Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best 'Counter' Cards

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Well. We've had a topic about the best cards in the game (as we all personally feel), so ever eager to throw a spanner in the works, I thought I'd start a topic on Best 'Counter' Cards to these and several other significant cards in the current pool and popular 'strategies'. I'll start with what I think may be a very nice card to have at your disposal in these present times. That being:

Posted Image

And the reasons why are that it not only forces an opponent to pay 3 for something like Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS) or Stygian Eye (IT) (if they'd even bother - making dead cards in the hand), but you also get the opportunity to DESTROY them without having even entered play !! And that goes for any Relic that needs to 'leave play' to reshuffle. Straight to the discard as far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong). It can even do this against the dreaded Museum Curator (TWB), Marcus Jamburg (WoP) or Dark Passenger (TKatG) 'put into play' effects. YAY!! Not to mention all those nasty new Yog-Sothoth attachments and the inkling I get that somewhere, someone is working on a The Tattered Cloak (TKatG) possible draw discard deck. Heh heh heh. Although it's a wicked card used for any purpose really.

And failing all that, he's a cute little 1 cost multi-tentacled guy with a handy Arcane Icon, or to be used as sacrifice fodder. I've always liked this Character and it's seen it's fair share of deck time, and definately has my vote as a potential wrench in the cogs !!
  • Danigral, Midian, HilariousPete and 1 other like this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
An oldie but a goldie, and getting stronger with every new release. It is of course:

Posted Image

Previously a great way to counter popular cards such as Guardian Pillar (SftSK) and The Cavern of Flame (ItDoN), lately it is even handier with the rise in use of Under the Porch (THBtS) and Ice Shaft (NN), not to mention being able to hamper any The Festival (TkatG) shennanigans. You might also check out the lesser used Agency Groundskeeper (TTotT).
  • Midian likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
This is a great topic idea. :)

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Another card that has piqued my interest of late to dampen some 'expected' new deck styles is the poor lost soul:

Posted Image

Who might be a nice answer to cards such as The Festival (TkatG), Interstellar Migration (TkatG), Yithian Scout (TKatG), Nikola Tesla (TKatG) and Marcus Jamburg (WoP) just to name a few, and unlike others such as The Stone on the Peak (DD), you don't have to drain a Domain to use it !! Of course also good for cycling your own cards as well.
  • Midian and HilariousPete like this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
MORE PLEASE !!

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Great question but hard to answer. Anything that counters Nug (SoK) or other nasty character abilities like Deep One Rising (SoA) and even support card abilities such as The Cavern of Flame (ItDoN) deserves a mention in this thread I think.

So without further ado:
Posted Image

She is signaling her effect from a mile away, but that's how she does her thing and we love her for it! :P
  • arkhaminmate likes this

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
If we want to dig deeper into this issue we have to be more specific about what we want to find solutions too. Lately resource ramping and early game ancient ones have been a common plan for a lot of decks. Here is a few solutions to the problems these bloated aliens cause:

Nadine Eskiy (TKatG) works best in a rush deck and can clear the way for chumps to go at stories while the Ancient One runs after her. The fact that her "skill 4"-clause gets a number of other characters as well such as the ever popular Twilight Cannibal is an added bonus.

Posted Image

When it comes the wheeniest of whennie factions, MU, let's not forget their very own hero of random gate opening and the following Ancient One banishing. Good old Dr. Laban Shrewsbury (WaB) doesn't just get rids of Ancient Ones simply by being drawn, he also sucks other Villanous characters into strange realms when no Ancient Ones can be found and replaces himself when not needed.

Posted Image

Let's not forget the old cards just because we have a lot of new and shiny toys either. Called by Azathoth (TSotS) has been singing sweet lullabys too Ancient Ones since the earliest days of the game and still does a very good job of mitigating most problem characters.

