Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Apparently us doomsday-ers were right

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Yah, that's the funny thing. There are plenty of games that companies have stopped making expansions for but when it happens to an LCG "it's dead."

Well, it's the downside to calling the expansion model "Living." 

• Mulletcheese and alexbobspoons like this

sparkyUK71

sparkyUK71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

They never released any expansions to "Chess" and that game is still going and I much prefer CoC lcg.
If its great, carry on playing it!!

Was thinking the same thing!
  • alexbobspoons likes this

ZenClix

ZenClix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I have always been interested in this game, and even more so am a long time Lovecraft fan.  I always hesitated buying-in given the massive card pool.  This announcement has actually made me comfortable to now invest in the game, and I will be buying a couple of core sets once it is re-printed.

• Greynomad38, Carthoris, jasonconlon and 4 others like this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
You wont regret it. Even with the end in sight, this game still offers more than a lot of other games out there.
  • Carthoris, LordTeacup and Cumber like this

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

I have always been interested in this game, and even more so am a long time Lovecraft fan.  I always hesitated buying-in given the massive card pool.  This announcement has actually made me comfortable to now invest in the game, and I will be buying a couple of core sets once it is re-printed.

Awesome :)
Dont forget though, they said they will publish all the small APs via pod.. but only MIGHT reprint the deluxe expansions IF demmand is high enough. So if you want a complete set it might be worth buying up the deluxe expansions now while they are all still in stock at most online retailers.
Then again there's also always the possibility that those jumping ship will put a good complete collection deal on eBay.
Best of luck.

ZenClix

ZenClix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Then again there's also always the possibility that those jumping ship will put a good complete collection deal on eBay.
Best of luck.

If I could actually buy a full play set of ALL the cards, I would do so in a second, very happily!!

• Antaiseito and alexbobspoons like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

The same thing happened when Warhammer: Invasion ended, several people were coming forth saying that the game was actually more attractive to them now that it was "complete".

In any event, I've played all the LCGs and Cthulhu is my favorite.  So much so that I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out another game to pick up because none of them seem as good to me.  You won't be disappointed.

I think my best bets at this point are Thrones 2.0 or L5R, but both are just speculative.  I feel it usually takes about a year's worth of releases to see how an LCG will turn out so that's about a year for Thrones and about 3 years for L5R.  Yikes!  So yeah, if you find a well-developed card game that's already available you're a lucky man :)

• DavFlamerock likes this

Carthoris

Carthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

In any event, I've played all the LCGs and Cthulhu is my favorite.  So much so that I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out another game to pick up because none of them seem as good to me.  You won't be disappointed.

I don't think I'll be getting into another LCG. I like Cthulhu just fine. It looks like FFG will continue to get my money for periodic game expansions, though, because I've recently come up to speed on BattleLore (2nd ed.).

• alexbobspoons likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I keep looking at the Battlelore app but haven't quite made it over the hump yet.  Maybe I'll get some iTunes cards for Christmas :)

Admittedly though, that one slipped below my radar as a game to follow.  I glanced at X-Wing and Imperial Assault, but not Battlelore. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll have to read up on it.

It's not that I don't like Cthulhu anymore of course, but I also like having new shinys to look forward to periodically, talking about cards with friends, maybe going to a couple tournaments a year, etc...

But, if I can't find a game worth collecting, I guess I'll just do without.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

I'll be out of the LCG dreadmill soon. The Hastur box and the next deluxe expansion for Netrunner will be the last LCG cards I'll get.

I'm currently more interested in board games and would also like to start a Star Wars RPG campaign.

• Unnamable and aronpolemic like this

alexbobspoons

alexbobspoons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

If I could actually buy a full play set of ALL the cards, I would do so in a second, very happily!!

I managed to get an almost complete set, only missing 1 deluxe and 7 APs so do keep your eyes peeled on the sales thread and ebay. Best of luck with that.

Also, my purchase of Warhammer Invasion was indeed similar, it being "complete" certainly was a factor that attracted me, and it was my first step away from a CCG and onto a LCG. That then lead to LotR, then CoC and now SW... its a compulsion.