Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing against Cthulhu with a Syndicate deck

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Martin's ability means only cards with the same cost as the revealed card cannot commit to the same story, right? So even if I do reveal a 2 cost card that doesn't stop his 3+ cost cards from committing does it? So he's mainly for early game before the bigger cards come out?

skureppe

skureppe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
yes.yes.yes.
if Black Dog can block him,then he seems not that good in your deck.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Gotcha! With my rush deck I'm supposed to be wrapping things up early anyway!

skureppe

skureppe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
I'm not sure now.
well,Black Dog kills characters anyway.
You can just give Martin more chance to test.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

How does he kill them? if he was against Lady Lu Chu she would be the winner if Pit Boss were in play?

skureppe

skureppe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
yes,dog can't kill Lu Chu. in this situation your opponent won't trigger dog unless he has 3 dogs in hand with 3 free domians.
if you have Lu Chu,why not David Pan.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I don't have either at the mo, waiting for the set to come in, it was a hypothetical question, bur will definitely use David Pan when I get the pack

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Agreed, the Black Dog does not commit, so Martin Herring does not stop him.  But you CAN stop Black dog by sending two guys.  The first time your opponent plays it he will likely kill one of your guys.  Then you know he has it and can play around it.  He also can't play it if all his domains are drained.

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi I need to swap out inner council and martin herring. I have 1 x core set, secrets of arkham, denizens of the underworld and soon to have curse of the jade emperor (with seekers of knowledge end of August). I know I want bring in Mr David Pan and Peter Clover but won't get Peter till end of August, so any suggestions please? My opponent will be getting the new shub box so I will have to deal with them as well as his Cthulhu deck!

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Hi Sparky, sorry if you mentioned it already, but does your friend have a big carpool and playing for several years ?

Overall even if you're not yet winning games as much as you would like, seems to me you're doing pretty well with just a couple of boxes and picking up the game recently.

Syndicate is a good choice if you don't want to chase many old Asylum Packs - with CotJE and SoA you should feel the boost and be competitive.

Some match-ups are unforgiving though, so building the deck is just half the work, only practice will get you there.

If you are familiar enough with the composition of your friend's deck, I'd suggest you make proxies of his deck (i.e., take 50 of your own unused cards, put them in plastic protectors and front them with pieces of white paper bearing the name of the proxied cards you don't own) and play games against it by yourself.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Nope, he's also a new player with something like Core + Secrets of Arkham + Cthulhu box.  Maybe a little more by now?

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
He has words of power and the thousand young now