Posted Image

Some solutions are more effective than others though. In a deck filled with 2-cost Criminals Peter Clover (SoK) can easily remove not one, not two, but three characters from seperate stories, and then come back to do the same thing on your opponents turn. All free of charge, the man is a machine-gun of evasion!

Posted Image

That's my current favorite cards for dealing (especially) with Ancient Ones and other high cost, high efficiency characters.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Posted Image

Great counter card in rushy uni decks!

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted Image

That's my current favorite cards for dealing (especially) with Ancient Ones and other high cost, high efficiency characters.

I have been down on this card... traditionally luck based effects do nto carry weight with me.. but hillarious pete has been owning my ass with this card for a while now! If you put some thought in your deck building this has a very good chance of going off and not fizzling... Really opened my eyes.. I kinda wrote it off.. but it is in fact a total bomb!
  • Midian and arkhaminmate like this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted Image

Some solutions are more effective than others though. In a deck filled with 2-cost Criminals Peter Clover (SoK) can easily remove not one, not two, but three characters from seperate stories, and then come back to do the same thing on your opponents turn. All free of charge, the man is a machine-gun of evasion!

If we are not sticking with characters.. then tons of cards open up..

Posted Image

How about this one! Great.. oh you've committed, I've committed.. you got this do you.. WELL BAM!!! hehe. Great way to remove and deal with cards you normally can't. With skill reduction it is awesome!
  • Midian and arkhaminmate like this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
I also think this guy is under rated

Posted Image
  • HilariousPete and arkhaminmate like this

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
There are of course a lot of other cards that can cause you a headache, mainly supports like The Cavern of Flame (ItDoN), last years big scare in Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS) or everyones new favorite The Festival (TkatG), which actually mitigates pure destruction by being very useful from the discard pile. So how do we deal with support without destroying them?

My new personal favorite, which scores a whopping 6 out of 5 pts by being not only and awesome card all on its own but also having the Polar subtype for a guaranteed extra point, is Frozen Time (TKatG). The fact that it blanks the text box without removing a support means that for unique cards another copy can't just be played to replace the one just lost (looking at you Festival). It also attaches to characters, conspiracies or even story cards if you need to blank something that isn't a support. Pure efficiency, enough said.

Posted Image

Another fun thing to do with powerful support cards is of course to steal them, and to do so without using a Domain is of course preferable.
Lucas Tetlow (SoK) might not be able to catalogue and claim Locations as MU property, but he sure does a good job of stopping
Infernal Obsession (TAD).

Posted Image

Agency of course has a support card stealing little thug of their own in Repo Man (TAD), and though you can't move a card such as Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS) or The Yuggoth Contract (WitD) it still helluva lot of fun controling and chosing targets.

Posted Image

That's my favorite cards for dealing with supports at the moment, probably not a very spectacular selection but still.
  • Danigral and arkhaminmate like this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Atlantis comes to mind to counter the worst of those play from discard effects.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Finally there are a lot of cards in the game that do nasty things called Triggered effects. Sometimes it's a character like Deep One Rising (SoA) that triggers its ability by coming into play, sometimes its an event card like Shocking Transformation (Core) that suddenly hits the table or even a support like Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS) creates some triggered effect that gives your opponent an unfair advantage. That, of course, can't stand! There must be some way of dealing with these triggered effects and of course there is:

If you play an Explorer and/or scientist deck, Station Eismitte (SoK) can make you immune to characters like Nodens (KD). It of course scores bonus points for both having a Polar reference and a hilarious name!

Posted Image

It's sometimes not so much about getting hit by an opponets effect, but about repaying the favor, and nothing does that quite as well as
Walk the Path (WaB). A sudden shocking transformation might not be such a great trick anymore when you get to copy it AND ignore that pesky "sacrifice a character" cost.

