Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best 'Counter' Cards

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
MORE PLEASE !!!

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
And for those that didn't know, there is also the unofficial "International Johnny Award for Excellence and Innovation in Deck Building" this year, for any deck that wins a National and gets the nod (wouldn't be hard to do - just hard to win with). Some pointers would be non-meta or 'power' card play (including any in Venice if released and legal), non-mono Misk or Yog (of predictable design), non-ridiculous game ending combo loop, dual human Factions would be bonus points (mind you, even reaching the top 4 with a REALLY nice idea would probably qualify you). And the Prize ??

Posted Image

My 2012 Nationals Playmat, posted direct to you, anywhere in the world !!

Employees and family members of the governing body not applicable for entry.

EDIT: previous link for WITH ALL DUE FORCE deck - http://www.cardgamed...-all-due-force/
  • Midian likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Hard counter for rush and works well in most decks.. stops a ton of shenanigans. No one is going to leave 2 domains untapped a turn so they can cast tricks in your story phase. Even if they do only drain a single domain in their phase you can drain 1 in defense and then another next turn, not that you would as I would say leaving 2 domains untapped when she is out is a huge signal that you are saving for something. Though that could be a fake out. I think she was designed for MoM and BlackDog but it stops all manner of ticks.. you can not cast with no domains.

I'm so scared of this card that I think Eldritch Nexus (Core) might be needed in decks you traditionally do not want a 1 domain ramp. Of course any DD or Mind Control and she is toast .. still.. I think she is pretty awesome card!

Posted Image
  • arkhaminmate likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted Image

Posted Image

how do these work together? We should start a new thread for combos... I think there is another card I can not remember that can also get this effect.. but if i am reading this right you can completely shut down a decks ability to commit to stories with this combo.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
How does that do anything?

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I mean doesn't both cards do the same thing, forcing multiple characters to commit?

The new card might be Will of Azathoth?

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

How does that do anything?

Well Binding Worm (TPtY) means no one can commit more than 1 character to any story. While Elder Chasm (TKatG) makes it so your opponents have to commit more than one character to attached story.

So the net result is that they can not commit at all, as the cards in tandem stop them committing in anyway. As they can nto commit alone OR with others.. while you are free to commit with more than 1 to the same story.

I'm reading this right aren't I?

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
no wait! I am reading that wrong.... stupid dyslexia! ha! I knew something was wrong. I read it like a million times and it read right to me but in the back of my head I could feel it wasn't correct. Hence asking.. Um.. I think this combo exists though... hang on have to look though the card pool.

--== EDIT ==--

Posted Image

Ahh it is - Arkham Inmate (SoM) I mean not Elder Chasm (TKatG)

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Hee hee hee Tragic. Stop getting up so early to play the europeans on Lackey. And btw. Thats what I said (aka Arkham Inmate). haha. Nice to see you spotted Elder Chasm too !! (don't forget it's unique though).

Aliki Rocks, and is one of my Fave cards. She does wonders combined with other cards like Seeker of the Profane (CoC) and Sweet Old Lady (TOotST).

(HINT - Aliki Zoni Uperetria (SoK), Sweet Old Lady (TOotST), Doppelganger (TWB)).

Keep em coming !!

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Don't ya just hate the 'one card wonders' people use like Nodens (KD) and Nyarlathotep (JtUK), not to mention getting stung by Descendant of Eibon (TTotT) or Aliki Zoni Uperetria (SoK) (hee hee). A solution I've been lauding for a long time would have to be:

Posted Image

Also hurts those decks using The Red-Gloved Man (WitD) to fish for Combing the Archives (LR) !!
  • Midian likes this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Or to lesser effect:

Posted Image

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
I always like "countering" cards before it even becomes a threat, which is why I probably overvalue cards like Umr at-Tawil (SoK) and Eltdown Shards (WoP).
Posted ImagePosted Image

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
Above are certainly good cards.
First is filter/mill that can be used to make your hand better, or opponents worse, and fill the discard pile with cards you want there.

