Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Night's Watch thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
837 replies to this topic

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

For me the Carpenter poses more questions. Can I drop all Neutral Economy? Add all the NW locations (Yes, Brandon's Gift included) and generate gold that way. We are all getting limited Econ this cycle (NW will probably be with reserve) and we already saw the Majestic econ location that The New Gift is.

The New Gift is a card draw location.

It's kind of garbage as an econ location.

• DarrellSnusy and RonaldGof like this

uBaHoB

uBaHoB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

It's kind of garbage as an econ location.

I do not agree with that in the slightest. Converting your dudes that reduce NW Characters to money is technically reducing Everything. A flexible economy is really strong feature, this is why Tywin money is so key.

Whit it you will draw at the end of Challenges just for the card if Steward is standing or at the start to fish for an answer.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I do not agree with that in the slightest. Converting your dudes that reduce NW Characters to money is technically reducing Everything. A flexible economy is really strong feature, this is why Tywin money is so key.

Whit it you will draw at the end of Challenges just for the card if Steward is standing or at the start to fish for an answer.

The econ part of the New Gift is a shittier Chataya's Brothel.

It's functional since it is paired with the draw, but if that were the only thing printed on that card, it would be beyond unplayable.

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Real problem with NewGift  is Silk cannot stand himself :P

ACloakOfRed

ACloakOfRed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I think the comment of it being beyond unplayable is pretty harsh if it was just the econ side of things. 

Fortunately though, it isn't just that and is an incredibly flexible card granting players more options for their characters. Situations may occur when an extra gold is required for an event, weighing up extra card draw against strength for dominance and such like.

Its a good all round card, I think the watch can make good use of it. 

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I think the comment of it being beyond unplayable is pretty harsh if it was just the econ side of things. 

Fortunately though, it isn't just that and is an incredibly flexible card granting players more options for their characters. Situations may occur when an extra gold is required for an event, weighing up extra card draw against strength for dominance and such like.

Its a good all round card, I think the watch can make good use of it. 

Very soon, assuming every faction will get one of the Slaver's Bay Port esque economy location, we'll get a NW location that is a 2 cost loyal limited non unique location that gives 1 gold for kneeling it. And then, if some condition is met (that we don't know yet), you get 2 gold.

Even if you only got the 1 gold every single turn from that location, the New Gift only produces 1 more gold (at most) at the additional cost of 2 steward kneels. 

If the economy part of the New Gift was the only thing it had printed on it other than limited, would you run The New Gift?

The spot gold is useful on occasion, certainly. But you can only even include the card in your deck because it offers the card draw aspect. The gold is just a little bit of topping on the cake.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. But I've now played a few games with the New Gift, and I have gone turns at a time without using either ability. I fear it may be a tad bit overrated except in dedicated Steward decks.

LoneElfRanger

LoneElfRanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Very soon, assuming every faction will get one of the Slaver's Bay Port esque economy location, we'll get a NW location that is a 2 cost loyal limited non unique location that gives 1 gold for kneeling it. And then, if some condition is met (that we don't know yet), you get 2 gold.

It's also possible NW is the exception. :D

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

It's also possible NW is the exception. :D

Let's not think like that haha.

ACloakOfRed

ACloakOfRed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

If the economy part of the New Gift was the only thing it had printed on it other than limited, would you run The New Gift?

The spot gold is useful on occasion, certainly. But you can only even include the card in your deck because it offers the card draw aspect. The gold is just a little bit of topping on the cake.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. But I've now played a few games with the New Gift, and I have gone turns at a time without using either ability. I fear it may be a tad bit overrated except in dedicated Steward decks.

Like I said its a fair comment that you do make, but I still believe that it may even make a one of maybe 2 at max in most NW decks with some exceptions.

The location it self may have other uses for your Nights watch cards such as halder for boosting strength or the card that gives you 1 extra gold for each 2 NW locations you control so its not entirely useless, so in my opinion looking in the broader sense its not a bad card that can be utilized for the watch. Not amazing, not bad but just an okay / good card.

Romitalia

Romitalia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

With all the new Night's Watch cards, I wanted to know your opinions on some cards from the first cycle.

First, Will. There are a lot of new rangers out, including Ser Jaremy Rykker who makes him a tricon, and cheap rangers such as the lost ranger. Also, with the haunted forest and all the new cards, it's much easier for the Night's watch to not lose unopposed challenges. Is Will good now?

Second, the watch has need. We can now make builder decks, and eventually steward and ranger decks. I think this card might become pretty good.

Finally, Brandon's Gift. Again, the builder deck can be quite strong, and Brandon's Gift could provide good economy. Then again, I know it was terrible, so maybe it's still not good? 

I'm very curious to hear what you all think about that.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

With all the new Night's Watch cards, I wanted to know your opinions on some cards from the first cycle.

First, Will. There are a lot of new rangers out, including Ser Jaremy Rykker who makes him a tricon, and cheap rangers such as the lost ranger. Also, with the haunted forest and all the new cards, it's much easier for the Night's watch to not lose unopposed challenges. Is Will good now?