Posted Image

One very common trick is to have your characters enter play suddenly. Master of the Myths (IT) is a great example since he is quite hard to get rid off. Flux Stabilizer (PT) and Prepared Alienist (TKatG) both deal with that, but they are vulnerable to removal and really nets you nothing, they just stop your opponents tricks. Enter Stalking Hound (PT), the oldest solution to characters entering play through triggered effect and maybe the most efficient one. This bad hound can even come back from the discard so your opponent is never safe when dabbling with the secrets of time and proper moment of playing his characters.

Posted Image

That's how I like to deal with triggered effects at the moment. What say the rest of you?
  • Jhaelen and arkhaminmate like this

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Honorable mentions go out to the following three cards:

More of a problem than a solution really, but if you have a problem with story struggles she sure solves that:

Posted Image

I haven't found place in the three-cost spot for this bad baby yet but since it targets everything and hits more often the more expensive something is I see it as a great meta-card against AO and ramp decks, especially with our old friend the Museum Curator (TWB):

Posted Image

This is a card that if used properly seems to not only make Lunatics able to take on Terror-heavy or Willpower-fueled decks but also gives them a great tool for dealing with triggered character abilities. Suddenly Nodens (KD) doesn't clear your half of the board when he crashes the party, darn good for a guy with a cheezy porcelain mask says I! :ph34r:

Posted Image

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Excellent. Thanks guys. Go the Repo Man (TAD)!! This guy caused havoc for me at the Regionals. And kudos for Atlantis (SoK) as well ! I also have a hunch that Disrupts are going to be rather 'in vogue' this season. And seriously, who doesn't like wasting an opponent's Domain AND card !! I'd venture to sat that there probably hasn't been a tournament yet that hasn't seen the use of Performance Artist (Core) or Power Drain (Core), and I don't think there will be one in the future that doesn't have a fair splash of Lucas Tetlow (SoK), Expert Testimony (SoK), Dr. Laban Shrewsbury (WaB) and Professor of Folklore (ER). Now, with the KaG expansion, there's a whole new crop of goodies and it's getting quite hard to do anything reliably any more !! Cards such as Norman Blackwood, Sr. (TKatG), Decrepit Wizard (TKatG), Andrew-Chapman (TKatG), Temporal Slip (TKatG), Ys (TKatG), Nikola Tesla (TKatG) and Slenderman (TKatG) will all be floating around I think.

And what's your 1 stop, get your hop, solution to make sure you get to do what you want, when you want, and stop some nasty in story hi-jinks ?? It is of course:

Posted Image
  • Danigral and Jhaelen like this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
I was saving this one for after a few replies, but now here it is ! Quite possibly my favourite card in the game, and although it doesn't stop Forced Responses, there are a whole bunch of mean 'enters play' effects that you're always going to see like Nodens (KD), Museum Curator (TWB), Grasping Chthonian (IotF), Hungry Dark Young (Core), Many-angled Thing (TGS) and James Logan (WitD) (just to name a few). And ONE of the best way to counter these would have to be:

Posted Image

And not only that, it can delay the best Character your opponent plays every turn, and for your next turn as well !! Bonus.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
You stole my secret tech! :P I have put in Devil's Hopyard and Jade Salesman in my Cthulhu deck.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

You stole my secret tech! :P I have put in Devil's Hopyard and Jade Salesman in my Cthulhu deck.

Oops. Sorry dude. I actually like you so being serious there. Hee hee. I'm sure we're not the only ones, and it's gonna make people think twice now !! Frozen Time (TKatG) aint looking so good anymore is it? Now possibly a 3 COST Loyal. Just trying to shake things up a bit, and hopefully sow a little doubt into those minds planning on playing the meta decks, in what might be a vain attempt to make the tournaments a more interesting place to be. Of course it would suck if everyone turned up playing Cthulhu now too - haha. So might have to start working on an anti-anti-meta deck..........

But I like your style, would be interested to share notes, and great to see people are thinking about this kind of approach. Viva la anti-meta revolution !!
  • Danigral likes this

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Just a quick question about lookout: why does his Response trigger before the response of the character he is trying to blank?