him out, and draw desolation the next turn and kill him. Also who says you are auto winning each edge battle... If you lose your edge battle and he blocks w a wampa, bye Han. The stories I heard on the podcast look more like great scenario's to me.. Turn one han, turn two 2 old ben spirits, turn 3 trust your feelings. I mean lol..

And for you to win with dail at 5, you must have topdecked insanely and he drew nada. Because.. Turn 1 he plays two units, turn two you put han, tactic one guy kill the other 2 objective damage. DAIL at 3! So in TWO turns, after that, you managed to do 12 damage vs a desolation of hoth deck, without him removing anything. All I can say is wow. And if you didnt take the force, it would'v been even more impossible.

You blame the deck because it needs the perfect setup, but you are beating the decks consistently drawing Han, I love the logic.

I'm looking forward to your commentary on your match ;)

Agentx710

Agentx710

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Funny story actually. I found that game in a field behind my house once on a walk with my father. It was blown all over the place and it took us about 2 hours to collect and find everything. It was missing a few 500$ and I think 1 or 2 of the figures. Played the hell out of that game! Still have some of the metal figures for it too on my deck :)

I loved playing it, much to my family's chagrin because only my Dad and I liked Star Wars. They never could pronounce "Coruscant" so we just called it the Star Wars Boardwalk Place.

romo

romo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Best quote of the podcast:

"Normally you don't want to play Han Solo when you are playing against a dark side deck"

Saej

Saej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I think it is important to remember how much meta plays into any deck building game. While Bazeleel may have a horrible/great time with one deck, some others may have the opposite feeling.

Truly, if we want to check a deck like an empirical study, we need a sample size of hundreds. The deck would need to be tested against many different decks many times. So find 20 different opposing decks, and test them each 10 times. So 200?

We can learn from smaller sample sizes, of course, but let's not be too hasty in arguing over if a deck is great or trash. Maybe it's in the middle? Not to mention, the person who originally designs a deck may pilot it different from someone testing it. The pilot of the deck has a lot to do with how the deck does.

I don't want to mention this game, but look at Magic. An international champion can play any deck out there better than I can. Period. You need to look at what deck is being played, what deck is opposing it, and who is playing each deck. There are a lot of variables that need to be taken into consideration, and lots of variables equal poor empirical data.

That being said, keep the podcast going, I enjoy it.
  • MercyStreet likes this

MercyStreet

MercyStreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

I think it is important to remember how much meta plays into any deck building game. While Bazeleel may have a horrible/great time with one deck, some others may have the opposite feeling.

The other thing I thing both podcasts forget about is play style. Tiny has spoken a little bit about his personal playstyle, but pretty much no-one else in SWLCG podcast land has, and I think that would be very helpful so we can put their opinions in perspective.

I'm the guy who enjoys pulling of the crazy combos and playing a deck that no-one else anticipates, so I take everything they say on both podcasts with a heavy grain of salt.

Bazeleel

Bazeleel

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
As for magic there is such a large card pool that you can almost play w/e the hell you want. This is due to how you can build your deck. With SW you have to include cards you do not want sometimes. Also the decks that are "weird" normally do not play that well. Rebel hoth decks have very little resources, as does the deso of hoth deck. The untouchables is so terrible its good (that ones for you ketricel :)) but really needs to much set up.

As tiny as said in the passed, you want to play deck that have consistency and synergy. The deso of hoth and a lot of other decks do not. This games for my frozen jedi deck or a trooper deck.

Now I am a very competitive player, I think we all can agree on this. So I will give my opinions from that perspective. So from a competitive stand point and in a tournament setting where the players are going to be pretty equal in skill (at least in the higher brackets) the deck will not function before the lightside player will take out the key units or cards first. Plus you CAN play han vs this deck and that is scary. Even yoda is safe vs this deck. Hell even your 1 HP units are safe.

My last round I lost with my lightside deck. He was playing a deck I had never seen before (build wise). He even admitted that last week it didn't work because he didn't pull resources. So he was running a sith control set up deck. Which was really neat to see work. He had...8+ units on the field. When decks like that work they are nuts but that will not be every game. Maybe 4 out of 10, 6 out of 10 if your really lucky.

So I do not like playing decks like that. If a players play style is to hope and see if he gets that perfect objective set draw and that perfect hand then fine. From my competitive stand point that is too risky.

Playstyle does have a lot to do with it but lets face it there are objectives sets that are widely agreed that they are not good and shouldn't be played. Like defense of datooine or some of the odder ones that do not fit builds yet. In my opinion those decks shouldn't not be played because they are bad and will fail most of the time and relay on your opponent not being as skilled a player. The deeper you get into the "meta" the better you have to have a understanding of what is in each set and what each card does. This way then you play those weird decks you instantly know ok these are the combos and these are the cards I need to target first.

Again guys these are my opinions and nothing more.