Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Endor cycle!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

Solaris

Solaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1242 posts

Do time gaps really bother anyone in card games?

We got kyle in a cycle with yoda. ..and he died 2 years before kyle was a jedi

Well, the EU stuff is now non-canon so technically characters like Thrawn and Xizor don't exist in the Star War continuity. That's why I'm baffled why all the rejection toward the Prequels being part of the LCG, since it doesn't make any sense anyway. And that's not why we play the game. 

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

Well, the EU stuff is now non-canon so technically characters like Thrawn and Xizor don't exist in the Star War continuity. That's why I'm baffled why all the rejection toward the Prequels being part of the LCG, since it doesn't make any sense anyway. And that's not why we play the game.

Except that the conflict between the Empire and Rebels is a lot less complicated than the one in the Clone Wars. This game is based on a Dark v Light with a ticking clock. You can't thematically shoehorn the Republic and Separatists into that. Their war was massively political trying to get worlds to join or remain with them. The DS especially is working on both sides and while the Jedi only fought on one side the troops they fought with are actually the backbone of the Empire. Many many factions on the separatist side are actually light side even if the armies aren't.

I'm not saying the prequels and clone wars aren't an exciting setting for a card game but it's massively complicated and just doesn't thematically fit this game in any way.
  • Zouavez and DMrules like this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

So there was a great interview where they explained what Legends is. Its not throwing out what came before...its setting a PRIME continuity for the movies and attached media. Legends didn't necessarily not happen..they are just that... legends. Passed down, changed over time, parts are true/parts are not. This is the idea behind legends. Streamline the continuity for the mainstream audience, pull into it aspects that work, but not try to contort yourself to fit with ALL the media over the last 30 years.

So in essense Thrawn could very well exist in the real continuty as could katarn...we just havnt seen them in the PRIME continuity yet.

I think its REALLY awesome of them to think about it this way and I hope they do a good job at keeping a good balance

• IdeYoshiya likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Except that the conflict between the Empire and Rebels is a lot less complicated than the one in the Clone Wars. This game is based on a Dark v Light with a ticking clock. You can't thematically shoehorn the Republic and Separatists into that. Their war was massively political trying to get worlds to join or remain with them. The DS especially is working on both sides and while the Jedi only fought on one side the troops they fought with are actually the backbone of the Empire. Many many factions on the separatist side are actually light side even if the armies aren't.

I'm not saying the prequels and clone wars aren't an exciting setting for a card game but it's massively complicated and just doesn't thematically fit this game in any way.

That to me is what makes it so interesting. Deciding who falls where, and incorporating them into this battle of GOOD vs EVIL. There is more grey in the prequels but we know where most fall and thats what makes it exciting (and should have made for good movies, damn you lucas)

Even that element of grey could be interesting as a mechanic... switching sides /deception ect...

I dont think the clock (even tho its a death star) is a click down to the Empire winning...I think its the inevitability of EVIL to win if good does nothing.

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
FFG is simply not going to touch the prequels, nor may Disney allow them to do so. It's bad for business to look back towards the bad elements of the franchise. Even what they have taken from the EU is from the earlier stuff which was more well regarded then subsequent novels. Thier willingness to pull from the EU should indicate how not willing they are to look to the prequels.

And again simply put the Clone Wars do not fit the overall time line nor the theme of the game. At all.

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

FFG is simply not going to touch the prequels, nor may Disney allow them to do so. It's bad for business to look back towards the bad elements of the franchise. Even what they have taken from the EU is from the earlier stuff which was more well regarded then subsequent novels. Thier willingness to pull from the EU should indicate how not willing they are to look to the prequels.

And again simply put the Clone Wars do not fit the overall time line nor the theme of the game. At all.

Will have to agree to disagree. I see what you are saying but I look at them as challenges that would produce something awesome, not an absolute impossibility. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Prequels aren't happening, so why are we talking about them in the Endor cycle thread?
  • Zouavez likes this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

It's also a lot easier to put in EU stuff, which is for the most part close to the Trilogy era. If they do decide to do something with the prequels, I suspect it will be as a new game. 

FWIW I'm not that familiar with EU, so I'm excited to see a cycle based on one of my favorite parts of the OT. Hopefully a Tatooine cycle is down the road somewhere too. 

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

EU is fine while Prequels aren't.  All prequel things should be erased from memory, if that was possible....  If only I could unsee episode 1-3.

Dxopherj

Dxopherj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
I just want my Padme playmat.

Jarratt

Jarratt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3660 posts

I just want my Padme playmat.

Wouldn't you need like 20 or so. 1 for each outfit.

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

TheEmpireBringsSexyBack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Do time gaps really bother anyone in card games?

it's a nerd game.  a goodly portion of players are going to be ocd/autistic about things like that.  consider the folks who only play single affiliation decks because mixing factions is deeply upsetting and unconscionable to them (whether they admit it or not)

• BobaFett, TheEmpireBringsSexyBack and medfreeman like this

hundreds

hundreds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Agfghhh spoilers!!

IdeYoshiya

IdeYoshiya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

consider the folks who only play single affiliation decks because mixing factions is deeply upsetting and unconscionable to them (whether they admit it or not)

Except nobody does that in this game...at least, not for that reason (playing single-affiliation decks does improve the reliability of the resource match). I'm sure if it had traditional deckbuilding, there would be people (like myself) who try for theme decks. But you can't really do that within the objective set system, so it's really something you either figure out how to deal with and move on, or play a different game.