Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Astra Militarum Faction Preview

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

They are looking really strong. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Oh, you mean Imperial Guard.  Is GW going to rename all the factions to make them more confusing?  Before opening the thread I thought this was a reboot of the Space Marines thread to conform to their new name.  I really can't wait until they finish all the factions and do Fantasy as well so instead of playing Dwarves I can have Stuntus Longbeardium as my faction.

Anyway...  They look cool so far, and the tokens seem to give them added durability.

Personally, my way of looking at faction play styles is that you have to look at not just THEIR playstyle, but the playstyle of their two neighbors because you're likely going to be drawing cards from those two as well.

So Imperial Guard have their own swarm hard to dig out stuff, and then can opt to have either Space Marine or Orc play styles blended in and you want to take this into account when choosing them.  It looks to me like there's some synergy between Guard/Orc in the sense of "If you hit my Guard he turns into a new token unit, if you hit my Orc he gets angry" so that your opponent has to be careful about what he attacks.

• HappyDD likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Space Marines don't have a new name, they've always been the Adeptus Astartes. 

HappyDD

HappyDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Stuntus Longbearium

BAH HA HA HA! Gold!

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

The guard are looking great. They're loyal, too. I like Ranged. I am really enjoying these previews as they let us start thinking about dual faction uses for cards.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

I have to say most of my doubt about this game are faded. I still need to play it and most importantly it needs to catch among my friends. Though most of my initial worries have evaporated or proved unfounded.

Very excited for this one. Each preview is more encouraging. Even if FFG had never understood that there are no good guys in 40K and the imperium :P

Stuntus Longbeardium

haha.. now there is a podcast / blog / article name :)

• Toqtamish and orrf like this

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Oh, you mean Imperial Guard.  Is GW going to rename all the factions to make them more confusing?  Before opening the thread I thought this was a reboot of the Space Marines thread to conform to their new name.  I really can't wait until they finish all the factions and do Fantasy as well so instead of playing Dwarves I can have Stuntus Longbeardium as my faction.

Anyway...  They look cool so far, and the tokens seem to give them added durability.

Personally, my way of looking at faction play styles is that you have to look at not just THEIR playstyle, but the playstyle of their two neighbors because you're likely going to be drawing cards from those two as well.

So Imperial Guard have their own swarm hard to dig out stuff, and then can opt to have either Space Marine or Orc play styles blended in and you want to take this into account when choosing them.  It looks to me like there's some synergy between Guard/Orc in the sense of "If you hit my Guard he turns into a new token unit, if you hit my Orc he gets angry" so that your opponent has to be careful about what he attacks.

To this moment, card loyalty makes the game less flexible than I initially thought. From the 4 released Ork cards, none can be included in a non-ork deck, from the Imperial Guard, just 2 of 11 can be included in other faction decks; 2 of 6 Chaos cards and 5 of 12 Space Marines cards. It could be for balance reasons, but I start thinking that most of the alliable cards won't be very complex or allowing acrobatic comboes.

Also, Stuntus Longbeardium wins the thread.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

It may just be that some of the most interesting cards are the loyal ones?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I think the loyal mechanic is a good thing as it can help to prevent certain card combinations that could be too powerful otherwise. Plus still plenty of other cards per faction. The number per faction was around 27 I believe in the thread that did the math.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

All I know is that I can play Eager Recruit with these guys, which seems good... so far.

Nate

Nate

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 493 posts

All I know is that I can play Eager Recruit with these guys, which seems good... so far.

**** yeah eager recruit!

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I say we make a pact, if one of us wins the Conquest tournament they have to make Stuntus Longbeardium their champion card!

• HappyDD, Asukarulez and Ironswimsuit like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
No way I am making Lazy Recruit.
  • Nate and Ironswimsuit like this

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

No way I am making Lazy Recruit.

2 cost, 0 attack, 0 command, 1 shield icon, 6 hp.  comes into play exhausted, Ranged.

orrf

orrf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I have to say most of my doubt about this game are faded. I still need to play it and most importantly it needs to catch among my friends. Though most of my initial worries have evaporated or proved unfounded.

Very excited for this one. Each preview is more encouraging. Even if FFG had never understood that there are no good guys in 40K and the imperium :P

Hear hear!

I admit i was really underwhelmed when the game was announced. I think i found it lacking against D:R wich seemed pretty awesome. And the first articels about Conquest didn't really help, kind of all over the place....

But i must say, i'm completely turned around on this one, Sounds like a really fun game :)

I think the simplicity of the rules, the artwork and the well known ip will be what gets me to take this over D:R. Not that Doomtown sounds like a bad game, not at all, but seeing drivethroughrewievs video review i'm just realizing that explaining the game to a non-ccg gamer, with all the movement and lingo, will be a uphill battle.

Conquest on the other hand i dont think will be a problem at all :)

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I like this preview a lot: it really makes the Guard feel distinct from the Marines. They're getting pretty close to the proper feel of the factions so far, I think.

I was wondering how they were going to represent that the Guard is a force of attrition rather than surprise, and I think that the rules presented on these cards work very well. I like the way that the Space Marines can have a single unit punching well above weight in heroic fashion, whereas the Guard can say "more where they came from!" and keep feeding bodies to the meatgrinder of attrition warfare.

Looking forward to see how they capture the feel of the other factions.

• MotoBuzzsawMF, DarkBlue and orrf like this