Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night's Watch thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
837 replies to this topic

Guardian1985

Guardian1985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

whitch plots do you guys run?

i find it hard balancing economy plots with utility / control plots and i have come to the realization that half the game is won in the plot phase.

TravisSnow

TravisSnow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Feast of Crows/ Clash of kings
Wildfire
Trading with Pentoshi
For the Watch
Fortified Position
Calm over Westeros
Building Orders/ Calling the Banners/ 

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

I do 2 Castles, 3 Walls and 2 Shadow Towers.

I wish I could run 3 Castles, but I just don' have the space. Maybe if I cut out the Watchers.

But that would really bum me out.

With the other neutral locations, isn't that a lot? Totaling around 15 locations?

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
15 locations, low events , high characters
  • scantrell24, uBaHoB and JoeFromCincinnati like this

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

whitch plots do you guys run?

i find it hard balancing economy plots with utility / control plots and i have come to the realization that half the game is won in the plot phase.

These are the 7 plots I run and I'll give a reasoning for each:

Feast of Crows:

In a deck that relies on the Wall for most of its power gain, this plot is great for a variety of reasons. Not only is the 6 gold more than the average plot, but it also provides you with a few other benefits. If you have the Iron Throne out, this plot basically guarantees you 3 power at the end of the round (assuming they do not also have an Iron Throne.) If you do not have the Iron Throne out, it basically changes the way your opponent makes challenges. They can either choose to do their challenges, and you can choose to keep your characters standing, winning you dominance and 3 power, or they can pass their challenges or only do 1 or maybe 2 challenges, and perhaps allow your Wall to remain standing in order to deny you dominance.

The 4 reserve doesn't hurt too much because you can run the Iron Throne and you have Samwell Tarly for that additional reserve as well.

Wildfire Assault

This plot not only keeps the board under control, by bringing the game back down to 3 characters, but you can also use it as a finishing plot. Having Benjen Stark on the board often times makes your opponent cautious about winning a military challenge against you. They know that at any time, Benjen can go back into your deck and you gain 2 power. So late in the game, when you have 11 or 12 power, they may skip military altogether for fear of you killing Benjen and getting that much closer to victory. Wildfire takes that decision out of their hands and allows you to kill Benjen whenever you need to. That may be when you have a second Benjen in your hand or when you are at 13 power, to win the game before your opponent has time to do anything.

In addition, with First Snow of Winter out, there are a lot of 4-7 cost characters running around. If your opponent has 4 high value characters out, Wildfire can be an extremely dangerous plot. I've had games where I've killed Cersei and the Hound because my opponent had Tywin, Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei and the Hound out at the same time. There is also Gregor and Syrio that Lannister runs that are good targets to nail with Wildfire. Your characters are generally lower value, so you don't mind losing a Ser Waymar Royce and Steward at the Wall in exchange.

Finally, for whatever reason, people think Night's Watch hates Wildfire. So it'll always catch your opponent off guard because they'll never see it coming.

Trading with Pentoshi

This is your go to money plot. When you have Old Bear or Benjen and the Wall in your hand, you can use Trading to get out the Wall and a few other characters to defend it. I wouldn't recommend using it first turn, since Naval Superiority basically ends the game right there.

For the Watch

I don't even have space to talk about how amazing this plot it. It is great against Lord of the Crossing decks, it is great against factions that are missing intrigue icons, it is great against factions that want to win all 3 challenges. It is great with The Sword in the Darkness. It is great with the Shadow Tower. It is great with Longclaw. It is great with Old Bear. There is so much synergy with this plot, it's crazy. I don't think there will be a time when I don't run it.

Fortified Position

The best control plot in the game. If Balon is kneeling your Wall, stop him for a turn. If Stealth is out of control, handle it for a turn. If you just really need to ensure you get the Wall that turn, play this plot. Your characters are hurt by it too, obviously, but not nearly as much as your opponent. Your biggest strength is in your locations, which this does not blank. This plot wins games and it has above average gold to boot.

