Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night's Watch thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
837 replies to this topic

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

Oh, that's disappointing. Such a potentially cool bit of trait synergy that's been left on the floor.

I think we still need some more rangers to make it really good. It's going to be rough to pay by kneeling out two 4+ cost characters.

Yea. We do have the little cheapo rangers for 2 and Waymar for 3. I hope we get one more ranger in that cost range in the next few chapter packs.

The unknown card in True Steel should be a character. Here's hoping it's a good ranger for an affordable price.

hagarrr

hagarrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Brandon's Gift is praying it's a Builder...

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

Brandon's Gift is praying it's a Builder...

Even if it were, would you play Brandon's Gift?

I think it's best to just pretend that card was never printed.

We get 3 cards this chapter pack instead of 2, and I imagine it was because of Brandon's Gift. Someone at FFG challenges another designer to build the worst card in the game, and they did. Now they had to make up for that empty slot for NW haha.

hagarrr

hagarrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Someone will win a tournament soon with NW Fealty and have 1x Brandon's Gift. You wait and see ;)

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
The look on your face when you find out there's actually 1 less NW card in the last pack to compensate.

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
----

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Judging by the numbers of the spoiled cards, NW gets an extra card in this cycle. They just removed a neutral spot in no middle ground it seems.

Nestalim

Nestalim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

http://thronesdb.com...-winner-9-0-1.0

• BayushiSezaru and GalacticTaco like this

Guardian1985

Guardian1985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

with the upcoming expansion i am having hard time fitting For the Watch! in my plot deck even though it seems pretty decent.

have any of you tried it and with what results?

i currently run

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

with the upcoming expansion i am having hard time fitting For the Watch! in my plot deck even though it seems pretty decent.

have any of you tried it and with what results?

i currently run

I've stopped running Confiscation in a lot of my decks. It just seems pointless at this point. If you confiscate the Seal of the Hand, they'll just play another one.

If you confiscate a milk, they'll just give KoF a Mare in heat.

It just becomes annoying haha. I think if you are running a deck dedicated to defending the Wall, it would be better to have more plots that directly impact that win strategy, which I believe For the Watch! does very well.

However, I have not yet played with my NW fealty deck since NMG came out, so all I can do is theory craft at this point.

Guardian1985

Guardian1985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

I've stopped running Confiscation in a lot of my decks. It just seems pointless at this point. If you confiscate the Seal of the Hand, they'll just play another one.

If you confiscate a milk, they'll just give KoF a Mare in heat.

It just becomes annoying haha. I think if you are running a deck dedicated to defending the Wall, it would be better to have more plots that directly impact that win strategy, which I believe For the Watch! does very well.

However, I have not yet played with my NW fealty deck since NMG came out, so all I can do is theory craft at this point.

I run Confiscation for the sole perpose of unmilking Benjen. Denying your oppents stealth goes a long way in protecting the Wall and the repeatable 2 power gain from his interrupt is very nice bonus. Occasionaly removing Fishing Net or Kof Mare is also an option.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I'm going to the Indianapolis Regionals on Saturday.

I'm down to NW Fealty or Martell Banner of the Watch.

What are you guys thinking with the new meta that First Snow has created?

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
I recommend both, highly
  • GalacticTaco likes this

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I recommend both, highly

My concern is that Lannister is everywhere.

And I don't know which one handles Lannister better. In my test games, both are below average against Lanni.

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Pre First Snow I never had a problem with lanni with either, post first snow... no idea

Hotpie

Hotpie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I think that Martel banner of the watch holds up a bit better against first snow because of Arianne. If they are running Lanister control, Nym and attained will help against paid off which in my testing has been really powerful against intrigue weak decks.

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Got a few test games at a local store with my NW fealty deck last monday. Basically demolished Greyjoy Fealty, although skill of pilot was to be taken into consideration.
I've played one match against my girlfriend's Lanni/Rose and I've also played two games against a Lanni/Sun deck based around first snow.
That deck ran many icon removing attachments, paid off, naval superiority, brothel madams. A good choke deck with a bunch of jumpers, of particular note was the Queen's assassin. Quite aggro. 
It's a draw.
I conceded one match when he hit 11 Power seeing as I would've had some difficulty climbing back with my 8 power (with no characters to his Tywin, Nymeria and Tyrion), and He's conceded the other to me since we realized he played many attachments on no attachments character (it was late for both of us) but even then I was ahead 10 power to his 5...not bad considering his first turn Naval worked.

Some key plays:
Played For the Watch during his Game of Thrones... we both laughed at how well time that was. 
Played Fortified Position on his First Snow Turn, removing his econ advantage from Tywin and reducer chuds. His Tyrion and Tywin were useless and he had no money to pay for both of his Queen Assassins (that he had played in set up) when they returned into his hand. He had barely enough money to pay for one to serve as Military claim. 
He was lucky to claim my Watchers on the Walls for Intrigue before every Military challenge he made...each time. It would've cost him Tywin, Jaime and Nymeria. 
Managed to pop Sword in Darkness on a chud Military challenge on his turn, the first one. 

