Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

the unrevealed BoH pods..

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
wow, that navy set is really sweet, and the Sith one really opens up some new tactics.

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
I really wish this was useable at GenCon. I feel like it would really flesh out 2 more decks for the meta.

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

I really wish this was useable at GenCon. I feel like it would really flesh out 2 more decks for the meta.

It would have given the Navy a top tier deck. It would have made the Sith a little stronger. The Rebels would have a viable speeder deck. The meta would have been a lot more wide open than what it is. I still think Smuggler decks would be the best LS option though.
  • AntaresCD likes this

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
those were pretty much my thoughts exactly TGO.

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

This.

I thought thats where people were going with this..but I don't play mono sith so that was never a problem.

Agree with the big trooper though. Him + snow vanguard..ouch!

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
Yea. It's a shame that winning decks will obviously be S&S variants and some version of Sith Control. Oh well. Maybe FFG will "get it" someday.

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
At least the game is still fun.
  • superradjoe and AntaresCD like this

pojomtg

pojomtg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Yea. It's a shame that winning decks will obviously be S&S variants and some version of Sith Control. Oh well. Maybe FFG will "get it" someday.

I don't think it's about 'getting it.' This set was originally supposed to release in July alongside EoD. The delay pushed it too close to Gencon, which meant they had to ban it from nationals (I assume because the masses might have difficulty getting their hands on it). I think if this set had released with EoD and been viable for Gencon, it would have been a much more interesting event. Like others have said, Nationals will be Sith/Scum and S&S, no doubt.

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

I don't think it's about 'getting it.' This set was originally supposed to release in July alongside EoD. The delay pushed it too close to Gencon, which meant they had to ban it from nationals (I assume because the masses might have difficulty getting their hands on it). I think if this set had released with EoD and been viable for Gencon, it would have been a much more interesting event. Like others have said, Nationals will be Sith/Scum and S&S, no doubt.

I just don't think FFG is doing a great job at keeping the balance shifted in this game.

Keep in mind, for a game this old, one of the CORE factions of the game (scum) hasn't been playable until now (and even at this point I'm skeptical of a deck winning with 6x scum objectives) and most people think that Navy can't keep up with Smugglers/ Rebels have been inconsistent all year.

I love the game, but think FFG is doing a poor job overall considering their high caliber status as a gaming company.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

I just don't think FFG is doing a great job at keeping the balance shifted in this game.

Keep in mind, for a game this old, one of the CORE factions of the game (scum) hasn't been playable until now (and even at this point I'm skeptical of a deck winning with 6x scum objectives) and most people think that Navy can't keep up with Smugglers/ Rebels have been inconsistent all year.

I love the game, but think FFG is doing a poor job overall considering their high caliber status as a gaming company.

frankly, that is kind of what you get with LCG's as opposed to CCG's. since we are only getting a single set per affiliation per force pack, with at least 1 faction getting none per force pack, you can't really expect the game to be perfectly balanced every single month. I think a better indicator would be to wait until an entire cycle has finished. Then look at the 6 affiliations to see if FFG is doing a good job of balancing them. I think things will look quite a bit different after BoH and EfH are both out and have had a few weeks of testing.

Having said that, i don't think we're going to see scum all of a sudden shoot up as a top tier deck with a single set yet to come out in EfH, but i think thats more of an issue with the capture mechanic and lack of strong units, chuds or otherwise.

I do think that navy will be quite formidable, as will sith, and we know smugglers are already VERY good, probably the best faction atm, and jedi are still quite good. rebels are about to get a HUGE boost with BOH and likely more in EfH as well, so i fully expect to see them gaining ground pretty rapidly.
  • AntaresCD likes this

Ilzhahkha

Ilzhahkha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

It would have given the Navy a top tier deck. It would have made the Sith a little stronger. The Rebels would have a viable speeder deck. The meta would have been a lot more wide open than what it is. I still think Smuggler decks would be the best LS option though.

This is good for the DS meta, to me it says that you should stay away from Hoth objectives as LS since both Vader's Fist and the AT-AT's are really strong if you run Hoth stuff.

fgerken

fgerken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Here is the complete Force Pack as text spoiler: http://deckbauer.tel...4&productid=101
  • Toqtamish and hundreds like this

Magni

Magni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
Not only that but it gives sith a little more objective destruction. the big guy is a falcon/chewy killer Ill prolly splash it into a navy trooper build

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Smugglers wasn't technically playable as it's own either until EoD. That was kind of the point of EoD. I don't think FFG is doing a poor job at all and I don't know why you say that. This game is amazing and I think FFG is doing a fantastic job. They are by far my favorite gaming company.
  • AntaresCD likes this

Bazeleel

Bazeleel

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1332 posts

Your joking right? Smugglers has not been playable as a mono faction till EoD. Even then their mono faction decks are at time very gimiky. The sprint deck is stupid and just not a good deck. If you do not see sector your pretty screwed.

Scum is very playable right now. I think most players issue that feel they are not is this:

A: Your mind is set that the game HAS to be imbalanced, therefore there is way for you to every win games.

That is the issue with a lot of players I have seen. They are dead set on trying to run a mono faction scum deck. Where it can work, scum is simply better with double faction. I think people need to get over this fact. Not every faction is going to be able to run solo. Hell smugglers are still BETTER with double factions. Same with sith, navy, and jedi.

So looking at it...each faction is better with another faction. There really is no 1 faction that has a consistent deck that can win mono. Smugglers at times yes but that is still to gimiky. Same with scum decks you need that perfect objective combo to really punch them hard.

J3bStu4rt

J3bStu4rt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
does this whole debate whether scum is playable or not show us how far ranged the game has become in only half a year.
I think FFG is on the right track. they could do it better, but also a lot worse!
after the next cycle if one faction is still below all others they need to reconsider the power level.
  • Magni likes this

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
I would say that 5 out of 6 factions being playable is a good job.
  • Magni likes this

Teokrata

Teokrata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
many thanks !!!
superradjoe

I love agressive pods

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
I don't think the debate/problem is that 1 or 2 factions are underpowered, I think it's just the 2 factions are way overpowered. Furthermore I don't even know that its just the 2 factions, but moreso specific pods. I would not be heartbroken if I didn't see Vader, Palp, Han, or Falcon for another 2 months. The problem stems partly from how free the deckbuilding is. Han can be welcome in 95% or LS decks, and Falcon in 70%+. Vader and Palp don't fit everywhere quite as well on the DS, but its "ok" because you can splash the other good pods into Sith (Tattoine Crash, Devastators pod, Etc.). I feel like minor changes to the pods could make options explode, but right now those 4 pods are so powerful and so easy to get into your deck that its hard to justify not playing them (in a competitive environment).

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
I like pods like the Blockade Runner's because it is powerful in a specific deck and good, though not as powerful, in many other decks. Same with Devastator, Jawas, all the speeder, and pretty much any other pods that make up the "tier 1.5" decks. Heck, even powerful pods like Landon are a little mitigated my being affiliation restrictioned or limited. Just those few power pods...