Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Non-Euclidically Comprehensive Call of Cthulhu New Player Thread

- - - - - WWDrakey New player Call of Cthulhu

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

A couple of questions from a new player, related to the Forgotten Lore cycle:

1. Am I right that there aren't any Silver Twilight cards in the FL packs? This lists that cycle as having them, but the card search doesn't turn up any.

2. What actually is the order of the cycles? CGDB treats Summons of the Deep as the first cycle and Forgotten Lore as the fifth, but other sites (both FFG's product pages and BGG) list Forgotten Lore as the first. 

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

1. Correct, Forgotten Lore doesn't have any Silver Twilight Cards.

2. The Forgotten Lore cycle is actually a reprint of the very first Asylum Packs that have been released. Originally, the first four were still for the CoC CCG, and the last two for the LCG. The latter even preceded the CoC LCG Core set! So, both sources are somewhat right.

• alpha5099 likes this

WWDrakey

WWDrakey

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 745 posts

Quickly updated the FAQ with:

• Link to the newest Pacta Arcana
  • The details on Forgotten Lore and Silver Twilight (which I knew, but somehow overlooked)
  • The current status of Deluxes

Let me know if there's something else that needs updating.

• Jhaelen likes this

StalkerB

StalkerB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

WWDrakey most of the links in the post no longer work or don't redirect properly. Could do with being amended.

alpha5099

alpha5099

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Out of boredom (and to help learn some cards and the acronyms for asylum packs), I went through the Top 10 lists linked here, and reorganized them by asylum pack. This was helpful for me--as someone getting into the game and will likely mainly be buying deluxe expansions--to see where worthwhile cards were in which packs.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

The list is all the asylum pack cards listed in the opening post of each of the Top 10 threads, including the honorable mentions. Any cards from the core or deluxe expansions weren't included. I also included Endless Interrogation and Magah Bird, which I know both used to be banned; I figured they'd likely warrant at least an honorable mention now that they're unbanned.

Interestingly, a huge number of packs (23) have two cards that made these various lists. Only five packs have no cards featured in the Top 10 lists, and 8 packs have only one. Packs with more than two cards are also uncommon: four packs have 3 cards, two (The Spoken Covenant and Curse of the Jade Emperor) have 4, and Words of Power has a fairly astonishing 7 entries on these Top 10 lists.

• Jhaelen, oggeymoggel and alexbobspoons like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WWDrakey, New player, Call of Cthulhu