Calm over Westeros

The best opening plot in the game right now. It is one of the few 5 gold plots that is available to everyone that isn't hit by Naval Superiority. You can protect your hand if you are worried about something in your hand. You can also protect your characters if you are playing against an aggro deck. In addition, you can open with another plot and save this plot for a few situations such as:

1. You are playing against Targaryen and want to save it for when Drogo is out and you expect a Winds of Winter turn.

2. You are winning and really need to protect your power tokens to ensure victory that turn.

3. You have the Wall in your hand but you have something else that you really need to play first, so you want to protect your hand so that they can't randomly discard the Wall before you can play it next turn.

Building Orders

As a deck that relies on the Wall for the majority of your power, this plot is very strong. It isn't essential, but it is a very nice addition. Added bonus: you can go get the Shadow Tower, Castle Black, Iron Throne, Practice Blade, Littlebird or Longclaw to fit whatever need you have if you already have the Wall. Hell, you can even grab an economy location if you want. There are plenty of targets in a NW deck for this plot. It'll never be a bad choice to play it.

There are other options, such as Calling the Banners if you want to run even more economy. There is also Filthy Accusations, although I find that to be a little less impactful since there is Seal of the Hand in the game and if they had it, you just wasted your plot that turn. You can also look at possibly running Clash of Kings for the initiative and additional power. Game of Thrones possibly stops your opponent's challenges phase if you catch them with their pants down. Confiscation if you're worried about Seals and your guys getting milked. Counting Coppers for card draw. Heads on Spikes for surprise kill and power gain.

Of those plots, the only two I'd really consider are Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings. However, with Lannister everywhere right now, Game of Thrones has lost a lot of its value. Clash of Kings is always a good plot, but I just can't fit it in often enough.

I hope this helps :).

• GalacticTaco and Guardian1985 like this

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

With the other neutral locations, isn't that a lot? Totaling around 15 locations?

15 locations is a good spot, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to cut a single one.

I'd even run more if I could.

But I'm accustomed to high location decks. I also play Martell Banner of the Watch, which is an 18 location deck.

Here's my NW fealty deck list: https://thronesdb.co...-wall-alone-1.0

A little over half characters, a quarter locations, a quarter attachments/events. I wish I could fit more characters in, but the locations, events and attachments are too important, imo.

• TravisSnow likes this

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
What about Fallen out of favor for a money plot?
Not as much as Trading, but you do not give away 3 gold which hurts less when Navaled and your opponent won't be able to flood the board as well.
It has decent stats: 7 initiative helps us go first and the 7 reserve combos well with NW's draw (ravens, The Watch has need)
Too bad outside of Yoren, NW can't abuse the sacrificed character...but with Chett next pack, you could just sacrifice a raven and get it back anyway...

Thoughts?

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

What about Fallen out of favor for a money plot?
Not as much as Trading, but you do not give away 3 gold which hurts less when Navaled and your opponent won't be able to flood the board as well.
It has decent stats: 7 initiative helps us go first and the 7 reserve combos well with NW's draw (ravens, The Watch has need)
Too bad outside of Yoren, NW can't abuse the sacrificed character...but with Chett next pack, you could just sacrifice a raven and get it back anyway...

Thoughts?

I'd personally rather keep my chud and give my opponent 3 gold.

With Night's Watch, every defender is valuable. Especially intrigue icons, which their reducers possess.

Plus, I want to be able to play my big money plot when I want to, not when my board state allows me to.

Discarding a raven and bringing it back with Chett is nice, but then you're giving up the card draw from the raven by intentionally leaving it on the board, and you're forcing yourself to either play Chett or already have Chett on the board when you're using this plot.

A lot of times, you want to play big money plots when you only have 1 or 2 characters on the board due to military claims and need to refill. So I could see times where you'd have to sacrifice a 3 gold apprentice or Waymar in order to play this plot, which nullifies the 3 gold you are not giving your opponent, plus the fact that you are getting 3 less gold than Trading.

I know it hurts to give your opponent gold, but in a defensive strategy, the Night's Watch is, in my mind, the faction that cares the least about what your opponent has on the board.

If a plot is going to be based on the board state, I would want it to be purely beneficial, like Feast for Crows, rather than having to have a specific board state as well as give up a character that, hopefully, is as disposable as I thought when the turn started.

That is, of course, just my opinion.