Shards both give you draw advantage and discard most powerful opponents cards.
Being an attachment can be a problem. I think CoC could use MtG Equipping mechanics. Destroying attachments when character is destroyed/goes insane makes them extremely vulnerable :(. Especially in lo cost weak character deck when they are expandable.
Or at least make Attachments with reattach in disrupt timing.

Such attachments would probably be weaker/more expensive. But with current amount of ways to get rid of character wearing attachment they can be a real burden.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
what acceleration tricks would you use to get that 5 cost out early?

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

what acceleration tricks would you use to get that 5 cost out early?

In-faction, Twilight Gate (TH). When you pop it, usually for some benefit on it's own (like pop out a Many-angled Thing (TGS) and then defend something else), you put the resource back onto another, bigger domain. Just make sure you don't throw your intended Twilight Gate target down onto your largest domain.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Yeah, I tend to ignore twilight gate as I do nto have the dreamslads cycle. Fanatic, Gaurdian Twilight, Caverns, Ant-Lion, Predator, oh and lets not forget Dream Dagger and Nyalothatep... just some of the cards that are beyond my reach. I had the chance to buy the 3x copies once years ago at the store, but stupidly assumed that the reprint n was coming. I've got the new ones pre-ordered already as I refuse to miss this print run!

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Yeah, I tend to ignore twilight gate as I do nto have the dreamslads cycle. Fanatic, Gaurdian Twilight, Caverns, Ant-Lion, Predator, oh and lets not forget Dream Dagger and Nyalothatep... just some of the cards that are beyond my reach. I had the chance to buy the 3x copies once years ago at the store, but stupidly assumed that the reprint n was coming. I've got the new ones pre-ordered already as I refuse to miss this print run!

Yeah, I've heard all that before. Twilight Gate I get, because it's in Twilight Horror (though I picked up one of those for under ten dollars (US) three weeks ago and am waiting on another, again for under ten dollars, which I have yet to receive). Even they're out there, if you look.

But some of the stuff you are talking about just isn't that hard to find. In Dread of Night, for instance, looks like it's on sale in Australia (you're from Australia, right?) from some place called Blue Dragon Games. That'll net you 1x Cavern (great card), 3x Dreamlands Fanatic (great card), and 3x Ghoulish Predator (decent bookmark if you need one). If you tell me that company's a turd, well, ok, but Amazon has one for $30 (US) - it's a rip off, but don't tell me they can't be had. I don't know man, that took a few minutes. If some people spent half as much time solving their problems as they do publicizing them (and I don't mean you alone, Tragic, as you certainly weren't being confrontational), maybe we would have somewhat fewer banana/monkey-related rants on here.

And if you think that Dream Dagger and Ant-Lion are breaking the game, well... they ain't.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Earlier this year I was able to track down 3x copies of every Dreamlands pack here in the US. It took some work, and I had to call a number of stores by phone who didn't have reliable web inventory. A lot of leads ended up dry on the first two packs, but eventually I got them all and I didn't have to pay extortionist prices on any of them either. Full retail plus shipping yes, but not crazy stuff. I did include some Canada stores in my search but I don't think I ended up using any of them.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
The point I was making isn't that you "can't" get them..it was that I do not have them, so I often forget about them during deck building. There are so many games, I myself play 3 LCG and another 4 card games that have continual updates and pack releases, and this doesn't include my boardgame and wargame collecting. I just can not be bothered hunting down and paying high costs for the cards when there are so many other awesome cards just sitting on the self for me to grab!

And if you think that Dream Dagger and Ant-Lion are breaking the game, well... they ain't.

Never said they were, only that I like them and wish I could play them.

I only mentioned those to in a separate line as I played a dreamlands dagger turn one in lackey vs a mate of mine and crushed and Ant-Lion was a key card in the Au 2012 nationals winner... it was mainly a nod to my online play mates and other Au players.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
You asked a question about acceleration and proceded into a list of Ant-Lions and Dream Daggers. I'm sure I'm not the only one to hear a familiar whiff of self-pity in this. If you don't want to buy the cards, don't- but leave it at that. If I solicit and receive some advice about trapping monkeys, it's not really fair for me to gripe about the import cost of bananas.