Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Fun" Deck suggestion?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Gentlemen, due to some last minute adjustments to my GenCon plans, I am going to make the COC Nationals after all. However I've done almost no play-testing post FAQ because I thought I was not going to make the event. Could someone recommend something "fun" to play? There's no way I win without some actual efforts, but a "fun" deck will at least make the 3-4 rounds interesting.

Sorry for the random post.
Hope to meet some of you at GenCon.
  • redmask likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Great, another player is always welcome...

Well, what are some of your favorite factions and what kind of collection do you have to build from?

Usually when I think of a "fun" deck I go for something themed, with a couple of favorites being Cultist decks with Yog + whatever (often Hastur for me) and mono-Syndicate. Win or lose, mobsters are always a good time and you can enjoy pulling off your tricks even if they don't lead to a win. Both of these should be pretty untouched by the FAQ updates too.

Or, just pull out any one of your older decks that you like, give it a quick refresh, and go with that.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Yithians from the Key and the Gate is a fun theme, but not terribly efficient in all honesty, that turn one mill was not really competitive to begin with, but lots of fun can be had with discard pile tricks and cards such as Tesla. Season to taste. Explorers from Seekers of Knowledge is also fun when it goes of, easy to stop and without Ultima Thule in your opening hand it is less than stellar, but with access to the latest fad in Alternative Historian you can always make a game of it and as above, season to taste, throw in a small splash of whatever you like.

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I love playing Miskatonic University. Thematically it makes me feel very warm and squishy.
I was playing a MU/Hastur pile of goodies, but that deck got destroyed by the FAQ.

Thoughts? Is there a MU/x build that has some fun cards? If not, I may just put the "Explorer" deck together from the Seekers of Knowledge box. Damian showed me a proxy version of the in-box deck last year, and I had such fun getting rolled by the as-yet-to-be-seen cards, that I may just play it because of feels.

Maybe I'll just throw something together with Albino Penguin. Because, you know . . . penguins . . .
  • Danigral and Midian like this

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
I made an MU/Yog TiTG deck that was centered around playing really big MU characters. MU has all these pretty cool 4 or 5 cost fellows who very rarely see action but are pretty exciting--Vaage Randers and Sam Campbell jump to mind. Anyway it'll probably be a little bit awkward now that you can't have Museum Curator and TiTG in the same deck (thanks Hastur), but the power of the mulligan is great.
  • HomerJ likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Syndicate skill reduction with the prophecy, Hack Journalist, and some of the big synd dudes, as well as Eldritch Nexus, Ice Shaft and Jamburg. I've always wanted to make it work, but it seems really fun to me.
  • HomerJ likes this

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I will always vote for the penguin, nuff said, just do it.
  • HappyDD and HomerJ like this

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I'm sure there's a 3-color MU/Hastur/Yog build in there somewhere. Let's see what I can do in the next 2 days . . .!

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
if you like Miskatonic and have the card pool, i always have heaps of fun playing my Miskatonic Miskatonic Rah Rah Rah!! deck from the decks submitted section. seeing a bunch of students beat the poo out of AO decks is a riot (if you manage it) - just switch Dean of Admissions for Laban Shrewsbury. any deck that has Norm Grzbowski in it is always going to be a laugh when he manages to trigger.

or you could try building a deck with MU based around the rush but including an off faction of Cthulhu and a wierd idea i had just last night when mucking around with prophecies. that being using cards like:

Khopesh of the Abyss (TSS)
Feeding Frenzy (TC)

to trigger (with casualties on both sides):

A Voros Hal'l Jon (SoK)

which then allows you to search your deck and PUT STRAIGHT INTO PLAY cards like:

Dreamlands Fanatic (ItDoN)
Matthew Alexander (SoK)

or after this trick has been exhausted, just the next Khopesh and a suitably tough wielder like Campus Security Guard (SoK).

College Prospect (SoK) is a great initial wielder for the Khopesh / Voros combo, cause then you get a: Pay 0 (Prospect) Pay 1 (Voros) and Pay 2 (Khopesh) to wound 2 opponents, draw 2 cards, and put 2 Dreamlands Fanatics (or Matthew) into play from anywhere in your deck (not to mention any already in the hand). well. works in theory. haha.

dunno how practical it is and haven't playtested it (or even finished building), but the idea COULD be pretty neat........
  • Zephyr, HomerJ and GrahamM like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
If you do the MU + Khopesh thing, don't forget Sports Scholarship (SoK) to beef up your Students.

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I love playing Miskatonic University. Thematically it makes me feel very warm and squishy.
I was playing a MU/Hastur pile of goodies, but that deck got destroyed by the FAQ.

Thoughts? Is there a MU/x build that has some fun cards? If not, I may just put the "Explorer" deck together from the Seekers of Knowledge box. [...]

Perhaps you might likeChanging the Names (TPtY) in your Explorer deck?! ...
I tried it as the "fun-element" in an explorer deck ... sometimes, if it comes up at the right moment, it is diabolic fun to play it :D
  • HomerJ likes this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
too true orso. and quite a nice 'answer' of sorts for Negotium i've found. get 5 on it and 1 on another and you've won yourself a story !! i do wonder why Julia Brown's name is on the manila folder though..........

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Changing the Names is an auto include in this meta I think. So many people rely on Negotium to stop the swarm and it's a nice 'oops I won' card. For a while, I was even playing my own Negotium WITH Changing the Names to sneak a win. I've won several games in the past by playing a seemingly useless Negotium, sending my explorers and watching my opponent not defend, since they don't think it matters, and then push the success across. I've done it with A Conspiracy of Scholars too, but it's less likely to get the 'no defend' response. I also had a bad Polar deck with Realm of Ice and Death.

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

I also had a bad Polar deck with Realm of Ice and Death.

Realm of Ice and Death fascinates me, having just read The Terror -- even though it's about the opposite polar region -- but I cannot fathom how it's really useful.
  • HomerJ likes this

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I did say "bad" . . .
However, what I was doing was swarming MU/Yog stuff, and then reusing cards like "Calling the Williwaw" to control the game or "Whiteout" to make Ancient Ones useless in a story. Realm of Ice and Death reminds me of Isocron Scepter from Magic the Gathering.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
Build a deck around norm grzbowski (the coach), if you have 11 characters committed to a story and your opponent does not you immediately win that story. Mix in some shub to bring a mass of characters into play at the same time for a ghoulish football team.
  • HomerJ likes this