Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Attack Run up on CardgameDB

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I actually like Vader over Fett simply because his ability is continuous whereas Fett's ability only works when he first enhances the fighter unit, and you need other ways to detach and reattach him for more captures. Also, Vader's pod will work well with other Sith and Navy TIE pods, but for Fett you don't have many other Scum pods with the same focus on vehicle, so you'll have to splash him with either Sith or Navy, but Vader can do that much better by comparison.

But after the disappointing DS pods from Evasive Maneuvers, I'm glad to see DS having two very strong sets in Attack Run.

I think for me I can see about 3 different ways to incorporate Fett into a deck. Vader is definitely a 1 trick pony. You might not play him all black squadron but it's definitely a Navy or Navy/Sith Ties deck. Did he make them stronger than they are? I'm not sure. He doesn't come with resources which is a downside for me, limiting some of his versatility outside of Black Squadron.

But I like combos and I like that Fett's set is a mixture of aggro and removal control with lots of combo options. I kind of wish both ships were Elite but I'm not going to complain. Elite was getting a bit of of hand anyway.

But I'm totally stoked to try them both.

hundreds

hundreds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Also consider some of the negative effects Vaders ability has.

Speeder bike doesn't die if it loses edge. Lol that's the only one I can think of.

Forced reactions get turned off?

Also, any idea why they made vader cost 5 when not piloting?

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Yep, Forced Reactions would be turned off.

I'm guessing Vader stayed cost 5 because that's what previous Vaders have been and he still has the same icons and damage capacity... but yeah, he's not an efficient unit at 5 cost.

Blake333

Blake333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

All Luke's, leia,yodas, and. Vaders. Cost the same. Don't know if they will keep that or not

doctormungmung

doctormungmung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Hey guys-

I just wanted to drop a note to say that we are aware that the new cards from Attack Run "break" the deckbuilder by causing the NaN value to show up for resources and Force icons. We're currently working on a fix and this should be functional again soon. The first three packs in the Rogue Squadron cycle and Between the Shadows also caused this problem, but they are now fixed in the deckbuilder.

Thanks, and enjoy your deck building!

Evan

Thanks, this is great!  I just wanted to make sure that you also knew that if you searched just rebel objectives in the deckbuilder, it stops at Green Squadron Deployment, and doesn't have any of the newer objectives.  But if you search all LS objectives, the Rebel stuff shows up.

sdrewthomson

sdrewthomson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

All Luke's, leia,yodas, and. Vaders. Cost the same. Don't know if they will keep that or not

The two Leias don't cost the same.

So there's precedent for changing it.

• Blake333 likes this

CobraBubbles

CobraBubbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

I'm guessing Vader stayed cost 5 because that's what previous Vaders have been and he still has the same icons and damage capacity... but yeah, he's not an efficient unit at 5 cost.

Maybe not, but you can get him for free with either his Advanced's reaction or Bail Out :D

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

He is a 4 health elite unit with 4 combat icons still. 

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Maybe not, but you can get him for free with either his Advanced's reaction or Bail Out :D

And he's very efficient if you manage to get him that way... Though you may actually prefer him being dead so you can bring him back with Stay On Target.

Pipes

Pipes

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 156 posts

Thanks, this is great!  I just wanted to make sure that you also knew that if you searched just rebel objectives in the deckbuilder, it stops at Green Squadron Deployment, and doesn't have any of the newer objectives.  But if you search all LS objectives, the Rebel stuff shows up.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll see if we can fix that.

• doctormungmung and Wrath87 like this

BakaMatt

BakaMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I'd probably put Luke's set above Vader's merely because Vader's set seems to need to be in black squadron decks to get the most out of it. 

I keep seeing this, but am not convinced. The single reaction on Vader's TIE can't be that much of a driving force, so is it the potential synergy with all the Black Squadron keywording? Guarding the Wing still doesn't light up my fire even alongside this. I do admit it's a nifty trick to double strike with the character Vader via Black Squadron Assault, but what am I not seeing in the Black Squadron sets that gets the most out of this?

Vader works on any vehicle and does not have a prohibitive pilot cost. Closed Formation works on all fighters. I Have You Now works with high edge. This objective could slot into a few different places.

Slio9

Slio9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Oh, if this goes for Forced Interrupts too this is ripe for abuse by a cunning Jedi. Block every ship Vader's piloting with a Dagobah Nudj, and watch the Death Star Dial plummet when Life Creates It or Hyperspace Marauder start bringing them back. 

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

Oh, if this goes for Forced Interrupts too this is ripe for abuse by a cunning Jedi. Block every ship Vader's piloting with a Dagobah Nudj, and watch the Death Star Dial plummet when Life Creates It or Hyperspace Marauder start bringing them back. 

Also goes for Forced Interrupts.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts

I think the new Vader is definitely going to need some clarification in regards to what he does and doesn't turn off when in an engagement.  I hope you get a response soon dbmeboy.

Have the response:

Keywords are card abilities. Thus, Vader will interact with them on that level. That said, he only stops ones that have a point of initiation. This is most of them, but not all.

Of all the keywords, only a few of them have any function during an engagement: edge (X), shielding, protect, and targeted strike. Of these, only edge is a constant; all the others have points at which they initiate. Thus, Darth Vader's ability can stop the use of shielding (if Darth Vader is attacking, obviously it's too late for him to stop it if he's defending), any sort of protect, and targeted strike.

• doctormungmung, Wrath87, yodaman and 1 other like this

hundreds

hundreds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Should this be double checked?

Toggle

Toggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

It's still initiated, even if it's not optional.  From the rulebook:

While most card abilities are voluntary, some interrupt and reaction effects are preceded by the word “Forced.” Such effects must be resolved immediately whenever their specified trigger occurs as described in their effect text.

If an effect includes the word “cannot” in its description, that effect is absolute and cannot be overridden by other effects. 

"Cannot" wins over "must".

hundreds

hundreds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
Not always wins

BakaMatt

BakaMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I think we're going to see a ton of Training Procedures for the foreseeable future, with Vader as a star pilot. You could potentially add him as a pilot to every engagement. Considering just how much he shuts down, that's insane. (Not to mention the large icon spread he brings to the TIE Fighter Patrols)

Bring in Fel, DS-61-3, maybe even pilot Boba Fett - consider that 3* of the 5 cards in The Hunter's Flight can be played without needing Scum affiliation match and it doesn't even look terrible as a splash in a predominantly Navy deck (and his removal options are crazy enough that I think he's well worth it).

*Assuming you pitch Boba and bring him out using Stay on Target.

Queklaine

Queklaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

I like the new boba set but I do see one weakness to boba himself.  He doesn't do anything while on a ship.  Hes great using bail out and putting into play from discard pile using the edge card.  But what it the ship hes piloting just gets locked down with focus tokens and never destroyed?  Then boba gets to sit in a ship at watch the battle threw the window.  For that reason, I don't really want him piloting the new slave.  I want him on something thats easier to kill with the slave on the board so I can retrieve him when bobas vehicle dies.  The only way to avoid this that I can think of is to kill your own units to free up boba.  I wish boba at least added something like elite to whatever he pilots or gave an additional bonus to the slave if hes on it much like manalorin armor works for him.  I know I'm nit-picking and I do like the set.  Just thinking of ways to deal with it

Decar

Decar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

You could play Boba on a Black Sun Headhunter.

• sdrewthomson likes this