Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[LotR Deck] Denethor's Secret Road

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
Total Cards (50)

Hero (3)
Denethor (Core) x1
Eowyn (Core) x1
Bilbo Baggins (THFG) x1

Ally (18)
Beorn (Core) x2
Gleowine (Core) x3
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x3
Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) x2
Mirkwood Runner (RtM) x2
Rivendell Minstrel (THFG) x3
Gandalf (Core) x3

Attachment (19)
Celebrian's Stone (Core) x3
Steward of Gondor (Core) x3
Ancient Mathom (AJtR) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x3
Forest Snare (Core) x2
Protector of Lorien (Core) x2
Song of Kings (THFG) x3

Event (13)
Sneak Attack (Core) x3
A Test of Will (Core) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x3
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x3
Will of the West (Core) x1

Deck Strategy: This is a brute force key deck for Return to Mirkwood using the Mirkwood Cycle cards only.

Return to Mirkwood is often thought of as one of the hardest Mirkwood Cycle quests for solo players and is still a challenge to this day. This deck I feel has a better than average chance of beating it, and while it dose not have a fantastic win ratio, you should definatly win more than you loose, anyway it is as good as I was able to get. This is only using Mirkwood Core cards, so Core Set to the end of the Mirkwood cycle.

This was the hardest deck for me to make so far, I went though 20 different designs and tried all spheres, but the speed of the 4 threat per turn requires spirit for questing and spirit for threat reduction. The speed also requires that you get these cards early, witch pretty much dictates Bilbo and finally this quest has some of the largest threats seen at the time of printing, so the obvious choice is Denethor.

I've been getting some flask for favouring draw decks, and I guess it is true, though I would be keen to see your solutions for Return to Mirkwood using this pool.

Strategy is simple... ALWAYS scry with Denethor before questing. Any monsters apart form the sniper should be sent to the bottom of the deck. You ideally want to only ever see locations. Your opening hand priority for muligan is a Unexpected Courage. This is key. The sooner this is on Denethor the more encounter deck control you have, leaving Gleowine and Bilbo to draw other keys cards; Steward, Song of Kings, Rivendale Minstrel, Sneak Attack, Gandalf and of course Galadhrim's Greeting and tombs. Remember your threat goes up 4 a turn, so keep an eye on your resources for casting greeting, but the priority is the Unexpected Courage on Denethor, as long as threat bounce will not loose the game. Steward goes on Eowyn, and if possible get a song on her as well as one of the Lore heroes. This will help on the final turn for mass threat reduction.

If all goes wrong there are a few panic cards. If and some monsters get out on the table there is Mirkwood Runner, Snare, Beorn (Sneak Attack), also there is 1 Test of Will for shuffling the discard pile, use tomb if you need this and it is in the discard. Do not cast these unless you have to, this quest is all about efficiency. Most of the time they will be used as discard for questing.

Not the most creative deck, a fast draw encounter control.. still fun to beat this quest.. sorta. The problem is that this quest requires all monsters to be dead to be able to be completed. Spirit and Lore have few options for combat at this stage so this is a problem. Put simply this deck has NO answer for some of the more serious cards. The 1st 2 draws are critical and tense. If the 1A effect draws a monster, or if your first quest (after Denathor scry remember) pulls a monster, it could be game over very fast. I tried a number of versions with Mirkrunnsers, eagels and the like but the best and more reliable solution seamed to be ignore it and just use Denethor to clear the path for us so we never encounter them.

Have Fun and ROLL HIGH
--Tragic

PS - This deck is slightly modified from the one used in the video.

Click here to view the deck
  • horton84 and InstasamkaFup like this

ChizelMonkee

ChizelMonkee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Great deck. Thanks for all the great work. 

• kayla21 and InstasamkaFup like this

kayla21

kayla21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thats a great card you can used that since it has gandalf the white wizard/gray wizard.

• InstasamkaFup likes this