• TravisSnow likes this

TravisSnow

TravisSnow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Do we care at all about Chett or The Rookery?  Street of Steel maybe down the road. Location spot is cramped.  A properly timed Nightmares could be significantly more savaging then Milk of the Poppy. Neutral slots are so tight now.  Maybe when Old Bears Raven hits I will transition away from Little Birds and have an open spot then. 

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Depends. I think Milk is better since players are starting to include less confiscations in their plot deck. I'd say it's a meta call.
I like rookery as a 1x. Anything to increase reserve is worth it if you run the ravens and The Watch has Need.

I want to try Chett out. Maybe more in the last pack of the cycle (better targets) but I think he's ok if you want to discard cards for gold using the old forest hunters.
Too bad he doesn't cost 4 gold...

Guardian1985

Guardian1985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Do we care at all about Chett or The Rookery?  Street of Steel maybe down the road. Location spot is cramped.  A properly timed Nightmares could be significantly more savaging then Milk of the Poppy. Neutral slots are so tight now.  Maybe when Old Bears Raven hits I will transition away from Little Birds and have an open spot then. 

Chett could be a nice 1x allowing you to overdraw with the ravens and discarding them instead of another more usefull card since you can get them back, or getting back old bears raven if it gets discarded or confiscated or even getting gold from the old forest hunters as previously mentioned.

Regarding old bears raven even though it is crazy good on mormont himself with so many no attachments characters in nightwatch fealty i dont know if it would be advisable to run more than one, meaby two if you have the deck space. On the other hand in banner decks it is crazy good and that makes me sad since i want to run a competitive fealty deck.

With so many good negative or positive attachments getting released lately i see confiscation coming back with a vengeance.

Nightmares also targeting locations is very good at buying you a turn to find an answer which most of the time is enough or turning of key locations for your opponent. If only it worked with the Wall allowing you to get the 2 power without having to defend. Anyway with the upcoming release of craven they would make a nice pair.

thoughts?

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

went 3-1 with NW Fealty today, only lost against a Targ Crossing. I had a very bad setup and despite playing well and starting to grind back, he got to 15 power to my 8 (too little too late).

I finished first place anyway because no other players were undefeated and I had the best Strength of schedule. 

My wins were against an aggro NW fealty, and 2x Greyjoy fealty. 

The Wall deck works!

• JoeFromCincinnati likes this

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I think rookery is a nice 1 of. But I don't think it's worth it unless you're running halder. The two go hand in hand in my opinion.

I like Chett as a 1 of just because fetching anything from the discard pile is a strong option. I really wish he cost 1 more gold and had a power icon though...I don't get why we don't have an intrigue power bicon yet. The only faction in the entire game without that bicon type. Bizarre.

It facilitates Yoren by allowing you to march a Raven. It makes Old Bear's Raven much more dangerous. It makes you have a good option for Old Forest Hunter. All around good card. The only problem is he is underwhelming when you don't see any ravens or direwolves, which is a realistic concern when there is currently only 1 raven and 1 direwolf in the faction.

I went 3-2 in my spring kit tournament. It was technically 2-2 for the actual tournament, but the last round was against Lanni Crossing and he had such an insanely good start that I don't think it counts. Set up Jaime a reducing location and a 2 gold chud (forget which). Turn 1 Tywin off of his Trading and King's Road and, I believe, either Cersei or Tyrion. Treacheried my King's Road. Then turn 2 Mountain. 

We replayed and he didn't get an insane start and I beat relatively easily.

My other loss was to do nothing bara dominance. Set up the Iron Throne, Red Keep and a bastard. Turn 1 Mel and Gendry. Was able to trigger Mel each round. Declared no challenges all game and won 15-8 or 9.

• drakk, uBaHoB and GalacticTaco like this

GalacticTaco

GalacticTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

I was wondering how we would fare against Baratheon. 
From what I experienced with just the core set, Stannis is annoying to NW and their kneel was inconsistent and would eventually run out of steam. But now bara kneel is even more consistent and they have more tools that reward winning dominance.... so they are bein played more and more. 

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I was wondering how we would fare against Baratheon. 
From what I experienced with just the core set, Stannis is annoying to NW and their kneel was inconsistent and would eventually run out of steam. But now bara kneel is even more consistent and they have more tools that reward winning dominance.... so they are bein played more and more. 