Second, the watch has need. We can now make builder decks, and eventually steward and ranger decks. I think this card might become pretty good.

Finally, Brandon's Gift. Again, the builder deck can be quite strong, and Brandon's Gift could provide good economy. Then again, I know it was terrible, so maybe it's still not good? 

In my opinion, Will is still bad. You can throw 1 of him in a deck and feel okay about it but, honestly, I don't even know if Jaremy sees play in many defensive decks, since they have other priorities and all. If he makes it in defensive decks at all, Jaremy is probably a 1x splash as well, so relying on Jaremy to make Will good (since Will is almost certainly not showing up in any deck that isn't intending to defend all 3 challenges) is a trap.

I think the Watch Has Need will be very strong now. The builder deck, if built as a Wall deck (which it will be) still needs a little bit too much help to cover the icon spread (the intrigue icons, in particular, you need to bring in some Stewards and some Arry/Craster type characters) to go truly all builder. So I don't know if you run The Watch Has Need in that deck. In my current draft of the builder deck, I was only able to fit 15 builders in, so it could be a 1x in there. Even still, that may end up being the 1st or 2nd card cut to make it to your final deck count, since you're going to be running plenty of locations as well.

The deck I think the Watch Has Need will truly shine in is a Ranger aggro deck. In my first draft of that deck, I'm packing a hearty 23 rangers into that deck. It has a weakness to intrigue to a degree, but man, is it powerful in military and power challenges (especialy since Jaremy affects 11 ranger cards in that deck)

As for Brandon's Gift...It could be a 1x in a builder deck, I suppose. Like I said, unless there's something I'm missing, I'm not sure how you fit more than 15 builders into a builder deck. How much gold are you getting out of the Brandon's Gift? Well, it depends mostly on how early you see it. If I want to see it really early, I'd run it at 2 or 3x. But then I have to run a bad card at 2 or 3x.

I personally am not running it and not missing it either. It's still just a bad card.

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Those are some excelent questions. It is sometimes good to make a step back and take a look at cards that were considered average at most.

1. Will. I am not a person who plays pasive NW, but noticing current trends, he is now an AA character. Let's Face it, this is all thanks to Hunted Forrests. Not worth more than x1 in deck, but when he comes on board he can lock the field for good. This is all valid as long as you do not plan, on deckbuilding level, to initiate even one challange when being FP.

2. Watch has Need can replace Summons or even Here to Serve. In that function it can be priceless. I often am put in a situation when I have to decide whether to search for characters or marshall two others. This is a problem, but with new Economy Comming (NW location, Great Hall) this should be mitigated. 

3. Brandon's Gift is a bomb. Mono-NW-trait decks are fiction. It is not possible to to build something Valid in that domain. But I have great results using double digit number of builders in Jon+Longclaw deck. After Valar Brandon's Gift can be more usefull than any economy except Arbor. If you by any chance have Seasoned Woodsman then you can multiply your Gold. Practice Blade is essential in such approach but still, it allows you to outnumber and outgun opponnent very fast. However this always being x1 in deck is just a "fun card", not a one that you could build around.

ACloakOfRed

ACloakOfRed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
That new NW econ location though ❤️❤️❤️❤️

LoneElfRanger

LoneElfRanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

That new NW econ location though ❤️❤️❤️❤️

It's not bad, but you have very little control over how it activates unlike the Targaryen location.

gramyotron

gramyotron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Where Targ econ shines NW fails on all fronts (surviving Opponent's Valr).

Still first NW econ location was so desperately needed that I cannot be unhappy about it.

JoeFromCincinnati

JoeFromCincinnati

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1346 posts

I'm glad that Roseroads and Tywins and such count towards it.

Means that, most times, it'll be activated vs Lannister and Tyrell. And then it'll be activated against your opponent in, likely, 2 to 3 more turns throughout the game as well, regardless of Roseroads.

The strength it has over the Targ econ is that it is infinitely better to play on turn 1 because there's a ~90% chance your opponent played a 5 or higher on this turn and likely the second turn.

So playing it turn 1 and triggering it, you've already paid for it and then, from then on, it can be a rose road and have no negative impact on your board.

We'll see if it is a problem once every other faction gets their econ location and rose roads drop out of decks though haha.

Martell's econ location is crazy good if you build your plot deck around it, similar to how Targ builds their plot deck around Beggar King and Slaver's Bay Port.

LoneElfRanger

LoneElfRanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

It has the benefit of being NW-aligned for cards that check it (Eastwatch builder-guy-dude who makes money), but I think that was mentioned in the CGDB review.

• JoeFromCincinnati likes this

uBaHoB

uBaHoB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Considering we can reduce them in several ways (Builders) it may not be that bad. Still we have to be clear here we will not be able to leverage it the same way as Targ & GJ that have a point of no return, or Martel where the condition isn't that hard to build into.

Our depends completely on opponents "luck" which is terrible, and also gets in the way of one of our strategies which is the part that bothers me more.