Some lessons:
Plots with control effects rule over those with econ. As long as I could play one or two characters and have a gold or Fealty standing, I found out I was okay.
I had strong characters out on all First snow turns: Benjen, Will (my mvp), Ranging Party, Alliser, dupes, Jon Snow (yes I've included him in in case I need to switch to an offensive strategy and as int protection for first snow)
I included both Watchers on the Wall and Sword in the Darkness. My reasoning is I can either pop one, or the other as my opponent cannot effectively play trying to counter both unless they are bara and play a ridiculous amount of Seen in Flames. 
I ran no Hand's Judgments. Risky against Targ, but I had to cut something...and I'll try to dance around challenges or throw Benjen in there and have a backup in case I lose a character to Dracarys, mainly throw chuds in challenges. With The Wall I'm not too worried about Blood of the Dragon and with the Practice blades, I'm not too scared about Plaza. 

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

Got a few test games at a local store with my NW fealty deck last monday. Basically demolished Greyjoy Fealty, although skill of pilot was to be taken into consideration.
I've played one match against my girlfriend's Lanni/Rose and I've also played two games against a Lanni/Sun deck based around first snow.
That deck ran many icon removing attachments, paid off, naval superiority, brothel madams. A good choke deck with a bunch of jumpers, of particular note was the Queen's assassin. Quite aggro. 
It's a draw.
I conceded one match when he hit 11 Power seeing as I would've had some difficulty climbing back with my 8 power (with no characters to his Tywin, Nymeria and Tyrion), and He's conceded the other to me since we realized he played many attachments on no attachments character (it was late for both of us) but even then I was ahead 10 power to his 5...not bad considering his first turn Naval worked.

Some key plays:
Played For the Watch during his Game of Thrones... we both laughed at how well time that was. 
Played Fortified Position on his First Snow Turn, removing his econ advantage from Tywin and reducer chuds. His Tyrion and Tywin were useless and he had no money to pay for both of his Queen Assassins (that he had played in set up) when they returned into his hand. He had barely enough money to pay for one to serve as Military claim. 
He was lucky to claim my Watchers on the Walls for Intrigue before every Military challenge he made...each time. It would've cost him Tywin, Jaime and Nymeria. 
Managed to pop Sword in Darkness on a chud Military challenge on his turn, the first one. 

Some lessons:
Plots with control effects rule over those with econ. As long as I could play one or two characters and have a gold or Fealty standing, I found out I was okay.
I had strong characters out on all First snow turns: Benjen, Will (my mvp), Ranging Party, Alliser, dupes, Jon Snow (yes I've included him in in case I need to switch to an offensive strategy and as int protection for first snow)
I included both Watchers on the Wall and Sword in the Darkness. My reasoning is I can either pop one, or the other as my opponent cannot effectively play trying to counter both unless they are bara and play a ridiculous amount of Seen in Flames. 
I ran no Hand's Judgments. Risky against Targ, but I had to cut something...and I'll try to dance around challenges or throw Benjen in there and have a backup in case I lose a character to Dracarys, mainly throw chuds in challenges. With The Wall I'm not too worried about Blood of the Dragon and with the Practice blades, I'm not too scared about Plaza. 

I also tested NW Fealty last night and I found a lot of the same things to be true.

I went 1-1 vs Greyjoy Sun, 1-0 vs Greyjoy Fealty and 1-0 vs Lanni LotC (though he had some very obvious play mistakes, from my point of view).

I'd also gone 4-2 on OCTGN, with a loss against Lannister LotC and Targaryen Fealty, and wins against Tyrell Fealty, Tyrell LotC, Stark Stag and Martell Watch on OCTGN. I've changed things a bit since those 2 losses though.

During the 10 games I've played with the deck, I've killed 1. Asha and Theon, 2. Asha and Balon, 3. Euron, 4. Tywin and the Mountain, 5. Khal Drogo and a Braided Warrior, 6. Randyll and a Tyrell Army, 7. Robb Stark a dominance stander and a dupe off of Eddard, and 8. I almost killed Tywin and Jaime, but he had two hand's judgments to my one with The Watcher on the Walls.

Definitely hoping that people continue to test the Watcher.

In the 4 games last night, First Snow was played against me each time, and had virtually no effect on me. I always had at least 1 or 2 ranging parties out and another high cost character by the time they could bring out First Snow. In one game, I had 2 ranging parties and Will along with Aemon, a reducer and an old forest hunter and he still had to play it even though he only had Euron to survive his own first snow. I promptly Watcher'd him that turn haha. Although, in retrospect, I could have just done a heavy military and killed him anyway. Meh.

Old Bear Mormont is the star of the deck, with Benjen a close 2nd. I triggered Old Bear's interrupt 5 times in 4 games. Twice it was on a For the Watch! turn. Turns out people are not all that willing to give up a character that they know is going to lose a challenge, and they'd much prefer just defend all 3 challenges themselves. In one of the games, I did For the Watch! against a Greyjoy deck and he didn't have an intrigue icon. So he had to choose either military or power to throw away, and I had old Bear and Benjen and Will, so he was unable to get anything through anyway, so he just passed. I got intrigue with Will, power with Old Bear and Benjen and then, because of Old Bear's ability, I played a second Ranging Party and then won dominance because of that.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about the deck. Raiding longships are a hassle, but I have 3 practice blades and a Longclaw (really wish I could fit two longclaws, but alas, I cannot.). Each loss was close and the wins were huge. The win against Lanni LotC was something like 15 to 3. That game was basically over when Tywin got Watched.

jrosen9

jrosen9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Any chance you could post that deck Joe?

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

Any chance you could post that deck Joe?

I'll pm you, I don't want to post it until after Regionals on Saturday.