Bara has always been a difficult faction to deal with, especially when Stannis arrives.

I personally hate the faction on a whole. But I've been told that that is not fair? I dunno. I just ******* hate Baratheon.

• Guardian1985 likes this

Guardian1985

Guardian1985

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Bara has always been a difficult faction to deal with, especially when Stannis arrives.

I personally hate the faction on a whole. But I've been told that that is not fair? I dunno. I just ******* hate Baratheon.

When the kneel train get's going you cant do anything, you cant play the game you just watch...

It's not really fun.

• gramyotron likes this

drakk

drakk

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

And now my watch begins

yayaba

yayaba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

For Wall decks, what do you do if you can't find the wall within the top 30 cards of your deck? That's no wall on setup, no wall on mulligan, no wall on building orders turn 1. No wall in the first 6 plot phases. No wall with only 1 raven out during that time for draw (I also have 3x in the deck along with 3x Walls). I was able to get a decent board spread going but with nothing to defend it was very difficult to accumulate power.

This is out of a NW Fealty deck so I feel like the deck only serves to protect the wall. But if you can't find the wall I'm not really sure what else you are supposed to do? Should I run 2x building orders to guarentee? Though I feel like the tempo hit to do so would be severe since that's two 4 gold plots with not much effect other than to fetch a card.

uBaHoB

uBaHoB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

For Wall decks, what do you do if you can't find the wall within the top 30 cards of your deck? That's no wall on setup, no wall on mulligan, no wall on building orders turn 1. No wall in the first 6 plot phases. No wall with only 1 raven out during that time for draw (I also have 3x in the deck along with 3x Walls). I was able to get a decent board spread going but with nothing to defend it was very difficult to accumulate power.

This is out of a NW Fealty deck so I feel like the deck only serves to protect the wall. But if you can't find the wall I'm not really sure what else you are supposed to do? Should I run 2x building orders to guarentee? Though I feel like the tempo hit to do so would be severe since that's two 4 gold plots with not much effect other than to fetch a card.

You Switch to offense. You characters are rather strong in that regard as well. I managed to outpace a Tyrell Banner of the Sun with pressure for the first 5 plots where I didn't had The Wall. The game ended 15-14 for me due to constant attacking. I got striped of most of my icons so protecting The Wall was not an option. Raging Party with Longclaw going all the way.

• GalacticTaco likes this

uBaHoB

uBaHoB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

SO here is what I think I'm heading to with WotN and CoW coming along. I'm at 62 cards and I have no idea what to cut. I tried to have in mind that First Snow of Winter but I still think I shouldn't play around it at all during deckbuilding.

Faction:
The Night's Watch

Agenda:
1x Fealty (Core Set)

Plot:
1x Building Orders (Core Set)
1x Counting Coppers (Core Set)
1x Fortified Position (Core Set)
1x Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
1x Here to Serve (Taking the Black)
1x Trading with the Pentoshi (The Road to Winterfell)
1x For the Watch! (No Middle Ground)

Character:
1x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Benjen Stark (Core Set)
1x Ghost (Core Set)
2x Maester Aemon (Core Set)
3x Old Bear Mormont (Core Set)
2x Samwell Tarly (Core Set)
1x Ser Waymar Royce (Core Set)
3x Messenger Raven (Core Set)
3x Old Forest Hunter (Core Set)
3x Ranging Party (Core Set)
3x Steward at the Wall (Core Set)
2x Veteran Builder (Core Set)
1x Will (Taking the Black)
2x Unsworn Apprentice (The Road to Winterfell)
2x Syrio Forel (The Road to Winterfell)
2x Ser Alliser Thorne (The King's Peace)

Attachment:
2x Little Bird (Core Set)
2x Longclaw (Core Set)
2x Practice Blade (The King's Peace)

Event:
2x The Hand’s Judgment (Core Set)
2x The Watch Has Need (Taking the Black)
2x The Watcher on the Walls (No Middle Ground)
2x Nightmares (Calm Over Westeros)

3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
2x Castle Black (Core Set)
2x The Shadow Tower (Wolves of the North)
1x Northern Rookery (Calm Over Westeros)