Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First Look at Martell + Greyjoy Banner Deck

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

Since I'm impatient, I started building 2nd Edition decks a while ago, adding spoiled cards as they were revealed. We now have 167 out of 211 completely spoiled, along with several more partially spoiled or easy to guess (like economy).

This build looks to rush hard and apply intense pressure. Ideally, Greyjoys do the work early before the Martells clean up late. 

One problem is that Sunspear and Ghaston Grey discourage my opponent from attacking, so they'll defend more instead, thus preventing unopposed challenges (hurting Theon/Asha) or cutting into my margin of victory (hurting Viper). Maybe that's a good situation to be in?

Plots

Power Behind the Throne (close by standing the Viper)

Winds of Winter

Heads on Pikes

Wildfire Assault

A Clash of Kings (close by winning power challenges)

A Noble Cause

A Feast for Crows (close by winning dominance)

Other options: Reinforcements, Counting Coppers, Summons, Filthy Accusations, Confiscation, Marched to the Wall

Main deck

2x Iron Islands Fishmonger

2x Martell reducer character (card #110 or 112)

2x Greyjoy chud (whichever is best out of card #72, 75 or 76)

3x Martell chud (card #110 or 112)

3x House Dayne Knight

2x Dornish Paramour

3x Palace Spearman

1x Edric Dayne

1x Maester Wendamyr

1x Aeron Damphair

1x Obara Sand

1x Areo Hotah

2x Theon Greyjoy

1x Asha Greyjoy

2x Arianne Martell

2x Littlefinger

2x Doran Martell

3x The Red Viper

3x Roseroad

3x Kingsroad

1x Greyjoy reducer location (card #78 or 79)

1x Blood Orange Grove 

1x Iron Throne

2x Sunspear

2x Ghaston Grey 

1x Bodyguard

2x Milk of the Poppy

1x Throwing Axe

1x Dawn

1x Seal of the Hand (probably too expensive, easily cut)

1x Risen from the Sea

2x Superior Claim

2x Doran's Game

1x Tears of Lys

1x Put to the Sword

34 Characters

13 Locations

6 Attachments

7 Events

60 Total

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts
Uh oh...

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

Uh oh...

Alright, I've figured out how to remember it now. Apologies. Won't happen again. 

• agktmte likes this

Gamaran

Gamaran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

i would include at least one more throwing axe if you are expecting people to block your challenges or not include it at all. One axe in a 60 cards deck will show up randomly, not when you need it.

I would also advice strongly against running superior claim on anything Martell. Doran's Game is equal from turn 3, and better form then on. So you would get max value out of Superior Claim when using it from turn 1-3, and i dont think a early greyjoy focuses on power challenges early on.

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Alright, I've figured out how to remember it now. Apologies. Won't happen again.

You are not alone, just the most prolific.

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

i would include at least one more throwing axe if you are expecting people to block your challenges or not include it at all. One axe in a 60 cards deck will show up randomly, not when you need it.

I would also advice strongly against running superior claim on anything Martell. Doran's Game is equal from turn 3, and better form then on. So you would get max value out of Superior Claim when using it from turn 1-3, and i dont think a early greyjoy focuses on power challenges early on.

Agreed about the axe. As far as claim vs. game goes, it depends. Consider how likely you are to win each challenge type by 5 or more STR. GJ is a bit light on Int icons, but have plenty of Pow icons. And if you are rushing, overcomitting in the power challenge to trigger superior claim is likely a better choice than the intrigue challenge. But it does depend on icon distribution and play style. In short, it isn't as obvious as just saying Doran's Game is better because it gets more power starting in round 4. If you are really going crazy for the rush, you could try some of each...

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Huh, interesting. I'm brand new, so I love to see what more experienced players are doing with the new set. x3

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

I just don't get Red Viper.He seems like a good closer, if a bit inconsistent. Should players try to rely on him as a clean up hitter(current environment) or use him as a relief guy to edge out the last two or three power? So far, the one solid thing I see is the easy decision of when to play him. It seems the least tempting to play him at a bad time compared to some of the other 7's which, ironically, can keep him alive.

Gamaran

Gamaran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

I just don't get Red Viper.He seems like a good closer, if a bit inconsistent. Should players try to rely on him as a clean up hitter(current environment) or use him as a relief guy to edge out the last two or three power? So far, the one solid thing I see is the easy decision of when to play him. It seems the least tempting to play him at a bad time compared to some of the other 7's which, ironically, can keep him alive.

The biggest challenge with Martell is going to be to reach plot 5-6 with a decent board. I think some games you wont have a choice and have to down a strong card to support the holes on your board. Going full greed with The Viper and just having him on hand, waiting for him to close might cost you the game. Its far from the optimal play but Martell has some tricks to maneuver from bad situations. The Viper cant be Lys'ed and even when Milked he is still a tricon 7 str.

• Ironswimsuit likes this